Dynadot

Why An Old Domain Name That Was Never Used In A Web Site Is More Valuable Than A New One ?

NameSilo
Watch

blue crystal

Established Member
Impact
I can understand the higher value of an old domain name when it has a web site in its name and therefore potentially generating traffic linked to it.
But why an old domain name that is just seats in a registrar site can be more valuable than a new one ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is much like most of your other posts. It depends. It's debatable. Too many variables to draw any conclusions.

•••
•••
It isn't about age at all, it is about quality of name itself. Older domains are usually more valuable just because it was easier to reg good name back then, lets say 20y ago.

•••
It isn't about age at all, it is about quality of name itself. Older domains are usually more valuable just because it was easier to reg good name back then, lets say 20y ago.

Oh... I see. The old domains have a probabilistic advantage over the new ones.

•••
An older domain name has a digital footprint, whether it used a website or not.
A term like Cyber was created in the past, so was Cyber.com, so the older domain is more valuable because it was created in the past, along with the term.

•••
An older domain name has a digital footprint, whether it used a website or not.
A term like Cyber was created in the past, so was Cyber.com, so the older domain is more valuable because it was created in the past, along with the term.

But, does Google engine really takes into consideration passive digital footprints or is it just conjecture ?

•••
But, does Google engine really takes into consideration passive digital footprints or is it just conjecture ?
In my experience never used aged domain has no particular advantage over newly registered domain. But past website content and metrics similar to domain authority, backlinks, CF, TF are included in their ranking algorithms for sure.

Last edited:
•••
Domains are not valuable just because of age.

Aged domains just tend to be higher quality in general because what was available to register 10-20+ years ago is a lot higher quality than what is available today with 130M+ .COM taken.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back