Dynadot

discuss What would happen to our domaining business, if the awaited global economy crisis hits tomorrow?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
I guess at least some domainers are asking themselves this question. Crisis coming? (about everybody says yes, many says 2020, but anyway...) And if it does, what would happen? How can we go through this best?

Perhaps the ones that are in the business for long know more (been through 2007 years), but newer ones don't. I know how it went for my business back then (tough) but don't know about domaining field.

So what would happen?

- Would the .COMs retain the same value? Or decrease - by how much?

- Will the percentage of sales decrease? How much?

- Will we have to trim down our portfolio and keep only important ones, for reasons of being able to financially sustain renewal costs?

- And a side question (crypto): Will the decline of bitcoin pricing, will it impact crypto domain sales a lot?

( I'm thinking there is a possibility that all the crypto trend might reverse soon. It's a side question but a niche that will definitely be impacted by a global crisis, question is how/how much. I believe people will have to sell out some stock to cover living costs and therefore this can throw bitcoin price to the ground in such a case. Just speculating for now. )

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unfortunately we need someone been through the 1929 Great Depression :(
After the great depression corporations were banned I don't see a repeat of that ever happening.

•••
After the great depression corporations were banned I don't see a repeat of that ever happening.

That indeed, but it's always a different angle. 2007-2008 has been an entirely new thing.

•••
There is a civil war at the top of US. Trump v.s. deep state. I don't mean republicans v.s. democrats, or right v.s left. And Trump side is supported by the east, while the deep state is in war with the east. The east is trying to collapse the deep state without collapsing the west. If Trump is removed, you can expect any kind of nasty things to happen.

•••
There is a civil war at the top of US. Trump v.s. deep state. I don't mean republicans v.s. democrats, or right v.s left. And Trump side is supported by the east, while the deep state is in war with the east. The east is trying to collapse the deep state without collapsing the west. If Trump is removed, you can expect any kind of nasty things to happen.

x doesn't care who is the government in charge, all x cares is to have control over the monetary system. rest will be according to whatever x wants.

•••
x doesn't care who is the government in charge, all x cares is to have control over the monetary system. rest will be according to whatever x wants.

Partially agree. If this was the only motivation, Russia would nuke US, and steal the gold in Philippines, and make everyone slaves. It would be an easy job.

•••
Partially agree. If this was the only motivation, Russia would nuke US, and steal the gold in Philippines, and make everyone slaves. It would be an easy job.

x doesn't want monetary control to get more rich, x wants it to control zombie people like us who is running for that worth less money that x can print. Its because x has an agenda and x needs control over sheeps [ us ] until x gets to the agenda.

Last edited:
•••
An old Chinese saying says something like this: "Crisis means change screaming to occur."

•••
According to my belief it is always known that when you run a corrupt system its gonna fall. Changes or so called revolution will happen no matter what. So a planned change happens by x and sheeps fight thinking they are fighting for a greater cause and after sheeps get results they hand over that result back to the same system who just put a new face. In short sheeps fight for the same agenda planned by their oppressors.

Last edited:
•••
Now it's gone all political....

I hereby launch an official request, as OP, to get back on topic - as political discussion will be going on forever. :xf.smile:

Side comment:

The boom and bust cycles are all driven by greed at all levels, not just at top level. Those many who get more debt that they can carry are equally guilty to those who recklessly loan them money.

So regardless of who is / will be in charge, everyone in the system (ordinary people getting loans; banks; etc) will always push it until defaults start, confidence plummets and everything starts over. Changing the governments will not eliminate greed (or want too much than you can afford, if the word seems not the right one). They have the ability though to control this and they don't do much, if at al, primarily because it is far easier politically to sustain reckless "growth" (inflation) than to introduce constraints and cost cuts etc.

Once again, please let's think about our portfolio and how investment and sales would look in such an (very likely) event. Shall we put politics aside in this thread and focus on economical matters only, thank you.

