domain Which Direction? - ModStop.co.uk

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke R

Impact
Hello,

A little about me before we start - I'm 24, have a degree of Building Surveying, currently work in the construction industry within the UK for a small family run firm renovating residential property within the UK, always interested in online ventures, just never got round to doing it. I own around 30-40 domain names, mainly .com and .co.uk. I can use Photoshop, and WordPress to a good standard, I understand basic html, and css, currently in the process of learning SEO but it's coming on.

I enjoy developing sites and find it exciting that you can publish to the world from home, you can have your say, sell items and services to massive audiences, I sort of see it like personally creating virtual art for all to see.

I'm looking to earn extra income online, I realise it takes time, effort, lots of enthusiasm, and most likely some investment.

I know a lot of people say you shouldn't start a website with the intention of making money, and should run it out of passion for a certain subject/product, but realistically, the majority of people start websites with the intention of making money, directly or indirectly.

I've been buying domains on and off since 2006. I always end up renewing them with great intentions of developing them.....this has gone on for a good few years now. I have the time, (limited) funds, and the enthusiasm to develop one of these sites, then potentially another & another & another....... the main reason for this post is to get advice from others on which domain to stick too, as in the past I flitter from developing one domain for a few months, seeing nothing happening, and then skipping to the next "BIG" idea.

Some of the domains I own are as follows.

ModStop.co.uk
webuyanyscoot.com
inbetweenersusa.com
cigarboxmusic.com
buyyours.co.uk
Tentsurfing.com
PropertyShopping.co.uk
ShoppingForProperty.co.uk
Diivine.com
Me4t.com
WiFiTreats.co.uk
isitcake.co.uk
BeGreenToday.co.uk
owtold.com
propertyswap.eu
OnlineDebate.co.uk
mot-tester.com
friskytv.co.uk
webuyany4x4.com/.co.uk
buyyour4x4.com/.co.uk
reviewedapp.com
tripwealth.com
worldjourney.co.uk
travellertrade.com
payupal.co.uk
skinads.co.uk
bodyads.co.uk
bodvertising.co.uk
followthisline.com

There are others, but this should be enough to pick at lease one gem out of.

From actually putting the above domains in a list, I realise I can probably sell/ditch some.

Please let me know out of the above domain names, which you would concentrate on (If any?), which I could potentially sell, and which should be taken off auto renew straight away! I'd like to know ideas on how to best monetize the sites, be it advertising, affiliate marketing, selling a particular product, or starting an online store, please let me know.

I gave you some of my background to try and help with the decision making and to introduce myself to the forum.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciate, I look forward to hearing from fellow members of this forum, hopefully some more reputable than me!

Thanks in Advance

Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For me, I don't really like any of these domains apart from onlinedebate.co.uk and worldjourney.co.uk. I would drop just about everything else. I don't think you could sell these 2 domain without developing them. onlinedebate.co.uk probably means a forum. Forums don't traditionally monetize very well. So I would start with worldjourney.co.uk. I'd probably use wordpress on it, and post about your world journeys. I'd probably opt for some travel affiliate marketing on it. A lot easier than trying to promote your forum.

Last edited:
•••

I would definitely dump payupal asap because it's "confusingly similar" to paypal's trademark.

In other words, stay away from trademarked terms and stick with generics and brandables that are not already TM'd.

You seem to have good tech skills for this field, but selecting good domain names is as much as an art as it is a science, along with some basic legal insight thrown in for good measure.

Of your domains, I like the following best:

ModStop.co.uk
buyyours.co.uk
Diivine.com
OnlineDebate.co.uk
tripwealth.com
worldjourney.co.uk
bodyads.co.uk
followthisline.com

Best wishes to you.

•••
instead only bought one better name, that in a field you can write about all day and not get bored, and down the road see if you liked the web building experience.

•••
Always find something based on your experience, it would be helpful..

•••
Just some thoughts:

A) Does your employment contract prohibit you from working as a building surveyor in your own time?

B) The course of action which comes to mind is:

1) Put all your names up for no reserve auction and don't renew the ones which don't sell
2) Put some time and effort into finding one good building surveying name
3) Start writing articles about building surveying
4) Put some ads on OR generate leads for yourself OR generate leads for the company you work for ( negotiate commission )

•••
If you're from the UK you may want to invest in UK domain names. I have made more from UK domains than any other tld.

Check out http://AcornDomains and http://domainlore.co.uk

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back