Dynadot

Why a 30 second delay need when navigating?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is really annoying. Why wait 30 seconds when navigating the forum. Such a requirement is ridiculous. It's not only searches but also when moving between sections such as between my posts and new posts, etc.

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in xx seconds."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Since no one replied maybe no one else cares about it, or never ran into it?

•••
This is really annoying. Why wait 30 seconds when navigating the forum. Such a requirement is ridiculous. It's not only searches but also when moving between sections such as between my posts and new posts, etc.

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in xx seconds."

Hi David,
Sorry it's taken a while for you to get a response.

Disclosure: I'm not a tech expert by any means, but having moderated the board for a long time I learned a little bit about vBulletin (the software this forum is built on).

Whenever a search takes place, it's contacting our database... Too many database queries at one time can cripple the site, since too many resources are being used to do a search.

This is why there is a 30 second limit :)

I hope this helps!
G

•••
GF any time you do anything in the forum it contacts the database.

The reason forum owners restrict the time between searches however is due to the fact that searches can be very taxing on the database. On run of the mill forums this is not that noticeable however with a forum this size it could cripple the servers if searches were allowed more ofter.

I personally have not come across the issue simply by browsing however only during searches.

•••
Indeed, NamePros' database is several gigabytes in size. When you search, there is a ton of information it has to look through. vBulletin's search processing has never been that great, and too many searches can easily bring the database server to a halt.

The wait period used to be 45 seconds btw. :gl:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back