IT.COM

discuss When you can't buy the $50,000 domain what would you do?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
As we all know the absolute perfect domain is most of the time out of our budget. So when you want to start a new company and the perfect name is over $50,000 would you stay with the perfect name and add a prefix like GoXXXXX, GetXXXXX, BuyXXXXX or would you choose a name that's not that great just so you didn't have to add a prefix?

I know as domainers most would answer not to use the prefix but try to answer the question with an unbiased opinion.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would try to shortlist more than one "perfect" domains. But if I was able to select only one which is out of my budget, then I wouldn't mind doing the following:

1. I would buy the domain in any other extension considering the .com is out of my budget.
2. Would use a prefix with the domain.

It happened with one of my friend five years ago when he liked a domain and it wasn't available (my friend isn't a domainer, he wanted a domain for his business). So what he did was he added "THE" in front of his domain and bought it. It's still up and running with a website, and he's happy with it.

In my opinion, sometimes using prefix can add more appeal to certain domains, like MyShoeStore, GoCarRental, OurTravelGuide and etc. But the same can not be the case with many domains. And that is why, we have brandable/madeup words to go with, lol.

•••
all depends on what name/word we are talking about. some prefix's work better on some names and not others. also said can be said about alternative tails. (er, y, o, able, s, ies, oo, sy, etc)

•••
I would try to shortlist more than one "perfect" domains. But if I was able to select only one which is out of my budget, then I wouldn't mind doing the following:

1. I would buy the domain in any other extension considering the .com is out of my budget.
2. Would use a prefix with the domain.

It happened with one of my friend five years ago when he liked a domain and it wasn't available (my friend isn't a domainer, he wanted a domain for his business). So what he did was he added "THE" in front of his domain and bought it. It's still up and running with a website, and he's happy with it.

In my opinion, sometimes using prefix can add more appeal to certain domains, like MyShoeStore, GoCarRental, OurTravelGuide and etc. But the same can not be the case with many domains. And that is why, we have brandable/madeup words to go with, lol.

In addition to this, use the change to run ads and marketing for your company and get money rolling... Brand brings money not domain.

•••
I would go for "XXXXX".biz

The smartest investment.

•••
•••

You are missing the "nf" letters in between the io letters (Even though I know you do mean .io) haha as I think .info is also good, but I value a bit less than .biz

If you go with two words, might as well just aim for one word in another TLD.

.BIZ then .INFO!

Problem solved!

•••
Most names really worth $50k would've been taken in most of the good prefixes.

•••
For a business are most of those prefixes even worth it anyways. I mean each one listed would pertain to some but not to others. As far as the perfect name most would go under 50 grand but if its really worth it regardless of your business being relevant or not I would hold out a little trying to negotiate it lower. If all fails save more and then buy it. It's a 1 of 1 not much you can do.

•••
Stick with dotcom and ask for branding help from this board. Your name won't cost anywhere near that amount. What is the product/service?

•••
Ask to buy the $50K .COM with monthly installments.

•••
Get the owner fired from his or her job then offer $5,000 to help pay the mortgage.

•••
I would find a way to find a (perfect) name.

•••
•••
If you are a starting a new company you should plan to buy the .COM from day 1, if you can't then start building your site on the exact match of the .COM on another extension.

The biggest concern about not owning the .COM is losing customers to the .COM. This is a real problem, as I have personally worked with domains that were the exact match (or shortest variant) to another business operating on another extension or a prefixed .COM.

Many customers were eMailing and visiting the wrong domain on a daily basis - meaning lost business for the other business not using the best .COM.

So from the start you should plan on buying the .COM.

Build on another extension, and when you can afford the asking price of the current owner THEN buy the shortest .COM. In most cases the price will be a pittance versus your ROI. Even $10,000 is cheap for a domain name.

This way, even though you are increasing the value of the .COM, you eventually will be the owner and will reap the benefits in the end.

However be advised, that if you do this you will be making it more expensive in the long run - unless the .COM owner is oblivious to what other businesses are using their .COM name in other extensions. Most domain investors are quite savvy, so expect to pay more if you you wait.

The shortest exact matching .COM defines your role as an authority on the subject.

So if you absolutely can't own the .COM through a payment plan, or the price is just out of your reach, use another extension until you can.

•••
It really depends on the nature of your intended business, it might be worth forking out $50,000.

•••
It's really hard to say without knowing the word in question.

I would spend the time and get a brilliant two word domain, and I mean ace.

•••
As we all know the absolute perfect domain is most of the time out of our budget. So when you want to start a new company and the perfect name is over $50,000 would you stay with the perfect name and add a prefix like GoXXXXX, GetXXXXX, BuyXXXXX or would you choose a name that's not that great just so you didn't have to add a prefix?

I know as domainers most would answer not to use the prefix but try to answer the question with an unbiased opinion.

OMG, the replies are a little frightening. Reality check time... You have more to think about than the company domain...IF you buy the perfect domain for what you THINK your company will be, then you are stuck. MOST start up pivot, change directions, add other products. In the last few years this industry is moving at the speed of sound. What would I do? i would buy a short, radio friendly fun name and brand it yourself...It worked for Yahoo, Google and dozens more...keep it as a .com!

IMHO...Namaste,
Serry

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back