Dynadot

question When you buy a non .com tld, would be better to have the .com free or already used by a big company?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TopBrandsForSale

NameFinest.comUpgraded Member
Impact
If I want to buy for example: WWW.EXAMPLE.IO

It would be better to have EXAMPLE.COM already used by a big company, or not taken by anyone?

Thoughts on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Assuming you're starting a company and choose .io, you should hope to be able to buy .com down the line if you're successful, so the best case scenario (other than it being free, in which case you should just register and use it) would be if the domain is owned by a domainer. If it's owned, and especially if it's *used* by a big company, you'll probably be stuck with .io, which is not optimal.

•••
Not really. The .com may have Trade Mark and you will be in trouble with the non .com

•••
It's better to buy generic terms than target one specific end user.

Also, it normally works the other way.

Secondary extensions generally want to upgrade to .COM.

Brad

•••
It's better to buy generic terms than target one specific end user.

Also, it normally works the other way.

Secondary extensions generally want to upgrade to .COM.

Brad

Yes, I know that. But my question is specifically tied to non.com domains. Does it matter what happens on the .con version of my domain or not?

•••
It all depends, sometimes you want to be able to see the new gtld for example because you are offering a price that an end user can afford with the .com in use and out of reach. A more sophisticated startup might not use a word where they know they will never get the .com.

A lot of different strategies on the topic. I think Roman has been using Ro.co on tv ads lately and not calling themselves Roman when they advertised GetRoman.com, Roman.com has been in business for decades.

But I think if you have a smaller business who might be open to having a new gtld because they want that keyword, them knowing they can never upgrade to the .com might make them say ok I will go with this exact match keyword that I desire. But they always have choice and will be hearing from many to always use a .com and add a prefix or suffix to the keyword.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back