IT.COM

poll Who is to blame?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

who is to blame for turning the forum into a graveyard?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Moderator interference ( Moving Threads)

votes
    0.0%
  • People losing interest in Domaining

votes
    0.0%
  • Nothing left to say

votes
    16.7%
  • It's not a graveyard

votes
    83.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Anjani

Established Member
Impact
Would love to hear your comments:xf.cool:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Never knew about this forum until recently, so can't really comment.

As for the first answer, why would moving threads to where they belong make the forum die out?

•••
Graveyard?

There are over 150,000 individual people visiting NamePros every month, thousands of new posts per day, and NamePros is by far the largest and most active community in the industry by an order of magnitude (10X).

You seem to be misinformed. Or is this an April Fools' Day post? ;)

•••
Lol must be April’s Fools again!

•••
•••
If this place is a graveyard, then somebody had better explain why my servers are seeing 100 requests per second, because I greatly dislike bogus requests.

•••
Paul, the only visitors on NP are all bots don't you know :xf.grin:

•••
Death/Room.com sold for cheap at NP auction, definitely a graveyard. >:(

•••
You actually have to be here for years to compare the past to the present to be qualified to make such a statement.

•••
•••
If this place is a graveyard, then somebody had better explain why my servers are seeing 100 requests per second, because I greatly dislike bogus requests.

Based on the comparatively low number of members online at any given time it seems likely that many requests per second must be coming from lots and lots of bots. I have seen the stats from a number of sites which get the vast majority of traffic from bots.

Last edited:
•••
Based on the comparatively low number of members online at any given time it seems likely that many requests per second must be coming from lots and lots of bots. I have seen a number of sites which get the vast majority of traffic from bots.
Paul was joking, he knows they're legitimate requests because he makes sure of it. Every site has bots (crawlers), but we don't have a disproportionate amount of them. The majority of the requests to NamePros servers are from real humans' browsers, because bots are unable to make most of the requests we get.

As you'll notice, the bots are clearly distinguished on the online page:
  • Saturday (one of the slowest days of the week): Total: 1,158 visitors (members: 254, guests: 631, robots: 273)
Many users don't fully understand how to read those stats. There are 800-1500 people (not bots) online at any given moment, but there are many thousands more per day (keep in mind they are not all online at the same time). The 885 people (254 members + 631 guests) that are online right now will not be the same ~900 people that will be online in an hour from now.

Hope that helps explain the stats,

Update:
  • We added "people" to the stats for convenience. ;)
To provide clarity on the NamePros stats:
  • "members" are logged-in visitors at the time you check (we consider them online at that moment). In a 24 hour period, that number is in the thousands. In a month, there are many tens of thousands of members that login to NamePros, but some members only login once a day, once a week, etc.
  • "people" are real people online on the site at that very moment (not robots). Keep in mind that everyone is not online at the same time: the ~1000 people that are online right now will not be the same ~1000 people that will be online in an hour from now.
  • "guests" are a combination of members (logged out), people from search engines, direct navigation visitors, etc. Google Analytics indicates that more than half of all guests on NamePros are members but they are logged out. Members do not stay logged in indefinitely (sessions expire) and sometimes they don't log back in right away. Some members logout manually and only login when they want to post.

Last edited:
•••
Based on the comparatively low number of members online at any given time it seems likely that many requests per second must be coming from lots and lots of bots. I have seen the stats from a number of sites which get the vast majority of traffic from bots.

These numbers are approximate, but roughly:
  • 53% are from people who are currently logged in.
  • 36% are from direct interactions with the site from logged out or unregistered users, in a manner that isn't normally triggered by bots (e.g., complex JavaScript), or from clients we can safely assume are not bots due to prior interactions.
  • 7% are from self-declared bots/crawlers/spiders.
  • 3% are from internal health checks, uptime monitoring, and load balancing.
  • 1% can't reliably be categorized.
This is during a Saturday night, our lowest weekly time for real (human) traffic. These numbers would be even more favorable during the middle of the week. We were getting an average of 74 requests per second over the 15-minute duration I sampled, which is about as low as it gets.

It's also worth noting that a good portion of requests for static resources get handled by caches geographically close to each user (PoP--point of presence), and therefore aren't accounted for by these metrics. PoP caching never accounts for more than about a quarter of the requests we receive. During certain periods, it can be significantly lower.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back