Dynadot

Which one - PHP or Html?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi

Which one do you feel comfortable in using, PHP or Html?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
both. they have different applications, you get a lot using php

•••
Depends on what I want to build. If I want to build a simple website, HTML is the way to go. On the other hand, if I need a mid-high complex site, can't go without PHP.

•••
well that's like comparing apples and oranges..

HTML is to display data to the page - php is to create that data (very simple overview). always use html/xhtml, but only use php when i need to change data on pages depending on the page load (ie database's driven sites like blogs etc)

•••
PHP and HTML are VERY different. HTML is static is does not change it is just display options. PHP is dynamic is interacts with a database which means the actual code does not change but the display does. Since both are free and easy to learn I am sure most people here feel well about using both.

•••
PHP is a programming language. It can even make desktop applications :)
HTML is just a marckup language (language for documents on the web) :)

•••
Put simply, you won't use PHP without HTML if you're putting it into some sort of webpage. Think of it this way:

HTML - Makes everything look nice and actually IS what you see on the site

PHP - Site functionality. The reason everything works on [a PHP] site is because of PHP.

That holds true for other coding languages as well. E.g.: Perl, cgi, etc.

-RageD

•••
PHP is logic. HTML is layout. Click View->Source. That's HTML. What you DON'T see is the PHP powering these forums, the ability to make posts, etc.

So I am very comfortable using both. Actually, I don't use HTML... it is depreciated. I use XHTML.

•••
-PS- said:
well that's like comparing apples and oranges..

Completely different.

•••
HTML is a markup language, PHP is backend :/

I'd rather use both together than one or the other...

•••
Well, I use both... I feel exactly the same comfort with both... Granted that HTML is a beginning language henceforth is easier to code with, PHP is amazing for creating CMS' and much much more, and as people have said before HTML is a Markup Language (Hypertext Markup Language to be exact ;) ) and PHP is as squid said backend. Both have very versatile functions, and can be used to make amazing web pages, but when used together with JS and CSS they are amazing...
-Coolprogram

•••
HTML is a whole lot easier than PHP, esp. if you're going to use a database for PHP.

•••
mholt said:
PHP is logic. HTML is layout. Click View->Source. That's HTML. What you DON'T see is the PHP powering these forums, the ability to make posts, etc.

So I am very comfortable using both. Actually, I don't use HTML... it is depreciated. I use XHTML.

html isn't depreciated - otherwise they wouldn't be creating html 5.0 currently, xhtml and html are made to do the same thing in different ways, and also are cross compatible.

•••
HTML is HTML

While PHP has the power of PHP and HTML both :)

So I usually go for PHP even in simple ones. Maybe in future I need to rotate ads or anything it becomes easy for me to just include a file or two.

•••
mholt said:
Actually, I don't use HTML... it is depreciated
-PS- said:
html isn't depreciated

Deprecated. Depreciation is a loss of an asset's value over time.

I generally use PHP for small sites that don't have to do much. If it has to process/store a lot of data or be at all reliable, I use Java running on Resin or Tomcat.

•••
monaco said:
Deprecated. Depreciation is a loss of an asset's value over time.

I generally use PHP for small sites that don't have to do much. If it has to process/store a lot of data or be at all reliable, I use Java running on Resin or Tomcat.
Hey, to some people, HTML is an asset. :p However, one would consider it "deprecated" since XHTML allows for things that most modern websites should be using that HTML doesn't let you do in compliance with standards.

•••
mholt said:
Hey, to some people, HTML is an asset. :p However, one would consider it "deprecated" since XHTML allows for things that most modern websites should be using that HTML doesn't let you do in compliance with standards.

I half-agree with you there...HTML is being used less and less, but since the w3c still considers HTML a standard (and hence has not officially deprecated it) it's still valid for use. So it's being socially deprecated, but since it's officially "in-use", browsers will still need to support it.

My personal opinion, I wish they'd get rid of it. Browsers would be a lot easier to write and maintain with fewer standards anyway.

•••
You cant compare PHP and HTML (well, you need HTML to use PHP anyway).

•••
im a html sort of guy, mostly because i understand it. and its very forgiving if you stuff up the code a bit,.

BUT, i know PHP has a massive amount of power and time saving in the long run, so php is really worth learning. I did get a few php books this week actually, that will take me O' about 5 years to learn. But hey, its worth it.

•••
If you want a site that does nothing, use HTML (and there's nothing wrong with a site that doesn't do much).
If you want a site that is highly interactive with your visitors then use PHP.
It totally depends on your goals for the website.

•••
I use both of course. If you want a static site then use only html but for dynamic sites you need both. Use both! PHP Is so simple.

•••
Php took me a week to learn.. 3 days to learn the syntax 4 days to code a guest book from scratch.. Now making a Blog CMS. Good luck, learn both

•••
longroad said:
well, you need HTML to use PHP anyway
Not true at all; you can write applications in php using the php cli to run them without ever touching html.
philski said:
and its very forgiving if you stuff up the code a bit
I wouldn't say that...browsers are completely unforgiving if you mess up, creating problems ranging from a completely hosed layout, to a layout that only hoses on a browser you never tested it with.

•••
I advice you php because PHP is dynamic and HTML is static.
But you can insert your html code in php too.

•••
well if you are just wanting to make a simple website with text the html and css is what you need but if you want your website to have fuctions to it like let members join or post stuff them selfs then you will need php to do this and maybe mySQL

both do different things but can be used to gether :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back