Dynadot

advice Which one would you choose, org or net?

NameSilo
Watch

Which one do you choose?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • petforums.net

votes
    31.6%
  • petforums.org

votes
    68.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I want to build a forum on a very popular topic, assume it's about pets, I can't decide which one to use, petforums.net or petforums.org? Because petforums.com (best choice to me) is a very popular website, which make the net or org name lives in the shadow. I slightly prefer org which feels more independent from the com version. Which one would you choose?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
You should choose another name.

a) you will leak traffic to .com
b) you are doing exact match brand in exact same area (unless you are not planning an online forum about pets), so they might have a strong TM case against you.

•••
You should choose another name.

a) you will leak traffic to .com
b) you are doing exact match brand in exact same area (unless you are not planning an online forum about pets), so they might have a strong TM case against you.

Thanks, I agree with you. Usually I wouldn't build a forum if I couldn't get the plural com version, but this is my hobby and passion. This is an extremely popular topic, I tried dozens of names, all of them have been taken, even some quite unusual ones such as outpetworld, petasahobby, etc. 🙄

•••
Thanks, I agree with you. Usually I wouldn't build a forum if I couldn't get the plural com version, but this is my hobby and passion. This is an extremely popular topic, I tried dozens of names, all of them have been taken, even some quite unusual ones such as outpetworld, petasahobby, etc. 🙄

You can find a good name regardless. Just keep searching in GD expired/closeout or expireddomains, prep your project for now, and something will pop-up. It doesn't even have to say "forum" there. Even "pet" is not a must, "paw" "tail" etc. other known figuratives for pets will work too...

•••
•••
i preferred an .org but now after the corrupt buzz around the pir and org i probably go with a .net.

•••
most definitely .org, you can also use sub forums for non profit things : example - "save the animals" to justify your use of the .org extension, not necessary of course but a good thing to do when using the extension IMO.

•••
Thanks for all your replies, I ended up with a different name. The first word has an abbreviation, but it's not widely used, it became a choice between something like pforums.com and petforums.org. I thought about it a few days and chose pforums.com, it's a hard decision for me.

Last edited:
•••
Have fun with your business venture....

•••
You should select another domain that is brandable.

•••
think about .cat or .dog...another option...and for sure...org is much better than .net for pet forum..

•••
.cat website must have content in Catalan language or to be related to this region...
If no changes in their Policy.

•••
I think, .life is suitable also for pets...

•••
Just voted for .org
Good luck

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back