Dynadot

discuss Who says long domains have no value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
SmartManagement(.)com just sold at GD Expired Auction for $3,800 (making it the 11th highest sale at at GD Expired Auctions in the last 7 days.)

(15 characters)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wayne, I just noted that your original post was perplexing where you posted -
I'm just saying, for new people in the game, that this doesn't mean that suddenly it's a good idea to register 2 or 3 word domains and expect the same results!

It did not say -
"Not all 2-3 word domains are the same and you shouldn't expect the same results.

To me your original reply was misleading advice, and I was just noting such. That is all.

•••
But do you expect the same results on long tail domains? Would you tell a new domainer that he/she should expect the same results?

•••
I'm confused as to how the contrary is misleading. Should i have said that everyone should expect the same results?

To me, that sounds like very misleading + costly advice.

Last edited:
•••
Who collects domains just for the sake of the collection? Do you have some examples?

I do have a 'private' collection to be honest. They have meaning to me and I've had them for over 20 years. Probably worth decent money but it's just nice to own them.

Then again, I don't make a living out of domaining.

•••
This thread wasn't created to talk about novelty 63 character domains nor is a post directly squarely at new domain investors.

If you are a new domain investor, then yes, all the basics apply. This post is not meant to address that audience. They may cross this as part of their reading, but they can make of it what they will. It is one sale among many others.

This post is meant to show that a 2 word domain that is 15 characters did sell for $3.8k - at what is typically a reseller venue. It will be interesting to see what the buyer does with it.

Every sale should be looked at on it's on merit, and no one should go register a hundred+ domains because someone said something sold.

•••
Of course, yes (I never said that this is the same, that's why I used both terms).

In this context, a thought regarding "investment":
There is not only the financial "investment" - an "investment" can also be of physical / mental / social nature ("investment" in your health / knowledge / integration).
But then... why are you promoting them? And trying to sell them?

•••
Wow..

Wayne, You should have said -
"Not all 2-3 word domains are the same and you shouldn't expect the same results.

Not-
..for new people in the game, that this doesn't mean that suddenly it's a good idea to register 2 or 3 word domains and expect the same results!

What should they register?!? As all one word domains are unavailable to register, the obvious choices left are 2-3 word domains. So why suggest not to register 2-3 word domains with some kind of hopeful expectation? Even you have 2 words, maybe 3+, with 'hopeful expectations'.

It was in your wording, I was pointing out, not in your intentional meanings. geez...

Last edited:
•••
This thread wasn't created to talk about novelty 63 character domains nor is a post directly squarely at new domain investors.

If you are a new domain investor, then yes, all the basics apply. This post is not meant to address that audience. They may cross this as part of their reading, but they can make of it what they will. It is one sale among many others.

This post is meant to show that a 2 word domain that is 15 characters did sell for $3.8k - at what is typically a reseller venue. It will be interesting to see what the buyer does with it.

Every sale should be looked at on it's on merit, and no one should go register a hundred+ domains because someone said something sold.
Yes - but on the other hand, your topic "Who says long domains have no value?" clearly "provokes" opinions = posts to long domains in general - and 63 character domains are the best example for long domains ;)

Last edited:
•••
I do have a 'private' collection to be honest. They have meaning to me and I've had them for over 20 years. Probably worth decent money but it's just nice to own them.

Then again, I don't make a living out of domaining.
Do they have commercial appeal?

•••
Wow..

Wayne, You should have said -

Not-
..for new people in the game, that this doesn't mean that suddenly it's a good idea to register 2 or 3 word domains and expect the same results!

What should they register?!? As all one word domains are unavailable to register, the obvious choices left are 2-3 word domains. So why suggest not to register 2-3 word domains with some kind of hopeful expectation? Even you have 2 words, maybe 3+, with 'hopeful expectations'.

It was in your wording, I was pointing out, not in your intentional meanings. geez...

You are correct. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

•••
But then... why are you promoting them? And trying to sell them?
First, actually you are promoting them (with every new criticism).

