NameSilo

When will ICANN stop approving new GTLD extensions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lite

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
When will ICANN stop approving/ accepting new GTLD extensions? It will be catastrophe if they don’t stop. There are already good extensions for every department/ category. The only people who make money with countless extensions are ICANN and registrars.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When will ICANN stop approving new GTLD extensions?
.. The only people who make money with countless extensions are ICANN and registrars.
..so then 'why' would they want to stop approving them? :-,

•••
I don't see then stopping the approval anytime soon.

Keep in mind that there's a big push now for the .brand TLDs, as we're starting to see brands apply for their own TLD. The .Barclays TLD comes time mind, as an example of this.

•••
How is it a big catastrophe? Having more choice isn't catastrophe imo. The only catastrophe I could think of is for the .com owners in several years.

•••
How is it a big catastrophe? Having more choice isn't catastrophe imo. The only catastrophe I could think of is for the .com owners in several years.

The source being somebody who buys .ooo domains.

"When will ICANN stop approving new GTLD extensions?"

With a world full of suckers, why stop.

•••
•••
The source being somebody who buys .ooo domains.

"When will ICANN stop approving new GTLD extensions?"

With a world full of suckers, why stop.

Everytime I read a thread about new gtlds I see you complaining about them and insulting people who owns them. You must have a lot of .com

•••
Everytime I read a thread about new gtlds I see you complaining about them and insulting people who owns them. You must have a lot of .com

A lot of .com and a lot of sense. You just complained about what I said but it was in reply to what you (complaining and insulting) said:

"The only catastrophe I could think of is for the .com owners in several years."

That is more likely with new gtlds. The numbers on this aren't looking good. It's the one thing you guys never want to talk about, examine. When those numbers aren't meeting expectations, I wouldn't want to talk about them either.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/forecast-33-million-get-around-6.867467/

Catastrophe? 2 new gtlds in top 100, 2. There are even more .coms this year than previous years.
http://www.dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm

Last edited:
•••
...The numbers on this aren't looking good. It's the one thing you guys never want to talk about, examine. When those numbers aren't meeting expectations, I wouldn't want to talk about them either...
And this just boils down to 'whom's expectations' they're supposed to meet. I haven't heard of, or seen of, 'one' gtld registry complaining about 'not meeting expectations'. But as for domainers... well, "..blah, rant, blah, rant, blah, ra.."

•••
A lot of .com and a lot of sense. You just complained about what I said but it was in reply to what you (complaining and insulting) said:

"The only catastrophe I could think of is for the .com owners in several years."

That is more likely with new gtlds. The numbers on this aren't looking good. It's the one thing you guys never want to talk about, examine. When those numbers aren't meeting expectations, I wouldn't want to talk about them either.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/forecast-33-million-get-around-6.867467/

Catastrophe? 2 new gtlds in top 100, 2. There are even more .coms this year than previous years.
http://www.dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm

The numbers in my wallet are good enough.

•••
And this just boils down to 'whom's expectations' they're supposed to meet. I haven't heard of, or seen of, 'one' gtld registry complaining about 'not meeting expectations'. But as for domainers... well, "..blah, rant, blah, rant, blah, ra.."

There have been plenty of new gtlds that made predictions and didn't meet them

.xyz 1 million first year, was about 50,000 short and now 730,000 and falling - https://namestat.org/xyz

that was with a few hundred thousand freebies and who knows about many $1-$3 domains

.club:
With all of the above in mind, here are the numbers we predict for .CLUB in 2014:

• 300,000 names within the first week of G.A.
  • 1,000,000 names within a year of G.A.
  • 766,000 by end of 2014.
They're about at 280,000

Those are 2 of the bigger ones. Others have made some ridiculous ones, don't know of one that's met them.

ICANN predicting 33 million and getting 6 million is a bit off, don't you think.

•••
Maybe you're not familiar with the terms, but 'making predictions' is not quite the same as 'meeting expectations'! Especially when you have no idea what they actually were/are. Many a weatherman has 'predicted' rain or snow. But..it just didn't materialize. And yet people tune in again and again, to hear their new 'predictions'!

You just keep looking and reaching to find 'something' that will convince...the world?, that the new gTLDS will all fail and that you can say you 'told them so'!! :rolleyes: I would think by now, you'd just would move on, give up on your anti gTLD crusade, and let it be what it will be with those that are interested,...just not your cup of tea. And that's cool. But..some just have to prove themselves to be all knowing. que sera!

•••
Maybe you're not familiar with the terms, but 'making predictions' is not quite the same as 'meeting expectations'! Especially when you have no idea what they actually were/are. Many a weatherman has 'predicted' rain or snow. But..it just didn't materialize. And yet people tune in again and again, to hear their new 'predictions'!

You just keep looking and reaching to find 'something' that will convince...the world?, that the new gTLDS will all fail and that you can say you 'told them so'!! :rolleyes: I would think by now, you'd just would move on, give up on your anti gTLD crusade, and let it be what it will be with those that are interested,...just not your cup of tea. And that's cool. But..some just have to prove themselves to be all knowing. que sera!

haha, wow. Expectations, goals, predictions, targets, failed to meet.

And again, read the thread from the beginning, and know what the world reply means. Again, was replying to "The only catastrophe I could think of is for the .com owners in several years." My posts on the subject are usually what you see in this thread, replies to some crazy posting. I don't see crazy going away so......

It's more like you guys have some anti .com crusade, backed by nothing. I quote and link to stuff and then you pretend it's not there.

