IT.COM

What's your best example of a killer sales letter for outbound marketing on your domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

StarDomains

Established Member
Impact
What's worked for you and what hasn't, and why?

Here's mine, geared towards a brandable domain.

<<<Begin Letter>>>

Subject: Digital Asset Acquisition Opportunity

[ Contact Name ],

My name is [ Your Name ] and I'm excited to offer you the opportunity to purchase the domain name [ yourdomain.com ].

[ YourDomain.com ] is a short, memorable, and brandable domain name that I believe could benefit [ Company Name ]. The name [ some benefits of the name ] which is exactly in line with [ Company Names's ] mission and objectives.

[ Any other relevant information about the domain name ]

Use this domain to better position your company brand, use it for another service or product, or take it off the market for later use before someone else does.

I am available any time at [ youremail address ] or by visiting [ link to domain landing/sales page ] .

Regards,

[ Your signature ]

<<<End Letter>>>

What are your thoughts?

I'm sure there are other discussions on here about this, but it doesn't hurt to get some fresh ideas.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
tl:dr

Most people see those emails as spam and aren't really going to want to read paragraphs of information.

IMO

My 2¢

•••
That may be true in some cases, but a lot of people say outbound is what brings the best returns.

•••
That may be true in some cases, but a lot of people say outbound is what brings the best returns.

Maybe, but I've been on both sides and don't have time to read long emails selling me something.
I'd say short and sweet can be a lot more worthwhile TBH.

:)

•••
I know. Sometimes I think I try and oversell stuff too much. But then again, you never know...

•••
Keep the first contact short to gauge interest. Then you can make a longer pitch.

Starting with a pitch like that is normally just going to be discarded as spam.

Brad

•••
Keep the first contact short to gauge interest. Then you can make a longer pitch.

Starting with a pitch like that is normally just going to be discarded as spam.

Brad

Can you show us an example? thanks.

•••
So basically just let them know who I am and that I have this domain available? And not come on too strong.

•••
So basically just let them know who I am and that I have this domain available? And not come on too strong

Yes, don't force it, just offer it. It's got to be their idea to buy, and most importantly, it has to be simple.

Your first line I'm excited to offer you the opportunity to purchase the domain name would lose most people I'd imagine.

This will work if you offer relevant. names. Good Luck.

Hi ..............,

We're currently selling the domain name ...................com and thought you may like to know of it's availability as you own .................com

The price for this domain is £xxx

Please let us know if you're interested as we're reaching out to a few potential buyers.

Signature.

•••
I would be careful about listening to "a lot of people". It really comes down to who those people are and the depth of their experience, not their numbers.

Also, to set the record straight, outbound is not the most profitable approach. Yes you should do it if no one is coming to you, but the absolute best returns come from buyers that approach you for the name, usually through direct navigation.

Always keep in mind, when you solicit interest you are automatically at a disadvantage in negotiations, when someone approaches you with interest you are automatically at an advantage.

Last edited:
•••
Like the others said:

-It's too long.
-Most people will see it as spam.
-You sound too desperate. You sound like you have some magical opportunity for them...you have to remember, most businesses don't see additional domain names as all that important, you sound desperate when you say: 'I'm excited to offer you the opportunity to purchase the domain name.' They probably don't see it as an opportunity.

•••
Always keep in mind, when you solicit interest you are automatically at a disadvantage in negotiations, when someone approaches you with interest you are automatically at an advantage.

Agreed. £300 seems to be what most are willing to pay, and I'm still waiting for someone to accept the original offer.

•••

<<<Begin Letter>>>

[ Contact Name ],

My name is [ Your Name ] and I'm excited to offer you the opportunity to purchase the domain name [ yourdomain.com ].

[ YourDomain.com ] is a short, memorable, and brandable domain name that I believe could benefit [ Company Name ]. The name [ some benefits of the name ] which is exactly in line with [ Company Names's ] mission and objectives.

Use this domain to better position your company brand, use it for another service or product, or take it off the market for later use before someone else does.

I am available any time at [ youremail address ] or by visiting [ link to domain landing/sales page ] .

Regards,

[ Your signature ]

<<<End Letter>>>

What are your thoughts?

I'm sure there are other discussions on here about this, but it doesn't hurt to get some fresh ideas.

Your initial pitch is not that great, but it's OKAY welcome aboard!
Read my post on this page here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-find-potential-end-users.68798/page-133

You will find "my secret, and my secret pitch template" ...

