IT.COM

question What's on your domain name pre-purchase checklist?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JohnAmibo

Established Member
Impact
So say you have a short list of available names but cannot possibly afford them all, what are the checks and methods you would use to compare them and decide on the best ones to purchase?

Also, how do you evaluate if there are likely to be any copyright/trademark complications with a potential domain?

Many thanks, Ja

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For me it’s search volume , marketability , chances a business would find it desirable or value I can derive for a future project. It depends on if I’m planning on using it or selling.

•••
Thanks for the reply, just noticed your username, that's very similar to the name of my website ✌️

•••
•••
@Charybdis thanks for pointing me in the right direction

•••
The very general answer to your question is: the popularity of one name over the other is how names are picked. Now, specific checks and methods - I don't think anyone will share lots of their secrets here in public. Everyone has their own tactics and strategies that generally domainers do protect from fierce competition.
But indeed, previous answers are sending you in the right direction.

Second question is easy, check trademarked names here: https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/search

Last edited:
•••
Once I have shortlised my domains, then it comes down to whether im going to use it. I have tried buying domains for myself and domains that I think other people will like. In the end, I know that the ones I plan to use for websites are marginally more likely to sell.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back