Last edited:
•••
ah, ah, ahhh, No JB! Nice change of direction try, but you quoted my post, so that more than insinuates you were replying to me, not the original OP. If so, there would be no reason to have quoted my post in your 'reply'. And the only 'anti' crusading here, as proven by your many postings, is you against the new gTLDs. Just because others have some belief/stake in the new gTLDs doesn't mean they are anti .com. Some can just see what is the inevitable coming future for domain names, and some just don't want to see (are scared to see) the status quo change or be disrupted. .

•••
ah, ah, ahhh, No JB! Nice change of direction try, but you quoted my post, so that more than insinuates you were replying to me, not the original OP. If so, there would be no reason to have quoted my post in your 'reply'. And the only 'anti' crusading here, as proven by your many postings, is you against the new gTLDs. Just because others have some belief/stake in the new gTLDs doesn't mean they are anti .com. Some can just see what is the inevitable coming future for domain names, and some just don't want to see (are scared to see) the status quo change or be disrupted. .

Was talking about my first post in this thread, I quoted Gustave. Like I said, read it again. It's talking about new gtlds, one of you new gtld fans come in and talk crazy about .com, then that's where I usually come in.

•••
I read it..again, still same question.... So why did you quote me?

•••
I read it..again, still same question.... So why did you quote me?

I think the follow up should explain that, go reread that again as well. I quoted you and then I replied. Let me quote myself:

"Expectations, goals, predictions, targets, failed to meet."

Just to make you happy, none of them met "predictions". Most would see that as failing, you would see the opposite I guess.

Nothing has changed. Post 11 you quoted me, and again in post 13, so I'm not missing anything here. But you are trying hard to make it so.

Are you sleepy or something? Quotes come with.......... replies. That's how it usually works. I don't understand what you're not grasping.

•••
Obviously, they will never stop. It's clearly changed... The Internet, I mean.
Dot-coms, dot-nets, dot-whatever-with-no-much-sense became unnecessary rudiments from now. Why shall we expect big businesses paying ridiculous amounts of money for nothing-really-valuable if they can literally register a domain zone for a fixed (!) fee which is often much cheaper than the price we ask for our rubbish? Own extensions will really make them different from the others. As for smaller businesses, they will go 'budget' way, especially minding that newgtlds offer what dot-coms could never offer - the creativity.

•••
Nothing has changed. Post 11 you quoted me, and again in post 13, so I'm not missing anything here. But you are trying hard to make it so.

•••
Just to make you happy, none of them met "predictions". Most would see that as failing, you would see the opposite I guess.
So your take is that 'anyone' that makes 'any' prediction that doesn't come to fruition is a failer. So if Apple predicts their stock will hit $200, and only hits $175, they also, according to you, are failures. Wow.., You must be disappointed in a whole lot of professional types of people then.

•••
Also JB, always good to see you 're-edit' your posts after you make them, to try make your points more relevant and others as being off. weak...

•••
Also JB, always good to see you 're-edit' your posts after you make them, to try make your points more relevant and others as being off. weak...

That's what the edit button is for. To correct mistakes, add information. I usually do it within a few minutes of any post. Instead of rambling off 3 posts in a row.

And yes, in talking domains, if you predict 33 million and get 6, that's failing to me. Or predict 1 million and get 280,000. We can agree to disagree on that one if you like.

•••
And this just boils down to 'whom's expectations' they're supposed to meet. I haven't heard of, or seen of, 'one' gtld registry complaining about 'not meeting expectations'.
I think JB said it best. Registries have always performed below their own expectations. I don't think they all have a grasp of reality.
For instance, if you take the .tel registry, it's like they live in the twilight zone. They are not alone.
I think some of the registries are just 'ordinary' business ventures: some smart entrepreneurs raise money from investors that are not knowledgeable about the domain industry, while granting themselves comfortable salaries, then they spend OPM (other people's money) and enjoy the show while it lasts. Whether the thing works is not a life or death situation.

Why shall we expect big businesses paying ridiculous amounts of money for nothing-really-valuable if they can literally register a domain zone for a fixed (!) fee which is often much cheaper than the price we ask for our rubbish?
You certainly are aware that obtaining your own extension is a 6-figure proposition. While the majority of domain sales are in the low 4-figure range on average (one-time fee as well ! ;)). Not to mention the operational costs of running the registry. It's not like any business will pursue that route.

•••
Yes, sure, but you will agree, there are no prospects for the sales like vodka.com, etc That era finished forever. That's what I meant

•••
I think JB said it best. Registries have always performed below their own expectations. I don't think they all have a grasp of reality.
For instance, if you take the .tel registry, it's like they live in the twilight zone. They are not alone.
I think some of the registries are just 'ordinary' business ventures: some smart entrepreneurs raise money from investors that are not knowledgeable about the domain industry, while granting themselves comfortable salaries, then they spend OPM (other people's money) and enjoy the show while it lasts. Whether the thing works is not a life or death situation.
Ok.., but what does any of this matter to the success of an extension, new or old? .Tel may live in the twilight zone, but the extension is still out there, and used by those that want to use it. .Mobi is considered a 'failure' extension by domainers, yet is used heavily in Africa and other countries. And how or why one runs a registry, or whether or not they meet their 'expectations', again, has nothing to do with an extensions viability. If they F-up the biz and belly up, someone else takes it over and it's still out there being bought and used. (ala .mobi) So is it the extension that failed, or the people that ran it failed?? What I usually see, is that it's the extension that is not the one 'gone'!

This whole "..whatever....proof of doom" scenerio braggadociosing, is that some feel if an extension doesn't have big reg numbers, ala .com/.net/.org etc., or is not popular enough to be re-sellable, then they are failures and people that buy/use them are chasing fools gold (or whatever derogatory term that's thrown at them), and are/will be failures. Yet, I'm hard pressed to think of an extension that 'failed and was decommissioned' and taken away to no longer be used.

Perplexing...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back