IT.COM

advice When did you start Domaining? Best Advice for Newbies?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Candace

Broker at Starfire HoldingsTop Member
Starfire Holdings
Impact
Hi All,

I am relatively new to Namepros. Hi Everyone! I love it so far. I would love to know:

1. When did you become a domainer?
2. How?
3. What one advice would you give to Newbies? (the more specific the better, but general is great to)
4. Shout out the person(s) you are most thankful to for guidance in your domaining career.

I always like to hear other people's stories and get their advice.

About me:
1. When? I started Jan 1st 2016
2. How? Random. Internet Search
3. Advice? I am a newbie. My best advice to myself would be to find a mentor before purchasing my first domain.
4. Shout Outs? @DomainSherpa for DNAcademy & DomainSherpa.com.
@Zandibot for giving great advice on zandibot.com & for his contributions to DNAcademy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. 1999
2. I found out about greatdomains.com
3. If you are a newbie, learn as much as possible, because youll make mistakessss, sharpen your gut feeling, because in my opinion it's really coming down to it, the ability to be able to know, to tell a winner and a loser.

Most newbies buy seriously crappy names and think they have winners, it is good if you could avoid this.

Also dont get emotional about domains you have, because imho it's stupid, most domainers get unnecessarily emotional.

Good luck!

•••
Love it! Thank you so much

•••
1. I've owned and developed websites since the late 90's; threw myself into full-time domaining since 2013.
2. I was always able to pick decent domain names for projects on my own, but when I asked someone how much it would cost to buy their domain and they threw me a $30k price tag - I decided to look at this a little closer.
3. Don't be afraid to spend money on good domains. Hoping that your $20 closeout domain sells for $100k is going to be a long shot. But you might hit a home run with a $2k - $5k acquisition.
4. Thanks to @candhan for making a nice conversational thread and helping with some feedback on a recent article.

•••
1. Around 2008
2. Was looking for a domain name on ebay for a website and I've discovered that I'm good at digging for creative .com names. And I was able to flip domains for quick profit. Today I like to hold my names longer for bigger profit.
3.Do your research, Don't lie to your self, Don't fall in love with your investments, Understand the true value of your investments, Avoid registering Trademarks, Spend a lot of time at NameBio.com and DNJournal.com, Follow the trends, Once you know the game you will have to dig on many marketplaces to find undervalued domain names. The best feeling is when you know that you are making money on the buy. Sometimes you may have to get out of your comfortable zone and spend a good part of your savings on the right domain (when you know you can resell it for the same amount, a bit less or more if you need urgent money), No guts no glory! but don't put yourself in financial problems. No investment is 100% guaranteed. Just less or more risky.
4.@DomainSherpa and Francois Carrillo owner of Domaining.com and CAX.com Marketplace where I've sold my first domain name for $200+ profit and many more!

•••
Nice thread. Here's my story:

1. Started: I started domaining in 2009.
2. How: I still remember that I randomly searched the domain "DomainKing.com" and found Mr. Rick's blog there. And then it all started. I researched his websites for hours if I remember correctly. This got me excited and I dived into domaining by purchasing around 20 domains which were mostly Pigeon Sh#t, hehehe.
3. Advice: Do not purchase your first domain without studying the industry. The domaining field has matured pretty much and it has become more competitive than it used to. So do your homework, research, learn, and repeat.
4. Thankful to: The one and only Mr. Rick Schwartz, and Michael Cyger of Domainsherpa.com

•••
1. When did you become a domainer?

2. How?

Had a handful of websites running maybe (5) and someone offered 1k on a domain I hadn't put to use yet. Got me thinking reg fee into 1k sounds good so sold it and stocked a portfolio of expired reg fee keyword .coms as liked the idea of reg fee turning into x,xxx. Over the last 14 years almost all my sales have been reg fee expired .coms into x,xxx-xx,xxx or basically nothing into something. Don't do a ton of sales but don't need to as the profit margin is insane. Today I run around (50) websites which provides my income which makes being a passive seller much easier as don't need the money. I still hold hundreds (currently 442 at this exact moment) of aged keyword .coms at all times for domain sales. So basically I started as a developer and then added domaining with the majority of domain profits being reinvested back into my developed projects as I'd rather run websites bringing in income when I'm sleeping so I'm not pressed to make a domain sale.

3. What one advice would you give to Newbies? (the more specific the better, but general is great to)

Common sense+Follow the numbers
Keep statistics on anything you do and adjust to what is working. Advice from others is nice but common sense and being able to analyze your own statistics and learn from them and adjust is really all you need as numbers don't lie.

4. Shout out the person(s) you are most thankful to for guidance in your domaining career.

I try something, analyze and adjust. Some things work great, some need adjustments and some I abort as they need too much work to justify the income they bring. The ones that don't work I don't consider a loss I consider it a tuition fee to learn not to touch that category again or find someone that knows how to handle that category better and form a partnership.

So wouldn't say any one person drew me a blueprint to success as was more of I wanna make money while I'm sleeping, while I'm out driving around etc... so I basically throw money at something and give it a shot. If I'm giving props to anyone would say various forum members over the years, good handful from NamePros along with other forums, maybe not so much for "how do I do this" but more for bouncing ideas back and forth with each other and learning together. Would also give props to some of the old timer domainer blogs, maybe not so much for teaching me but more for reinforcing ideas I had in my head or giving me the push I needed as they were in agreement. Since 99% of my domain sales happen direct through my own site I've also had extensive conversations with end users direct to learn their thought patterns and their businesses.

So in 2016 I'm managing/advertising/creating my websites and domain sales are basically just waiting for emails to arrive from my own sales landers direct and negotiating from there. When one sells majority of income goes back into my website fund as my goal isn't massive income today it's continually increasing my monthly income and then when I decide to retire I'll have a portfolio of income generating websites and domains to hand down to family or sell off.

•••
1. When did you become a domainer? last jan
2. How? was looking for a way to become rich fast and i discovered the sale of ebet
i been buying and selling things my whole life so when i found out i could sell a name i was like thats what i need to do
3. What one advice would you give to Newbies? figure out what domains are worth find out how to buy them under market value. When buying and selling don't be scared to pick up thre phone!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also All advice isn't good advice be careful what you follow. Even experienced domainers are wrong.

NAMEPROS.. NAMEBIO... with out that these 2 things i would have never made it in domaining

•••
1. Started: I started domaining in Mar 2015.
2. How: I searched a domain for myself.
3. Advice: Do not purchase your first domain without studying the industry. The domaining field has matured pretty much and it has become more competitive than it used to. So do your homework, research, learn, and repeat.
4. Thankful to: NP, @hookbox, @NameClerk.com , @michaeljkrell

•••
Thanks guys, I really like hearing everyone's stories and thanks for the advice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back