IT.COM

Which OS to use for web server?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Which OS is the best for servers?
Fedora,CentOS ,Suse or FreeBDS or any other.
Please recommend soem good OS and the link to download or purchase it.
No windows OS please.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
CentOS would be my first choice as it's the simplest. Second would be FC.

Are you running your own server(s) at home?

•••
depending on what you need exactly, Solaris could be your next choice. Mainly because of the Zones, each website runs inside its own zone.

•••
I vote for CentOS 4 as well :)

•••
Would also have to say CentOS as the # 1 pick or Fedora...I used Fedora on my last server for about 2 years worked great.

•••
CentOS is a Redhat type distro and does not feature a gui.. Well not in the server version. Plus it is an excellent distro I would highly recommand it.

FreeBSD is a TOTALLY different type of system, not Linux but Unix.. It is like the Mac OS. But without all the other garbage Mac OS has.. FreeBSD is limited on the external modules because Unix is not as popular as Linux in the server environment.

Fedora is more of a Desktop/Normal user distro than a Server distro.

Wikipedia Linux Distro comparision: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions

- Steve

•••
I'm for CentOs. Very usable thing.

•••
I think Linux. Cheap and reliable. But in any case you need good and professional administrating. That's why i don't think that there is some difference, but the administrator must be very skillful.

Last edited:
•••
Which is the best for a beginner?
I want to learn mangaing a server.

•••
I used Fedora on my very first server. I like it, CentOS would be my other suggestion.

•••
•••
bbalegere said:

Out of all of them, learn Centos, it's the most easiest to use and stable OS.

•••
Hi all, Centos derives from redhat. It's the best for web server ;)

Bye Maurizio1230

•••
bbalegere said:
Fedora is very good for a beginner.

Many people say Fedora is not a server distro, but I think it depends on your skills. I have a server that was built 3 years ago and it's still running Fedora 1, and it's very stable.

However, I'd recommend CentOS 4 more than Fedora as most of my servers are running it.

•••
NewYorkBum said:
depending on what you need exactly, Solaris could be your next choice. Mainly because of the Zones, each website runs inside its own zone.
Is each zone managed separately? It seems to complicate the whole process somehow...Correct me if I'm wrong.

•••
CentoS does not have a GUI right?

•••
ennui said:
Is each zone managed separately? It seems to complicate the whole process somehow...Correct me if I'm wrong.

2 ways to manage it.
1st) server root admin. ftp/ssh and whatever else you do not need disabled. Files just being copied from the global zone(root server) to the individual zones.

2nd) give access to whoever you want (even yourself) and don't bother what, when, why. You can trasnfer files by ftp/scp/ssh/telnet/smtp
in both cases you can of course control cpu time/memory usage/hdd space and so on.If zone gets compromised skript kiddie's privileges limited to that zone only.

here is more detailed info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_Containers#Description

In plain english it's called a VPS B-)

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the info.
I think I will install openvz or hypervm on the server.

•••
If you download hypervm to the server, you can get it to install openvz and/or xen for you.

For an OS, I would recommend CentOS, Fedora or Debian. For a desktop system, Mandriva 2007.

•••
I'm a FreeBSD guy. If it has to be linux, I prefer slackware or gentoo.

IMHO, CentOS and RHEL are way overrated.

•••
I am trying both FreeBSD and centOS.

•••
•••
I use CentOS on my dedicated and Debian Sarge on my VPS's.
I find them both easy to setup..
CentOS imo is best...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back