Domain Empire

question When you reg the drop (.com), what % of your list is caught by DropCatch? What about others?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
I'm curious.

DropCatch is about my only "competitor" for expiring .com names. About 40% of names I aim for are sniped by DropCatch, and the rest I mostly get to reg.

( There's also SnapNames, but much less often. Also maybe 1 in 25 names is caught by other registrars, backorders etc. Overall they don't have an significant impact on my list).

Usually the most obvious names go in DropCatch. I personally don't care too much, there's enough meat left for the taking. Furthermore these usually get into a heated auction and I won't get in that (not my method). And if it's not heated, probably not worth getting into an auction anyway for that name.

There are entire niches completely ignored, that I deal in. OR combinations that sell, but never caught by DC and the reason I think that is, the bulk of buyers aren't really aware of them.

Breakdown :
~ 40% = DropCatch
50% = Picked up OK
5% = other regs, backorders (including SnapNames)

Side note about 3 in 10 names are usually already listed for sale, most often at 4 digits, but sometimes at 5-6 (exaggerated prices) .

How about you? What's your success ratio and regging the drop experience?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm curious.

DropCatch is about my only "competitor" for expiring .com names. About 40% of names I aim for are sniped by DropCatch, and the rest I mostly get to reg.

( There's also SnapNames, but much less often. Also maybe 1 in 25 names is caught by other registrars, backorders etc. Overall they don't have an significant impact on my list).

Usually the most obvious names go in DropCatch. I personally don't care too much, there's enough meat left for the taking. Furthermore these usually get into a heated auction and I won't get in that (not my method). And if it's not heated, probably not worth getting into an auction anyway for that name.

There are entire niches completely ignored, that I deal in. OR combinations that sell, but never caught by DC and the reason I think that is, the bulk of buyers aren't really aware of them.

Breakdown :
~ 40% = DropCatch
50% = Picked up OK
5% = other regs, backorders (including SnapNames)

Side note about 3 in 10 names are usually already listed for sale, most often at 4 digits, but sometimes at 5-6 (exaggerated prices) .

How about you? What's your success ratio and regging the drop experience?
I have great success too - probably a dirfferent niche than you (hence, my success). I have NEVER been able to catch a liquid domain with API. Have you? I mean 4L or better, 5N or better.

•••
Without going into the API.. in terms catch rate

DropCatch is supposed to be the best

Owns most.. but believe, the gap’s narrowing

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I have great success too - probably a dirfferent niche than you (hence, my success). I have NEVER been able to catch a liquid domain with API. Have you? I mean 4L or better, 5N or better.

No, I haven't got either. All those liquids are sniped by DC. API is obviously much much slower.

Diversification is key. There are hundreds of niches out there to make money from and each domainer has its own preferred selection. Sometimes it's not necessarily a niche as in money keyword, but a certain variation or combination with that.

There are even niches where I know there are money to be made but I don't know them well enough so I'd rather not cause I'd expand my investment too wide, sticking to regulars. So yes, we don't go for the same things, obviously.

•••
For that matter, has anyone on NP ever caught a 4L with API? You don't need to reveal your methods, just wondering if it has been done?

•••
I don't think the question is necessarily meaningful.

You probably mostly catch names that nobody else wanted to catch - so the point is moot. How could you not catch them?
Anything you know there will be competition for (4L or better) you will never catch.

So I think the thread only makes sense in the context of ''how different are your backorders to everyone else's?'' and not ''how successful are you in privately dropcatching names''.

•••
I don't think the question is necessarily meaningful.

You probably mostly catch names that nobody else wanted to catch - so the point is moot. How could you not catch them?

You're making assumptions.

Within a minute to 5 minutes, everything I want to catch is gone already. So I'm quick at it.

•••
You're making assumptions.

Within a minute to 5 minutes, everything I want to catch is gone already. So I'm quick at it.

Lol, dropcatch catches domains within a fraction of a second. I know how the APIs work so I know that you cannot possibly compete with dropcatch. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Even if you owned a whole registrar for yourself, you might catch one out of a few thousand competitive domains, if you were good. Using API, it is impossible.

•••
Lol, dropcatch catches domains within a fraction of a second. I know how the APIs work so I know that you cannot possibly compete with dropcatch. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Even if you owned a whole registrar for yourself, you might catch one out of a few thousand competitive domains, if you were good. Using API, it is impossible.

Correct. But I haven't said APIs compete with DropCatch.

I only said about the names in the list, what I get and what I don't. That's it.

You seem to be keen of taking the discussion elsewhere - that's your view point but not my questions and not what I actually said. this is why I said "competitor", using quotes.

Last edited:
•••
Oh, and something for those who are new at regging drops. Something I've figured out early when started domaining.

There's a simple test you can do to hone your skills at catching the drop.

You have a list as what you want to catch today. Reg only half of the list at random. The rest you let untouched, for others to reg.

Get back an hour or two later and check. If those names are still available, it means they're bad.

Get back the next day. If those names are still there, it means they're utter rubbish.

