Dynadot

question Where to park new pages for best statistics?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Amphibia07

Established Member
Impact
Let's say, you hand regged a few names or bought some from auction, and want to know traffic stats so you have better indication of domain value.

I only tested Sedo and Undeveloped for now. Sedo - didn't like them at first because of zero-click landers, but in terms of stats - they seem to be OK. There is geographic visitor breakdown for every domain, some extra occassional info on keywords searched and where reffered from. The page itself is very "german" style or you could say early 00s - small buttons, menus within menus, pie charts, redundant sparklines, but once you get used to, they do offer some stats. Wish they updated more frequently than daily though, or had some sort of real time stats, even aggregate for all domains.

Undeveloped - only the very basic stats - number of visitors. Nothing in terms of geographic breakdown or anything more. Generally feels like over-designed and under-featured for stats, which is like total opposite of sedo. For example - the visitors graph that they put on landers is very polished, but it doesn't seem to update. Always shows "you are the first visitor today". Maybe it takes time to update, but they don't seem to be data focused overall. If you log to portfolio view, there are only monthly total domain stats, no option to aggregate last day, 7 days, or more, like on Sedo. Sure, they are not designed for stats, but if you want to learn about your domains - it's probably not the best place to park initially.

I haven't tested efty yet, but hear they should be best in this area with Google Analytics integration. Still need to learn how to use their site.

GoDaddy or NameCheap - seems like they don't offer any stats, even though they set you with landers. Any other options, aside from building own webpages?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ParkingCrew or , in case you need a bit more info, use Above.com's nameservers (only way to check the raw traffic)

edit: stewmath's answer is the way to go since you'll get the most accurate metrics. Note that my answer is relevant only if you want to 'park' the domain.

Last edited:
•••
Add some content and google analytics

•••
Your own hosting.
I'm interested in exploring the inbound links that are still active and producing traffic. I haven't found a parking service that provides this. Browser language is also important if you are trying to maximise on the sale price.

•••
The page itself is very "german" style or you could say early 00s - small buttons, menus within menus, pie charts, redundant sparklines, but once you get used to, they do offer some stats.

german style??????
thats 90 s universal style
never changed

good enough is good enough

parkingcrew offers best stats
if thats what you want

•••
Thank you all for the answers. I will try ParkingCrew. At the moment, I am looking for out of the box solution, but setting up own content and GA for each page is definetely in the longer term plan. It would take time to set this for 30 pages.

On Sedo's "german" style - well, maybe it was somewhat of an over-generalization, but its just seems to be more more common on german websites, maybe continental europe overall. I think you know what I mean - small fonts, long menus, need to be very specific what you click and what you will get. Like a case in point - on sedo if you are sorting a table, you need to choose whether its ascending or descending sort. Nobody does that anymore - it's usually click once descending, click again - reverse. Like anyone would want to sort domain visits ascending order anyway :)

•••
Thank you all for the answers. I will try ParkingCrew. At the moment, I am looking for out of the box solution, but setting up own content and GA for each page is definetely in the longer term plan. It would take time to set this for 30 pages.

On Sedo's "german" style - well, maybe it was somewhat of an over-generalization, but its just seems to be more more common on german websites, maybe continental europe overall. I think you know what I mean - small fonts, long menus, need to be very specific what you click and what you will get. Like a case in point - on sedo if you are sorting a table, you need to choose whether its ascending or descending sort. Nobody does that anymore - it's usually click once descending, click again - reverse. Like anyone would want to sort domain visits ascending order anyway :)

hey I was only kidding

the interface is a burdon

•••
Your own landing page with GA code on it.

Honestly though while analytics matter some do they really matter that much? It’s like looking at your watch constantly while you’re on your way to an appointment. Will it make you arrive any faster?

These inquiries that come in, some will blossom into sales and some won’t. Knowing everything about where they came from or how they found your domain isn’t all that useful unless you may use GA info to drive more people to your landing page which - you can’t. The domain is what drives people to your landing page. And it either will or it won’t.

Last edited:
•••
Your own landing page with GA code on it.

not really
as you need a GA for each domain
thats pain

or do I miss something?

•••
Well in my case that primary info comes from the PPC links pages (on the DomainAdvertising pages - DA gives me info too). Also I’m creating unique landing pages for top domains not just one landing page for all domains.

But still, as I wrote above, so what?

Last edited:
•••
If you use your own hosting, you can add a few affiliate links to pick up a bit of cash while you are waiting for that big sale. :)

•••
If he means stick Google Adsense on a parked domain with no content this will shut down your Adsense account.

•••
Turn sedo zero-click off.
If you have less than 50 names efty.com is economical. I love efty but sedo is good.

•••
It’s like looking at your watch constantly while you’re on your way to an appointment. Will it make you arrive any faster?

That's a great analogy! In my case, I want analytics for second opinion on keyword choices for domains. Plus, it's helpful to know where traffic comes. For example, I have several geo domains. One is "african city + cars", and it's interesting only 30% visits are from africa, majority are from the US. Would be great to also know whether it's people looking to purchase car, or tourists looking for rentals. But that's considering parking keywords optimization and general curiosity. If you have a lander, I guess it doesn't matter, it's a question for the end user how they want to use domain. Still helpful to know traffic for the pitch. Interesting that this cars page gets traffic naturally, not loads, but still some, while my other geo domain, US state (full name) + businessattorney doesn't get any visits at all.

But overall I am very much in the boat with you that analytics is overhyped. From $ standpoint, the time could be better spend contacting prospects. Still, you could say looking at stats is something like a hobby.

Last edited:
•••
It’s like looking at your watch constantly while you’re on your way to an appointment. Will it make you arrive any faster?

Exactly my thought.

•••
Bodis with GA integration. You can use your own GA account with Bodis parking

•••
Honestly though while analytics matter some do they really matter that much? It’s like looking at your watch constantly while you’re on your way to an appointment. Will it make you arrive any faster?
Only if you just look at the totals.

It's more like standing in a street watching the shoppers, and looking at the stores they visit. This is good research if you are considering buying a shop in the street. It isn't for nothing that estate agents say that the 3 most important factors affecting property prices are "location, location and location".

•••
GA == google analytics

GA !== google adsense

•••
Goo Analytics with efty do not show location. Just number of visits, uniques.
Its under behaviour>hostname in analytics. Yes would be know what the geographic locations were. Great thread(y)
Looking at my watch, time to go:xf.grin:

•••
I’m still a bit confused. Can I do a personal mini-undeveloped. Using one analytics to monitor all my domains separately?

•••
Just found you can add GA to NameSilo account. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks awesome if you can add Analytics straight from the registrar. I am not aware any other registrar has this option. It says you can also link AdSense accounts, and customize the landing page.

If all of this works, it could be even better than dedicated landing pages like Undeveloped. Statistics + monetization through Ads (not links like Sedo) + get in touch form. You can do some minimal layout adjustments here too.

upload_2017-11-30_8-4-8.png

•••
for statitstics you may want to use piwik in combination with cloudflare

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back