Second, I am not trying to sell them, I am convinced that they will selll

Third, I had the ultimate experience of BBBUYINGGG them, now I have the ultimate experience of OOOWNINGGG them and if I will experience the ultimate experience of SSSELLINGGG them, I will be able to say that I had the multimate experience of experiencing these 3 ultimate experiences.

Last edited:
•••
Excuse me for derailing this thread. I just meant to make a simple point and i kinda spiraled out of control.

I can't unring a bell, but l will just now say "congrats" to the seller.

•••
Excuse me for derailing this thread. I just meant to make a simple point and i kinda spiraled out of control.

I can't unring a bell, but l will just now say congrats to the seller.
I know that your post is not addressed to me - but nevertheless (because its a public post) let me tell you that there is no need to excuse, you have not "derailed" (?) this thread, it's a thread, you posted your thoughts about long domains.
Nobody have derailed it, it's still all about long domains.
Nobody is forced to write about 63 character domains here but everyone has the right to do so because they are the epitome of long domains.

Last edited:
•••
Popular EMD's two or three words are always bring you good amount.

•••
Do they have commercial appeal?

One is a 3L .com so yes :). Some of them had offers in the past, like a nickname I used to use online back in the day.

Unless I desperately need money I won't sell them, its like any collection that increases in value over time, you enjoy it for what it is, not for what its worth.

•••
I wouldn't be surprised if Elliot Silver bought this name. It's exactly the type of name he would buy and sit on for awhile.

•••
Lots of perceptive commentary in this thread. Thanks for starting it, @Michael M !

I think it is important that the domain be memorable, and that can be because it is concise, but it can also be with 2 (or even more) words, if they are memorable to potential clients. That is true here.

The second point (maybe less obvious in this example) is whether there is emotional resonance (borrowing a term I saw on Twitter) - does saying the name feel right or good. Great brandables often achieve this. Sort of embedded in that is positive connotation. I know there are exceptions to all of these, and sometimes negative words sell, but usually the best names are positive.

If there were simple rules that always worked, this business would be easier than it is!

•••
One is a 3L .com so yes :). Some of them had offers in the past, like a nickname I used to use online back in the day.

Unless I desperately need money I won't sell them, its like any collection that increases in value over time, you enjoy it for what it is, not for what its worth.
The difference being... when you die, you're leaving a loved one a nice chunk of money and not a nice chunk of debt. :)

•••
Long domains have no value? How about diminishing value? NP member webscent published a domain study in 2016 showing average selling price go down as length goes up. A 15-character $3.8k name doesn't bust that model.

•••
I would rather register a good two letter domain than a 4 or 5 character letter/number random combo. This is where I think domainers get lazy. Much easier for me to remember two words that make sense together than an acronym. Plus words get better SERP for your specific niche than some random letters you bought because it was short.

•••
I believe my domain RentYourDomains.com is worth > $1000, long does not matter

Last edited:
•••
I have a domain that is 19 characters long, was reg in 97, most extensions taken, and has estibot appraisal at $174k.

•••
This isn't what I would call a long domain. It's just two keywords and < 16 characters.
Good name, it could have sold for more.
Actually, it's a rather typical sale. Many most names sold are two-word combinations.

•••
Agree with @Kate. Not what I would consider as an awfully long domain. Somewhat impossible to convey the same meaning with fewer letters. Hard to imagine that anyone outside the domaining circles would see this domain and think 'that's a loooong domain'. IMO they would only attach positive attributes to the domain in question.

•••
Why not?
If a domain "makes sense" = means if it "mediates something", then principallyyy it has value.

If it is made of well known words (like your posted one, for example), it is easy to understand its "message" (meaning).
But of course a meaningfull domain can also have an "abstract soul"- for example just a repeated ("pureness") term / digit or a combination of a / some certain ("code") terms / digits - the advantage of such "abstract" domains is that they give a broader range of interpretation = broader usabilitiyyy

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
If what you are saying is true I think I have a very valuable domain (HIGH $xxx,xxx)
It's a 2 word .com domain with 17 letters in the whole.
This domain was registered for the first time in 2013 and It was dropped.
Now I hand registered It.
Kind Regards.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back