So you can iterate this test until all that you aim for is quickly caught by others. Unless you've just discovered the holy grail niche and it's all yours (just joking).

•••
Correct. But I haven't said APIs compete with DropCatch.

I only said about the names in the list, what I get and what I don't. That's it.

You seem to be keen of taking the discussion elsewhere - that's your view point but not my questions and not what I actually said. this is why I said "competitor", as in using quotes.

My point is, how many names you catch is not representative of how good/fast your api/setup is. If you only backorder domains that no one else backorders, you can boast a 100% success rate.

I'm just saying, I'm fine with the thread as long as you don't claim that the names you catch are actually competitors to dropcatch.

•••
I'm just saying, I'm fine with the thread as long as you don't claim that the names you catch are actually competitors to dropcatch.

Okay then, it's a misinterpretation. The post might not be formulated perfectly as well.

It would be ridiculous to claim that BTW, I know and you know. Backorders are faster, but even those aren't nowhere near what DC has, hundreds of registrars pounding Verisign's servers at once. (commenting for those new in this field that might read)

•••
My point is, how many names you catch is not representative of how good/fast your api/setup is. If you only backorder domains that no one else backorders, you can boast a 100% success rate.

like it or not
it's a fact

and will never be able to proof

but pheenix went out of being meaningful
having only 500 registrars ....

•••
like it or not
it's a fact

I wonder if in other fields such a sheer dominance by one company is permitted. (shall we call it monopoly?)

•••
Okay then, it's a misinterpretation. The post might not be formulated perfectly as well.

It would be ridiculous to claim that BTW, I know and you know. Backorders are faster, but even those aren't nowhere near what DC has, hundreds of registrars pounding Verisign's servers at once. (commenting for those new in this field that might read)

I'm glad we understand each other.

like it or not
it's a fact

https://www.icann.org/registrar-reports/accreditation-qualified-list.html

This link (december 2019) shows only 1 registrar for pheenix. Hmm...

It shows 1200+ for dropcatch, about 100 for snapnames and 20 for dynadot. Maybe they were bought off by dropcatch or something.

•••

@Lord Antares He hasn't even inferred what you allege. His ask was simple. You twisted and made it something it wasn't.

•••

Me thinking that @Lord Antares has never used an API

•••
@Lord Antares He hasn't even inferred what you allege. His ask was simple. You twisted and made it something it wasn't.

Maybe I misunderstood. But his success rate talk might make someone think that he might have thought those names he caught were also being hunted by dropcatch. He made it clear that it wasn't the case, so maybe I was wrong but it was still not hard to misinterpret it as such.

•••
Maybe I misunderstood. But his success rate talk might make someone think that he might have thought those names he caught were also being hunted by dropcatch. He made it clear that it wasn't the case, so maybe I was wrong but it was still not hard to misinterpret it as such.

Just a simple misunderstanding indeed.

•••
My domain ( topeditions.com ) was snagged by dropcatch or any other platform... they put it up for sale, no one wanted it for 15 days (or something like that), they dropped it so I took it because I really want it.... So there is still a chance if you really want something, just have patience.

The domain was later approved on SquadHelp... but has not sold in 6-7 months, so I developed it into what it is today.

•••
My domain ( topeditions.com ) was snagged by dropcatch or any other platform... they put it up for sale, no one wanted it for 15 days (or something like that), they dropped it so I took it because I really want it.... So there is still a chance if you really want something, just have patience.

The domain was later approved on SquadHelp... but has not sold in 6-7 months, so I developed it into what it is today.
Can you clarify what you are saying? They deleted after 15 days? After the 15 days, you registered a few months later on the drop? If deleted at 15 days, it would go back through the whole redemption process. I believe if deleted within 5 days of catch, it will indeed go to registry immediately. It is these subtleties which can make you money. Please clarify if you would.

•••
I wonder if in other fields such a sheer dominance by one company is permitted. (shall we call it monopoly?)
Things happen all over the domain industry that wouldn't be permitted in others. Lots of monopolies, collusions, market manipulations and conflicts of interests. Personally I think it shows how extremely unregulated the industry is.

•••
So the edge DropCatch has over everyone is the 1000's of registrars it has access, so that they avoid the rate-limiting packet rule per registrar, and are allowed to send more EPP packets to the Verisign servers... correct?

So shouldn't you be able in theory to create 100 fake accounts for each registrar with an API, with different IPs, so in the eyes of the registrar you are 100 different people asking to reg the domain.. essentially overcoming the rate-limiting?

Last edited:
•••
So the edge DropCatch has over everyone is the 1000's of registrars it has access, so that they avoid the rate-limiting packet rule per registrar, and are allowed to send more EPP packet to the Verisign servers... correct?

So shouldn't you be able in theory to create 100 fake accounts for each registrar with an API, with different IPs, so in the eyes of the registrar you are 100 different people asking to reg the domain.. essentially overcoming the rate-limiting?

still you use 1 registrar versus 1500

•••
Yes, 100 fake users per registrar. How many registrars with an API are available? More than 1500?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back