Last edited:
•••
This time they fail. WW1 was made for land and resources. WW2 was about military power and gold. They realized that, once they have power and gold they can control everything. So instead of attacking Turkey or China they attacked the top opposing military force: Soviets. Purpose of stealing gold, was not creating a gold backed system, instead they tried to prevent others from doing it. They owned the west already, they also wanted the east, or at least make it weak or a puppet... (after 1944) Most of the gold (maybe more than 90 percent) is owned by the world, not by people, or countries, or elites. Elites controlled that gold by owning enough number of countries, so they had enough vote. Gold didn't move, but was used to print money. This is the logical story I invent by combining lots of isolated stories and facts. Good guys were not powerful enough in the west, for example they killed JFK "to correct his mistakes". They won't be able to do the same to Trump.
Edit: actually they attacked China, in Japanese uniforms. But in China their main purpose was robbery. US purchased part of China's gold and paid by paper (bonds) in 1930's. Almost at the same time, gold owned by Americans were replaced by paper (and that paper was devalued 40 percent immediately afterwards) by making the artificial crisis an excuse.

Last edited:
•••
And 2008 crisis, why did it happen. The west pushed hard on derivatives, and China said I won't finance your such actions anymore. And you can guess they secured Russian military support just before this happened. And then the west made many wars and "earthquakes/tsunamis", which could lead to ww3, and Russia showed to the US army how weak they are , and US army decided to stop being puppet of the deep state, and negotiate with the east. With Trump good guys are more powerful now.

Last edited:
•••
Now it's gone all political....

I hereby launch an official request, as OP, to get back on topic - as political discussion will be going on forever. :xf.smile:

Side comment:

The boom and bust cycles are all driven by greed at all levels, not just at top level. Those many who get more debt that they can carry are equally guilty to those who recklessly loan them money.

So regardless of who is / will be in charge, everyone in the system (ordinary people getting loans; banks; etc) will always push it until defaults start, confidence plummets and everything starts over. Changing the governments will not eliminate greed (or want too much than you can afford, if the word seems not the right one). They have the ability though to control this and they don't do much, if at al, primarily because it is far easier politically to sustain reckless "growth" (inflation) than to introduce constraints and cost cuts etc.

Once again, please let's think about our portfolio and how investment and sales would look in such an (very likely) event. Shall we put politics aside in this thread and focus on economical matters only, thank you.

Next you are gonna say its getting religious lets get back to current matter [ which will be history just after a sec passes. ]

Finance is a part of our life just as politics or religion etc.. .

Here is what a president is saying:

Which is biblical, Khazars [ zionist not original jews ] will reclaim israel as their promised land. Now lets get back to finance before NP members stop bidding on my domains thinking i am crazy.

1. First Repo Market [ Federal Reserve] [ Distributors: Goldman sachs, J.P morgan, Citi ...]
2. Bond Market
3. Credit Swap market ( Fx Swap market ). [ Hedge funds, Financial institutes ]

Currently the financial disturbance is going on at the Credit Swap market after that is flood with new money its gonna go for the Bond market and then IMF [ International Monetary Fund ] will take some extreme measures which will make dollar super strong. Before and during that time stock market will go up and up & so the domain market.

Gave you exactly what you wanted :)

•••
If it happens.
Remember, I will always provide you with bread instead of beef, see my signature.;);)
Even if the world becomes dilapidated, it still needs people to pray for it.

Last edited:
•••
If it happens.
Remember, I will always provide you with bread instead of beef, see my signature.;);)
Even if the world becomes dilapidated, it still needs people to pray for it.
ahh, i have enough farmland would deal for gold or silver only, would need it later :)

•••
Currently the financial disturbance is going on at the Credit Swap market after that is flood with new money its gonna go for the Bond market and then IMF [ International Monetary Fund ] will take some extreme measures which will make dollar super strong. Before and during that time stock market will go up and up & so the domain market.

Gave you exactly what you wanted :)

Well, one thing is clear, we aren't at the top of the bubble yet, when it eventually gets pierced.

There are signs for that, and one of the signs is VERY strong market confidence. Well that is mixed, there's both market confidence and a bit of market concern right now, which is a better mix.

There are, however, signs we are approaching the top, such as the inverted yield curve. Hopefully the top brass has learned something from 2007-2008 and they're going to act sooner and smarter. A correction is one thing, a zero-interest rate depression is another.

Also hope that a shaman like yourself knows their field well, and that domains will go up as you said, shall we all sing kumbaya! :xf.smile:

•••
There is some evidence when the economy struggled in the past that domain sales volume also struggled. However, it seemed there was a slight delay, with the low of economy almost a year prior to the low of the domain market. If that holds the next time, even if there is a major downtown in the economy in 2020 (not necessarily predicting that, just saying if), probably we would feel it more in 2021 in domains. Also it would not influence all the market the same, undoubtedly.

