IT.COM

What's one domain trend you regretted buying into?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Way3

Branding and Domain InvestingEstablished Member
Impact
What is the one domain trend over the years that you most regretted buying into?

I'll start - early on in my investing I saw someone, somewhere (Twitter?) saying that they'd sold a .fr domain, and they said they were making a fortune selling country specific domains only. Being new, I just bought up a slew of .fr domains - that was years ago, long story short that went nowhere, and I quickly let go of that.

Learning lessons are the best. :xf.rolleyes:

btw - if you are new to domaining, some country based tlds sell very well. Not that one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
.net
.org's
I'm glad you said this. Many years ago, when .com, .net, and .org were the big three only available, getting these permutations with the .com made sense. Now, with all the other extensions available, my preference has been to stick with the .coms.

•••
.mobi argh!!!
LOL, me too. It didn't kill me financially because they were so cheap, but I did buy a few hundred back when it looked like they were going somewhere.

•••
.mobi
.ws
.biz
.us

In that order. I'm starting to like .biz again mostly because there are some great terms available again, but I'm just getting ones I will develop.

•••
I am surprised more people have not come forward and said they got sucked into Libra - People lost the plot with it - 45 pages on the showcase thread

•••
I am surprised more people have not come forward and said they got sucked into Libra - People lost the plot with it - 45 pages on the showcase thread
Probably too busy buying xyz names to match their Libra ones.

•••
.mobi
.ws
.biz
.us

In that order. I'm starting to like .biz again mostly because there are some great terms available again, but I'm just getting ones I will develop.

There recently seemed to be some attempt to revive .us interest, but in the United States the popular use seems to be for official sites of cities and towns.

•••
PHYGITAL
I was aware from the very beginning that it sounded weird but I still wanted to test the water and bought a few phygital+keyword.com and phygital.ngtld domains but did not renew any of them.

I got a good lesson for a few bucks.

•••
•••
but I'm just getting ones I will develop.
Don't do it with .biz mate, please don't do it. You'll regret it. Nobody trusts .biz.

•••
Great idea for a thread, @Way3 ! Thank you.

At one point I had a number of reg-fee .gdn. The price was right, .gdn for global domain name seemed sensible to me, and you could get great keywords without premium fee or renewal, but the market for them never developed. I only kept 1 or 2 past the first year, and have not had any for years.

Bob

•••
.net
.org's
random 4l coms

Buying names that appeal to restaurants. Of all domain buyers, they must the cheapest people around. Glad they have food inspectors or these people are the group most likely to serve you stale food that will kill you.
I like your humour, every time I learn an article when I saw your comment, I smile😊

•••
Back in 2016, I had been domaining for less than 1 year when I got swept away by the 6N .com craze. At one point there was talk that all 6Ns .com had been registered so I tried to get as many as I could from sellers on here. Bought a bunch of random useless 6Ns that I dropped a few years later. I knew that pattern was important with 6Ns but thought that eventually lesser 6Ns would be worth enough for me to get a decent return on my investment :xf.rolleyes:

•••
I registered a dozen of hepticglov & metaglov domains.

Do nt think they will sell

I have a bunch of dao domains, lets see where they go

•••
I think that there are now over 1,000 different extensions available (maybe someone can confirm exact number for clarity) and in my opinion they are only introduced so that someone can make money from naive or irrational registrations.

They then know that they will drop and the cycle repeats itself. Now, IMHO some of the alternative name combinations and extensions are actually very good as brands but not as domain names. However, as I always expect the unexpected I appreciate that sometimes lightening does strike once and I have a few odds/randoms which at one point made goo sense in my tiny little head. Live and learn I guess.

Some would argue that I have too many (some) hyphenated names but slowly they rise. This in the annuls of history may prove to be my downfall and in 1,000 years people will say....Reddstagg, never heard of them!!!

A balanced portfolio is always a good idea in any investment strategy but never get in too deep or pend money that you can't afford to lose and remember that the value of your domain portfolio will go down as well as go down!!! LOL

Enjoy the ride.

Rgrds,

Redd

•••
What is the one domain trend over the years that you most regretted buying into?

I'll start - early on in my investing I saw someone, somewhere (Twitter?) saying that they'd sold a .fr domain, and they said they were making a fortune selling country specific domains only. Being new, I just bought up a slew of .fr domains - that was years ago, long story short that went nowhere, and I quickly let go of that.

Learning lessons are the best. :xf.rolleyes:

btw - if you are new to domaining, some country based tlds sell very well. Not that one.
Hi Bob, I live in France and have bought a few .fr domains but never sold one. Actually, I have just looked, and I only have one - Pinyin.fr because pinyin is an international word I presumed it would be good. I live in hope

•••
7N (NNNNNNN ) .com during chinese number boom in 2016

•••
Regged a few VASP names, when I started domaining last year.

•••
I only have one - Pinyin.fr because pinyin is an international word I presumed it would be good. I live in hope

You live in delusion.

Pinyin is not an international word and not even related with France.

Besides, there's no such a thing as international word.

•••
SBS extension. I buy two SBS extension domain name. But now I thinking, am I did wrong?

•••
•••
•••
and remember that the value of your domain portfolio will go down as well as go down!!!
Favourite quote of the weekend, nice one mate!

•••
I don't do too badly selling .co.uk names. I tend to focus on a specific niche at any one time and outbound where I can.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back