IT.COM

discuss Why am I a domain investor?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
As we start 2017, I think one of the most important questions that is not often asked is the following, “Why am I a domain investor ?”
This business is no longer new, I am not saying it’s over but it’s no longer new. Most niches have been mined, drops have gotten more expensive in a lot of categories, there is competition on just about every continent.
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For me the answer is of course to make money.

I am not including full-time domainers. For them, it is a completely other context requiring a high income.

But for hobbyist domainers like me, with no significant income expectations and low budget, I think it is a fairly easy way to make enough money to pay a few bills.

Anyone can easily make $200/month. That might not seem much, but for some people that extra $2400 per year makes a HUGE difference. It can remove a lot of stress on them.

Once you have acquired a bit of knowledge and understanding about the world of domaining, I think $2500 profit per year is very easy to make with minimal effort.

This is why a lot of people are still doing it. After all, nobody would continue if they were losing money. They stay because it is profitable.

•••
This is why a lot of people are still doing it. After all, nobody would continue if they were losing money. They stay because it is profitable.
I'm afraid most domainers are losing money. They aren't doing proper accounting because they prefer not to know and they are not treating it like a business anyway, but like a hobby.
Many people are buying lottery tickets too, but few will ever win big sums ;)
The lottery ticket mentality is widespread among domainers.
Also, an investor is not a gambler. Accordingly, there are many more gamblers than investors.

•••
Why am I a domain investor?

Because I am very lazy and I like to work at home.. domaining is a very nice business for lazy people :xf.grin:

•••
Seen a easy way to turn a $1 into more

•••

Because I am very lazy and I like to work at home.. domaining is a very nice business for lazy people :xf.grin:

yes me too
I really don't like to work more then 14 hours too

•••
Land where I live is expensive. Internet land is affordable . Both can bring equal ROI.

•••
Because I enjoy it... I'm a treasure hunter...

•••
The question must be asked where the better return is...

$1000-$5000 on one website or however many domains you can buy and renew for a few years until one sells for an acceptable price

•••
Because I have a lot of business ideas, I will attach them to the domain name, if the buyer the purchase price of enough time, I will put my together, these business ideas presented to each other

•••
I am a domain investor to tone down the overall masculinity levels within the industry and to raise the sexiness level by 0.01% as a whole.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
•••
For me it is more of a hobby but I do enjoy lucrative ROI when sale happens...and that is without any active marketing....

•••

lol

•••

lol ... but on a more serious note i am a domain investor becoz...... (long pause)...... the laziness is a major factor now that i come to think about it.....You're a genius.

•••
Because it pisses off my wife..

•••
•••
For me it is simply to make a huge amount of money the easy way.

•••
I see domains as ideas, intellectual properties, possible start-ups and businesses etc.. So I believe you can evolve from simply buying and selling to developing and more. You can help businesses. You can even make a full time living,but not overnight. It's challenging, but it's the fun and power to come up with ideas that keeps me going. And also the potential to turn it into a real business and livelihood.

•••
I see domains as ideas, intellectual properties, possible start-ups and businesses etc.. So I believe you can evolve from simply buying and selling to developing and more. You can help businesses. You can even make a full time living,but not overnight. It's challenging, but it's the fun and power to come up with ideas that keeps me going. And also the potential to turn it into a real business and livelihood.

exactly

i have business ideas and concepts etc and buy the .com domain for that idea etc

and by investing jn the domain that relates to that idea or concept
you can then simply wait until someone else has the same business idea because once they too have the idea they too will look for the same domain that i did and when they realise it has already been bought they have to decide to either give up on the idea or find a different domain or make an offer the thread domain i bought when i had the idea

•••
•••
•••
Because....well, I can't think of any other way to spend my extra cash, and expect to earn profit some day.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back