IT.COM

discuss When you drop?

NameSilo
Watch

ddesigns

24Designs.in - Web Development and more...Top Member
Impact
What is the average time before you decide to drop any domain?

I heard few people hold for minimum 2 years, what's the best practice?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

best practice is to buy quality domains that you have confidence in
and be willing to wait for the right buyer.

two freaking years is a just blink, in the eye of longevity.

imo....

•••
You should reevaluate your domain holdings regularly. But that doesn't mean drop any of them. I've held domains for 20 years that I have confidence in. Longest wait for a single held domain sale has been 18 years. I never sell below $X,XXX so a good profit is always there at the end of the day.

Only domains I've ever dropped within two years have been impulse registrations in the first place. So I count them as buyers remorse drops

•••
most of my names I sell not before 5 years have past
10 is not uncommon

•••
Thanks everyone for your inputs. What I feel is holding for 2 years will be ideal time for any domain. If one have good com name, I feel you will surely get good offer in couple of years..

•••
A couple of years is a drop in the bucket if and this is a big if—if you are looking for end user sales. I am going to have to agree with at least 5 years on all very good names.

By the logic presented above, any aged domain should have been dropped at age 2 and is unsellable which we know isn’t true. Its about the right buyer and patience.

•••
I hold it in as long as i can. Still own first 2 domains i reggae in 2009. One is not for sale, the other one i could probably sell with effort. I am lazy domainer and make no effort to sell, other than listing them on my facebook pages that have 100’s followers
Park, wait and hold. Still have the one i bought from iowa dawg in 2014. It was good enough for him to put a site on it 7 years ago. Each name is an independant investment. Ya, i still own crap names but have no problem dropping them or giving them to the guy that doesnt even write positive reviews when he receives free names @ReallyBigIdea.com knows about that scenario. As they mentioned it in chat. I simply move on

•••
Thanks everyone for your inputs. What I feel is holding for 2 years will be ideal time for any domain. If one have good com name, I feel you will surely get good offer in couple of years..

That's not the case if your working (and thinking) ahead.
Most of my best sales came from 'Touchscreen Application' and GPS domains registered back in 2000 long before It was out there as a an input method or mapping Same with many other technology driven applications. If your not at least 10 years ahead with your registrations, your going to be picking up the leftovers.

•••
Good domain names always attract attentions and are sold out quickly. I think domain names with more than 3~5 years can be abandoned if there is no continuous attention from potential buyers.
In fact, sometimes it also depends on your financial situation, especially the investors who hold a large number of domain names.

•••
IMO:
'renewal costs' vs. 2021 NFTs-time ..
(NFT Digital Assets have no renewal costs hehe)

•••
At least 3 years in general, but for the domains I deem to be good no matter what, indefinitely.

•••
If you own tech.com, do you mind waiting 2 years or more for your number? In comparison to latesttech.com

It depends entirely on what you have. One has the potential to fetch 7 figures, the other less. Your waiting period on average may be less for the latter domain, compared to the super premium (you want the right offer for your baby)

Last edited:
•••
All the rules others push about domains eg branding from marketplaces didn't allow typos well someone bought them and now they are okay. So have faith on your own decisions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back