NameSilo

discuss Whois count in relation to offers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanSanchez

DomainSafe.comTop Member
Impact
I used to be able to see where offers were incoming by looking at a 7 day Whois Count (at Namebright) with relative accuracy, now it seems all over the place. Do you find value in these data points at all? I know it's possible to export this data with Godaddy also, but Namebright has it openly displayed as a column option while looking at your lists.

This specific list encompasses newly registered dropped domains, less than 7 days old.

PG2Tg6F.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Whois lookup counts increase as the expiration date approaches and more so after a domain has expired. Sadly, many domain investors don't even consider a domain unless it is about to be drop or be auctioned at Namejet, Godaddy, Snapnames, etc. Some individuals will let names expire at Godaddy,to see if there is any bidding interest in the domain and if so, transfer it to another registrar. That way they get a wholesale appraisal. However, since there is no way to identify the bidders, I doubt such tactics result in a later sale. This would also be risky to do with too many domains because you might forget about a few and lose them.

•••
There is no relation really.

The majority could be from bots.

A domain with fewer searches could get more inquiries.

•••
There is no relation really.

The majority could be from bots.

A domain with fewer searches could get more inquiries.

You're right about that, scrapers target newly registered domains hoping for attentive eyeballs.

Whois lookup counts increase as the expiration date approaches and more so after a domain has expired. Sadly, many domain investors don't even consider a domain unless it is about to be drop or be auctioned at Namejet, Godaddy, Snapnames, etc. Some individuals will let names expire at Godaddy,to see if there is any bidding interest in the domain and if so, transfer it to another registrar. That way they get a wholesale appraisal. However, since there is no way to identify the bidders, I doubt such tactics result in a later sale. This would also be risky to do with too many domains because you might forget about a few and lose them.

These are all brand new, but yes I have seen the whois count increase the closer the names are to expiration. 60 days or less, to be exact.

•••
Newly registered domains get whois scraped to sell you seo services. I never pay attention to this data personally.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back