Dynadot

new gtlds Which New gTLD Is Winning The Website Development War?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
By Bill Hartzer

In order to figure out how many New gTLDs have websites on the Alexa 1 Million websites list, I simply took the list and then did some simple lookups.

tlds-alexa-top-1million-june2017-bhlogo.png

As of June 23, 2017, .XYZ has 5,658,720 domains registered, here are the to 5, based on registrations (NTLD Stats):
.XYZ 5,658,720
.TOP 3,832,606
.LOAN 2,134,647
.WIN 1,020,997
.CLUB 1,012,378

That’s all fine and dandy, but what I haven’t seen yet, until today, is data that shows how many of those domain names have actually been developed into fully-functioning websites? One way to figure that out is to look at how many domain names from a certain TLD are showing up in the Alexa Top 1 Million websites. Alexa publishes a list of the top 1 million websites. If you’ve developed a website, and it has enough traffic (visitors), then it may appear on Alexa’s list of the top 1 million websites. I won’t get into the specifics about how the list is calculated, how to move up on the list, or anything like that. But the data is good enough to use it as a source of reliable data.

Read more: Bill Hartzer
The data in a spreadsheet here.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very Interesting indeed, .... thanks for sharing.

I'm not surprisez to see .club and .online having a decent size piece of the pie :)

•••
.app only has two domains. This kind of numerology based on Alexa data isn't very good.

Regards...jmcc

•••
the .win, .top, bid, .xyz are mostly spam sites IMO even when in Alexa

•••
Alexa ranks sites by traffic, so there could be hundreds of thousands developed sites that aren't even showing. You'd also need a clear definition of what determines a "developed" site. Does it have to have a sitemap? Backlinks? Multiple pages of content? Do my 400+ developed domain landers count as websites?

Alexa is a pain in the a$$ because you have to install a toolbar for it to moniter your traffic, unless things have changed. I haven't checked them out in a while.

•••
>> Does it have to have a sitemap? Backlinks? Multiple pages of content? Do my 400+ developed domain landers count as websites?

In this case, I didn't look to see if the sites had backlinks, multiple pages of content, etc. I am assuming that landing pages don't typically make it into the Alexa Top 1 Million sites list. I have fully developed sites with lots of traffic that aren't on that list.

I took the list and looked to see how often a certain TLD appears in the list. That's it. Had to manually tweak some results, as ".blog" appears the most (due to subdomains dot blogspot dot com). And the difference between .new and .news and a few others, like .onl vs. .online. There's a link to the Google spreadsheet where all the results are listed in the post if you're interested. ;)

•••
I am assuming that landing pages don't typically make it into the Alexa Top 1 Million sites list. I have fully developed sites with lots of traffic that aren't on that list.
Bill, you have to be very careful in relying upon the Alexa 1M list for anything other than decoration.

I took the list and looked to see how often a certain TLD appears in the list. That's it.
.APP only has 2 registrations.

And the difference between .new and .news and a few others, like .onl vs. .online.
I think that .ONL was used as an URL shortener by the Hillary Clinton campaign. That may account for its presence.

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
haha, development. Went over this before:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/everyone-saying-to-not-invest-in-gtld.1018888/page-11#post-6171586

Bill, it would be more interesting if you actually went thru them and let everybody know what you find:

https://domainpunch.com/tlds/topgtlds.php

I am assuming that landing pages don't typically make it into the Alexa Top 1 Million sites list.

Don's assume, look.

This site can’t be reached
or
website blocked
or
trying to install some bs on your computer
or
doesn't resolve
or
File not found
or
completely blank page

They make it, top 100

Just in the top 5

If you want to sell traffic please send mail to ........

Route with parameter not found.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back