Domain Empire

What's your best example of a killer sales letter for outbound marketing on your domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

StarDomains

Established Member
Impact
What's worked for you and what hasn't, and why?

Here's mine, geared towards a brandable domain.

<<<Begin Letter>>>

Subject: Digital Asset Acquisition Opportunity

[ Contact Name ],

My name is [ Your Name ] and I'm excited to offer you the opportunity to purchase the domain name [ yourdomain.com ].

[ YourDomain.com ] is a short, memorable, and brandable domain name that I believe could benefit [ Company Name ]. The name [ some benefits of the name ] which is exactly in line with [ Company Names's ] mission and objectives.

[ Any other relevant information about the domain name ]

Use this domain to better position your company brand, use it for another service or product, or take it off the market for later use before someone else does.

I am available any time at [ youremail address ] or by visiting [ link to domain landing/sales page ] .

Regards,

[ Your signature ]

<<<End Letter>>>

What are your thoughts?

I'm sure there are other discussions on here about this, but it doesn't hurt to get some fresh ideas.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So many things in this industry are over played. Like chips were...remember.

If the domain name is good then you don't need a sales letter. You should have already identified why the receiver could benefit from the name. Just tell them it is for sale.

Too many people worry about this, that and the other...stop worrying, just do.

•••
If you wait around for the endusers/opportunity to come to you, you may be waiting years or worse it may never come...why not go out there and create opportunities?
Because:
  • you are in a better bargaining position if end users come to you, rather than the other way round
  • proactively selling names is difficult because the need usually isn't there yet when you contact people - timing is important. So when end users come to you, they are in a more favorable frame of mind because they are prepared to buy. When you contact people out of the blue, they weren't expecting your mail and the need to buy is less pressing.
  • you have to make your time worthwhile - I am sure more domainers would do outbound if it were an easy way to sell any domain
Doing outbound for a brandable domain is challenging, because how can you know the person at the other end will like it or that it will benefit them ? For some names you can see 'obvious' buyers but for brandable domains ?

PS: just based on the title that says 'opportunity' I would trash the mail immediately without looking. I think the domain name should always be in the subject line.

Killer domains exist but there are no killer sales letters.

•••
@ben pedri Thanks for sharing your strategy!

I would like to ask which company u think may be very good for Parking service?

Thanks

•••
When end users come to you, they are in a more favorable frame of mind because they are prepared to buy. When you contact people out of the blue, they weren't expecting your mail and the need to buy is less pressing.

You're right the buyer has to be in a position to buy before you even start selling them anything. If I end up doing outbound in the future I'll re-think my sales letter. I've learned so much just from this thread. Thanks to all you guys! :xf.smile:

•••
What is the best subject line for such a letter?

- Domain name? It may confuse the addressee and end up in trash bin.
- Business opportunity? it sounds fair but most likely end up in trash bin immediately.
- Any better idea, so the email will not end up in the trash bin without reading it?

•••
For the subject line, I usually write something along the lines of:
* "For [sales director OR office manager OR product manager first name] - [domain of current site] website question" (ideal, when individual contact information is available)
* "For board of directors - [domain of current site] website question" (for non-profit organizations, when specific individual info not available)
* "Please forward to owner - [domain of current site] website question" (for restaurants, clubs, bars, and small stores, when individual info not available)
* Plain "[domain of current site] website question" (for small companies, when individual info not available)
* "[domain of current site] website suggestion" (when filling out a feedback for that specifically "welcomes comment or suggestions")
* "Domain name of potential interest to [company name]" (for large corporations)

I have NOT had any luck with:
* "For sales - [domain name of current site] website question"
...so I would advise against using it.

Based on sheer cognition, I would ABSOLUTELY advise against subject lines containing these:
* "Domain name for sale!"
* Anything with exclamation points or all-caps. Profoundly unprofessional.
* "Important and confidental", "Urgent matter for your attention", and the like. I receive about 25 e-mails with subject lines like these on my AOL account daily, and they all drop straight into my spam folder.

post by Joshua

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back