Domain Empire

discuss What would you buy - 100 $10 name, 10 $100 name or 1 $1000 name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I am looking forward to invest $1,000 in domain names.
My experience with hand registration has been fantastic since I mostly deal in hand reg names, selling them for low, mid, high $$$ or sometimes low $$$$ quick flips.
I am usually able to sell 2 out of 10 names that I hand register. But they are well researched names.

Never invested over a $100 on a single name. So, I was wondering if I should go for 100 $10 names, 10 $100 names or 1 $1000 name?
What would you suggest should I go for? Also, what would you go for, had this been your investment and what would be the thought process behind that decision.

What do you think could provide the best ROI considering a 1 year time frame and my experience with hand-reg and nil experience with the other two!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
in my opinion you can go with 10 $100 names because more expensive domain give more ROI.

•••
You can test 2 options by buying 9 x $100 and 10 x $10.

•••
If you are that good at researching names, I think you have already answered your question yourself.

100 $10 names.

•••
1 $1000 name = $10 yearly renewal
100 $10 names = $1000 yearly renewals
10 $100 names = $100 yearly renewals

'1 $1000 name' and '10 $100 names' would likely yield the best ROI, and this is the option I would likely go for.

But, selling a 1 $1000 name (for maybe 3 - 5 times your investment) to an end-user, may not be as easy, compared to the lower investment options.

Last edited:
•••
10 x $100 names..

Although your renewals will be lower for the $1000 name it puts all your eggs in one basket

•••
If you have 1000 domain names,renewal fee is a huge cost.

•••
•••
I would expect to earn anywhere from 27.7$ to 62.5$ per month with 1 $1000 name.

Then, if necessary, I'd have enough money each month to buy anywhere from three to six $10 names per month, acquiring up to 72 names before renewal comes along. With one of those 72 being sold, I'm sure I could cover renewal (and more) of the remaining 72 names, and still be earning 27.7$ - 62.5$/month holding a portfolio of 72 names. Additionally, after collecting $1100 in revenue on my $1000 name, I would have made more with that domain than the average stock market rate. I'd pocket that money, keep pocketing it, or even sell it for $1000 or more.

Just my way of thinking.

tl;dr 100 $10 names is a greater gamble than 1 $1000 name if you know what you're doing (PS, it gives you even more time to research and find the greatest 3-6 names possible for an even better return each month... with the option of constant stability)

Last edited:
•••
If you are that good at researching names, I think you have already answered your question yourself.

100 $10 names.
I agree with this ^

You already found something that works for you and is making you money, so scale it up. Unless you've gotten to the point where you can no longer find names to register in line with what you've already been doing, this is probably the best play.

Personally I'd be more comfortable with 10 $100 domains or one $1,000 domain because I've had more success in that range, and this model has lower carrying costs and less headaches to manage. But what is right for me isn't necessarily right for you.

That's not to say you shouldn't try new approaches and experiment, maybe you find even more success in the $100 range than you do with hand registrations. But in general I would start by scaling what you've already done well with until you run out of ideas or have so much revenue coming in that you can't invest it fast enough in hand registrations.

Maybe spend half on higher value names to test the waters, and spend the other half on hand regs?

•••
Realistically I would buy 1 $500 domain, 3 $100 domains, and 10 $20 domains.

I would make my investment back (and profit) with the 10 $20 domains, and leave the rest for long-term holds targeted specifically for inbound inquiries.

Then keep repeating the process.

•••
I think that you should invest a part on handregs and other in buying domains..Best of both worlds.

•••
While investing a lot of money on just one name may seem risky, registering hundreds of low-quality names which will never sell can actually turn out to be far more costly after a few renewal cycles.

•••
Depends on the names and what I was going to do with them.

•••
Focus on buying bargains - whether it is $10 name or $100 name or a $1000 name.

No point in buying a $1000 name if it is valued at $500.

This should be your core focus.

•••
Learn to do the same with $100 names as you currently do with $10 names and then scale up.

•••
I would probably go for 5 $20 names some cheap backorders or closeouts

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back