IT.COM

poll When preferred domain is taken, which of these options are next best?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

theantking311

Impact
I have started a private school and need input about the domain name.
The school name is something similar to "Exemplify Academy" and unfortunately the domain name that I wanted, which matches the school name exactly (e.g., ExemplifyAcademy. com), is not available.

Now what direction do I go? Which is my next best option?

1) Add THE to the beginning, like THEExemplifyAcademy. com
2) Add the city abbreviation, like ExemplifyAcademyLA. com
3) Add the state abbreviation, like ExemplifyAcademyCA. com
4) Add a dash, like Exemplify-Academy. com
5) Change the TLD, like ExemplifyAcademy. edu or ExemplifyAcademy. net
6) Veer from the school name as domain name, like ExemplifySchool. com
7) Use the tagline as the domain name instead of the school name, like "becomeyourbest. com
8) Abbreviate the name and add the location like EALosAngeles. com or EACali . com
9) Some other option???

Thank you!!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hey, good luck with your new venture. I would def. go with "Exemplify.Academy" if the ExemplifyAcademy.com is taken. You are lucky that the 2nd keyword of your brand is already available as an extension to be registered. Hope it helps

Last edited:
•••
I would keep it a com and add 'the' in this particular case using "Exemplify Academy" as the example.

ADD: I assumed the .edu was not available...if it is I would snag that in addition to adding 'the' to the com. Additionally...BUY the com if it is not too much! My other assumption is that you felt it was priced out of range...several hundred for an exact match would not be too much...might be worth way more depending on the real name. After you get the .edu and the 'the' version secured, come back to us and let us know the real name and the asking price...you will likely get some very definite 'buy' or 'dont buy' responses.

Last edited:
•••
The school name is something similar to "Exemplify Academy" and unfortunately the domain name that I wanted, which matches the school name exactly (e.g., ExemplifyAcademy. com), is not available.

7) Use the tagline as the domain name instead of the school name, like "becomeyourbest. com
8) Abbreviate the name and add the location like EALosAngeles. com or EACali . com
9) Some other option???

Thank you!!

You have summed it up beautifully ) This is why domain sales are about 1% a year even for the great names, as there are so many secondary options.

If your .com is priced reasonably and you can afford it, secure it.

If not, and you are accredited, .edu is your best option that you should get even if you get your .com

third best option for educational could be .org

.academy is nice, but it still is more a hack if your name is not just "Exemplify", but "Exemplify Academy" and will create lots of confusion. If cheap, you can buy this too as a tool in your social media and marketing arsenal, like shortener.

•••
If your .com is for sale at a reasonable price, acquire it. It's a domaining forum here after all. And not to mention if you're serious about your new venture, getting the name right from the get go could save in potential future dollars and trouble.

Well if you really dont plan to purchase .com, I personally like the .com with the -

•••
If you can get .edu, definitely get .edu. It will significantly boost credibility.

•••
Go for .edu in case you don't want to purchase .com

Even if you purchase .com still secure .edu

•••
Options 1,2 and 3 look good to me, in this order.
Also ExemplifyAcademy. edu would fit perfectly.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you all for the input! VERY very helpful!!!

•••
change the name of your school

after registering the .com

•••
Find the best available domain for the purpose and name the business after it. That option is still open if you haven't started trading yet. Even if already open you should at least consider it.

Do NOT put hyphens, superfluous words, numbers, into the name of an academic institution, nor its domain name, if you want to retain credibility with discerning parents or clients.

•••
I agree with @frank-germany. I'd change the name of your school after you've registered the .com. If it would increase your credibility to have the .edu and you qualify, I'd get that to. But for me the .com is enough. It also gives you credibility. If you cannot change the school name, you are in a bit of a jam. But I just did a whois check and the .com seems to be available. Why do you say it is not?

Last edited:
•••
I agree with @frank-germany. I'd change the name of your school after you've registered the .com. If it would increase your credibility to have the .edu and you qualify, I'd get that to. But for me the .com is enough. It also gives you credibility. If you cannot change the school name, you are in a bit of a jam. But I just did a whois check and the .com seems to be available. Why do you say it is not?

For an accredited school with ambitions .edu is really important.