•••

Completely not true and a misconception. This is coming form a guy that sells 3-5 domains/week doing outbound every day a couple hours a day.
If you have the edge and know how to maintain control of a negotiation you will get what you want in any negotiation.
If you wait around for the endusers/opportunity to come to you, you may be waiting years or worse it may never come...why not go out there and create opportunities?

•••
If you wait around for the endusers/opportunity to come to you, you may be waiting years or worse it may never come...why not go out there and create opportunities?

Not trying to speak on E-Promote's behalf, but I don't think he was implying to sit around. He was simply saying that when you are the one to email them first, they have the upper hand...which I would say is generally true. Whoever starts the messaging first appears to be the eager one, the one that actually wants something. And in the world of both love and domains, the person who cares or wants the most is the one with the least power.

•••
Not trying to speak on E-Promote's behalf, but I don't think he was implying to sit around. He was simply saying that when you are the one to email them first, they have the upper hand...which I would say is generally true. Whoever starts the messaging first appears to be the eager one, the one that actually wants something. And in the world of both love and domains, the person who cares or wants the most is the one with the least power.

Sorry I have more success when I make the offer first/contact people first, more then when they contact me....

•••
Sorry I have more success when I make the offer first/contact people first, more then when they contact me....

To clarify that...are you saying that you get more sales when you contact them rather than waiting for someone to contact you? Or are you saying that you sell the domains for more money when you start the conversation versus when they start it?

•••

<<<Begin Letter>>>

[ Contact Name ],

Regards,

[ Your signature ]

<<<End Letter>>>

What are your thoughts?

I would not use this.

The only advice I can give to you is to sell without selling. Learn how to sell from the beginning, totally put aside everything you know, and then study from some master salesman on youtube.

I would also never post my most successful pitch letter online, and not many people will because it's something that you will create out of trial and error. Don't use the ones posted online, they are used by spammers to death.

Sharpen your business acumen as much as you can, and take your time; it will all come to you if you work hard and read the forums.

Good luck to you!

•••

Not the best returns, but the quickest returns.

Outbound is just opening yourself to being low-balled, but instead of by another investor, it's a slightly higher low-ball from someone in that business who in most cases just wants to sit on the name themselves. They know it's cheap and worth more than what you're asking for it which is why they're buying it.

Almost all of the outbound domain sales I've made years ago are still sitting undeveloped, some not even being forwarded anywhere. No regrets though, I made money.

It's good for cashflow but know that you're basically wholesaling good domains for low $xxx that have $x,xxx + sales potential from an inbound inquiry

Last edited:
•••
As for sales letters, my techniques have evolved with time and feedback.

Only benefits I state would be actual facts where applicable: traffic, search volume, domain age, amount of competitors advertising under the exact keywords.

Example:

Hello,

I no longer have plans for the domain Domain.com

This domain has been registered since 2008 and over 2000 people a month are typing the exact keywords "Keywords in domain" into search engines every month.

Feel free to get in touch if you'd be interested in owning it.

<First/Last Name>
Owner, Phone Number

{sometimes a footer logo for that domain}

And I would email them directly from the domain: [email protected].

And on that domain I would put: "This domain name is now for sale, contact [email protected] to inquire" - No PPC landing pages, my own page with 1 line of text linking the same email address I emailed them from.

If I really wanted to get fancy with it, I'd put a nice logo on there. An efty lander can even work for the same effect.

Last edited:
•••
I think you have a very big mail with many paragraphs. i think such kind of mail would go into spam and even it makes the inbox then the person would not want to read a long mail . Otherwise it is fine

•••
The absolute best returns come from buyers that approach you for the name, usually through direct navigation.

That makes sense. The person that throws the first punch usually ends up winning the fight. And I realize that people have different ways of doing things and the approach you use depends on the type and quality of the domains you're trying to sell. Like maxtorz said maybe the type of domains he is selling do best with outbound. Maybe someone else has domains that do much better with inbound offers. It all depends on a number of different factors.

•••
;)Domain parking is done by ip address ,so if a company inquires about a domain I let them know that I make a lot of money from people clicking on the links that live within their surrounding zip codes. So lets say the company contacting you is Johns Catering,and he wants to buy JohnsCatering.com .when he fills out the form most parking companies give you their ip address so you have an idea who the person is even if they try to hide their identity. anyway when he will go to the site and actually open the ads his competitors will be right there so your story will check out. You can do this with inbound or out bound sales. Oh by the way I own JohnsCatering .com don't CLICK ON MY LINKS .wink wink;);)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Domain parking can work very well with the right domain. I like the strategy you use with domain parking. That would work good with targeted or very specific domains. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back