Highly leveraged domain investors would be those who most would be in trouble from a temporary downturn. Some on social media have already said that they will go on a buying spree if domain names are going at distressed prices.

Now separate from the overall downturn is the question whether if there was further trade conflict escalation, or worse, might that influence domain market? I could see it either as simply a worry, delaying upgrades in names, or as a change, for example, toward maybe more country code domains as trade becomes more isolationist, if that happens.

Social unrest, mentioned above, could also have effects that I think are more difficult to assess.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I believe that domains and domaining are going to be affected more by Technology than Economy in the long run.

As the matter of fact the World at large is going to be affected by AI and Automation more than anything else, and it's only through planning ahead that we can make sure that these effects are going to be for the better and not for the worse.

If the economy contracts it might cause a slowdown for big corporations and big companies, but at the lower levels people who need more money to support themselves might consider buying some low cost domains to start a small business for themselves.

Economical downturns or even global conflicts and Wars as bad and as devastating that they might be will not last forever (absent Nuclear Armageddon of course) but If we are not careful AI and Automation can disrupt life as we know it on a permanent basis.

We can't wait until things go bad in order to fix them we have to start taking some steps to make sure that advances in the Technology are going to serve Humanity and this Planet and to make life better for everyone across the board and not to lead to more inequality, poverty, oppression, and suppression.

Meanwhile we shouldn't forget about the effects that the Climate Change and all the problems with the Environment are going to have on the whole World, hopefully an AI that is a Force For Good might be able to help us get things under control.

I see the beginning of a perfect storm coming in the near future, people have to wake up and come out of the trance that they are in, they need to abandon their old mindsets, lifestyles, and habits and find common ground with each other over Universal principles that are arrived at through logic and compassion in order to ascend to a higher level of existence that can help protect Humanity and this Planet from all the turbulence that is going to be ahead for the World.

If you want to save your domains you might have to save the World first. ;)

IMO

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
To minime side effects (and something will be announced, crisis, or something currency-related) one would probably want to renew the best domains in advance, at least +2 or +3 years. As for other domains (routine), it should be safe to renew all domains expiring in the next 5-6 months (+1 year). And to maintain this scheme monthly. Not waiting until the last moment...

•••
How can we go through this best?

Quality over quantity. Having a small portfolio with higher-quality names that have a higher sell-through rate is important unless you would like your profits to be eaten by renewal fees.

Don't shoot for the moon. If you can sell a domain for a nice profit, move it so you can re-invest or take the money off the table if you need it.

•••
I guess at least some domainers are asking themselves this question. Crisis coming? (about everybody says yes, many says 2020, but anyway...) And if it does, what would happen? How can we go through this best?

Perhaps the ones that are in the business for long know more (been through 2007 years), but newer ones don't. I know how it went for my business back then (tough) but don't know about domaining field.

So what would happen?

- Would the .COMs retain the same value? Or decrease - by how much?

- Will the percentage of sales decrease? How much?

- Will we have to trim down our portfolio and keep only important ones, for reasons of being able to financially sustain renewal costs?

- And a side question (crypto): Will the decline of bitcoin pricing, will it impact crypto domain sales a lot?

( I'm thinking there is a possibility that all the crypto trend might reverse soon. It's a side question but a niche that will definitely be impacted by a global crisis, question is how/how much. I believe people will have to sell out some stock to cover living costs and therefore this can throw bitcoin price to the ground in such a case. Just speculating for now. )

Thanks!

I think this is why you diversify. I hold domains, but I also hold gold, crypto, shares, bonds and cash. All you can do is spread risk.

If things really get bad, the only assets of any value will be food and antibiotics. But if we get to that stage I don't think I'll have much time to worry about my domains.

•••
I have to speak loud now. Its not recession we are seeing we are witnessing a currency reset [ World super power handover ] which always ends up with inevitable WAR.

Now:

Next:

Result:

•••
I recall that most of 2009 was really slow - like almost no domain sales until October. Then in 2010 sales exploded as I suppose confidence in the economy was somewhat restored.

•••

Next [ Which is bigger scam ] :

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back