IT.COM

discuss Domain Train Wreck: Why Only .COM Will Succeed

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The alternative naming concept would probably have worked well 20 years ago, but today, the new-gtld extensions are a terrible idea. At this point, there is no need for them and they serve no purpose other than providing additional inventory for registrars to promote and to fill the coffers of ICANN, the internet's naming authority. For those unfamiliar with the topic, gtld stands for Generic Top Level Domain and refers to the characters to the right of the dot in a domain name. My company's domain name, for example, is PCProfessor.Com with .COM acting as the TLD. The new crop of 1900+ .COM competitors -- including .Tattoo, .Bike, .Attorney, .Plumbing, .Apartments, .Bingo, .Broker, .LOL, .Pizza and .House -- offer absolutely nothing to benefit the end-user and are potentially dangerous for those who rush in to buy and use them. Price-wise, most of the new extensions cost two or more times the price of an available .COM, both upfront and annually. Some are absurdly priced. The recently-introduced .Luxury extension, for example, costs $799/annually. While others may disagree, I believe that by allowing such outrageously priced novelty extensions to be included in the GTLD rollout, the livelihood of the entire expansion program has now been put in jeopardy.
Yet another big problem is that only a very few names make any real sense and serve a useful purpose. With so many of the new gtld extensions not representing any line of commerce, it will ultimately prove devastating not only those particular extensions, but also to the entire program as a whole. Premium domain names that actually make sense are typically being held back and auctioned off for large amounts of money by many of the new registries. Seems to me as if all of the good ones fall in this category. Of course, that makes no sense because this global naming expansion was supposed to be all about availability, right?
In my opinion, there exists a very realistic possibility that some (or all) of the newly established domain name registries can go under soon. If and when this happens -- even for just one alternative registry -- there will be a mass flight to .COM for safety and credibility. What ultimately happens to any websites built on a foundation of gtld quicksand remains to be seen but I suspect it will be ugly...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Old post, but always funny to read :)

•••
I do not understand that old article from 2014 presented as "news" here..do I miss something?

If we are served news, can we please have something from 2017? :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back