Google also gives certain extra weight to those in part because you cannot just go get .edu

And the OP mentioned that the name in the thread is not the actual one, just an example

•••
go with the hyphen, hyphen sales are up. good luck. :)

•••
For an accredited school with ambitions .edu is really important.

Google also gives certain extra weight to those in part because you cannot just go get .edu

And the OP mentioned that the name in the thread is not the actual one, just an example

Thank you. I stand corrected :)

•••
Assuming that tuition is not free to students and that the school probably receives federal or state education funding, why is there no consideration of acquiring the domain within some reasonable budget? Are the professors working as volunteers? What about the administrators - volunteers as well? What portion of the annual operating budget is dedicated to marketing and IT resources? You usually get what you pay for.

•••
another option maybe is ExemplifyA.com

•••
Consider a new name altogether rather than promoting the not yours Exemplify Academy.

Last edited:
•••
@theantking311 - Is the exact domain developed? If so is it in the same city or State as your own institution?

Obviously if the domain name is not developed then perhaps seriously consider purchasing the domain from the present owner (at least see if they are willing to sell it and what price they would want for it).

If the domain is developed and it is neither in the same city or State then identifying your site geographically makes more sense than starting to muck around with the actual institution name.

It would help to know how to advise you further without knowing the answers to the above questions and also, if you are willing to say, which State you are in (and if the .com domain is developed which State that institution is in).

•••
I understand that most of us here have concluded that .com is the king.

However, for the accredited institutions .edu is the default name that they should have their primary site at.

.com and .org are nice to have and should be a primary, if you are not eligible for .edu

Just to remind, even Harvard and Yale don't own their exact match .com

Harvard.com is a bookstore, for example. Harvard, the school that is revered for teaching business and other subjects, can't figure out the importance of owning .com (for them it should be)

They should just buy out the book store to get the name ))

But, again, most accredited schools are fine at .edu. Having .com and .org should complete all they need regarding domains. If within a country with strong cctld, that too.

•••
the "The" option isn't bad

•••

9) Some other option???

Thank you!!

I like the personally for this example.

•••
It depends on several things.

If "being online" is an essential part of what you do, you may even need to change the name. Otherwise, you have several options.

0. If the .com version is an actively developed website, any of the options you mention is not an actual option. None of them makes sense, while .com is used by others.

1. If the .com domain name is not developed;
1.A -> if it is listed as for sale (you can check this on dofo.com), and if the price is affordable, buy it. Affordable doesn't mean how cheap it is.
1.B -> if it is not listed as for sale, you can use any brokerage company to check if you can buy it or not. Of course, with a budget.

Other options you mentioned:
. You can add a "the" to the domain name, but you will want to get rid of it.

2-3. If you add the city or state abbreviation to the domain name, it can be understood as there are many Exemplify Academy branches and that one is the branch in that city/state. If you are OK with this, that might be an option.

4. Some unicorns use a domain name with hyphens without having the non-hyphen versions. You can also do this, but it doesn't seem so cool. You risk losing visitors. And almost 50% of the emails might be sent to the non-hyphen versions. (See: Domain Names of Unicorns)

5. Using another extension is always an option. There are so many companies do this. If you can register the .edu, you should do this (see academia.edu). If you use other domain extensions, you have to emphasize the domain extension while saying it because it's not a .com, "the default extension of the web". Note that Coursera is using coursera.org, but they also own the .com version.

6. If your brand name (Exemplify Academy) and the domain name (ExemplifySchool.com) are similar but different, it becomes a problem. You and others will confuse what name to use, Academy or School. I saw similar examples before.

7. If your tagline is very catchy/memorable, you can do this, but I wouldn't use such a domain name as the official website because it may seem unprofessional. And don't forget, you will use the domain name with email addresses. [email protected] doesn't seem so good.

8. You don't want to use a domain name with abbreviating the name and adding the location. The important part is not the location, but your brand, and what you do.

•••
1. .edu
2. Abbreviate (a lot of education based sites do that, so in this field it looks to a common approach)
3. Use "The"

•••
If you have not gone too far with the academy, you can change the name of the name of the academy and register the domain name and publish the academy on your website.

But if you have gone far and you don't want to change the name, you can use your country code or geo name. Geo name will even make your academy get known quickly and make you popular in your environment i.e OklahomaAcademy.com; such names are even better in some cases.

•••
Back