IT.COM

What will the the value of 3 letter/number .com, .net, & .org in the future?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jamminsport16

VISIT FREEZINDA.COMVIP Member
Impact
Well lets see here:

Over the last 20 years:
All 2 letter .com,.net,&.org have been taken. (worth thousands)
All 3 letter .com,.net,&.org have been taken (worth high $xxx and thousands)
All 3 letter/number .com have been taken (mid $xx to $xxx)

Soon:
3 letter/number .net will be taken
3 letter/number .org wiill be taken
4 letter .com will become rare/taken

What will the the value of those in 10 years?
Just imagine, over the last 5 years the amount of people wanting those domains have increased so much. I believe this is the investment & not land or real estate.

My only question is that there is a major dilema. About 5-10 years ago there was only .com, org., & .net. Now ICANN just passed a proposal accepting 10 more such as: .jobs, .travel, .xxx, etc. Isn't this going to hurt .com & .net? There are way too many now.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
jamminsport16 said:
How much were 3 letter (not #) .com a year ago?
Not much different overall than they are right now. What's the point?

Or was that a rhetorical question?

By the way, domains like "y1r.com" and "z7j.com" are 3 character, not 3 letter.

•••
yeah so i asked 3 letter. now 3 letter .com are worth thousands how much were they worth a year ago?

•••
And the answer is still....

Not much different overall than they are right now.

Again, what's the point? You act like 3 letter .com's just suddenly became valuable within the last year. They were valuable last year, the year before, the year before (.etc) and have remained solid overall.

•••
well they werent valuable 5 years ago when u could still register them =]

•••
Does that mean I should be holding onto my azcm.com domain? I was very seriously thinking of letting it drop. I liked the AZ since I live in Arizona and thought I would develop something with the last two letters (construction manual, consumer magazine, christian ministries, children movies, etc. on and on). I never found the time. I'd love to get my $60 backorder fee refunded. I only bought it because I had credits with SnapNames when they switched their policies around.

•••
Well I have no clue just to tell you. Probably in 5 years all the 4 letter .coms will be taken (sooner maybe - no clue) :/

•••
At one point about 3-4 years ago, if I recall right, all the 4-letter .coms were registered (and many of them by one particular person). The problem was that there were just too many 4-letter .com domains to keep registered and the "sell-out" didn't hold, and their values didn't increase. The person who had registered so many of the 4-letter .com names then let most of them drop.

If my math is right, there are 456,976 4-letter .coms and only 17,576 3-letter .coms and 676 2-letter .coms, and thus it is easy to see why it's about 26 times harder to keep the 4-letter .coms sold out (all regged) than for 3-letter .coms.

I do think they will all be taken one day, and perhaps soon. With the quick rise in 3-letter domains, it would only make sense that 4-letter domains could follow suit eventually.

And as a reference, a year ago 3-letter .coms were selling at a minimum wholesale of about $700 apeice. Today's minimum wholesale value for 3-letter .coms is about $1k+, about a 43% return in a years time.

Hope this helps.

:) Andrew

•••
Gene said:
I didn't say domains will be a thing of the past (although that very well may be also), I said domain names as we know them will be a thing of the past.

We all used to use DOS as our operating system with all the cumbersome commands, and Windows was born to create a friendly user interface that ran the commands automatically behind a mouse click. Technology will change so drastically in the next 10 years that domain names and web sites as we know them will be dinosaurs just as DOS is a dinosaur today. Heck, in 10 years we may not even be using keyboards as our primary method of data transfer. We'll have a much more portable, personal system of web access.

Gene

""When will the brain becoma a domain""" they are xpermenting right now with compute rchips being inserted into the body, these chips will be identified by ip address,
so maybe all one will have to do is touch a part of their body and whaaaaam
message sent,, search engines will be our thoughts tranmitted to the big computer in the sky..
ohh boy what a world this will be.

•••
harpo said:
""When will the brain becoma a domain""" they are xpermenting right now with compute rchips being inserted into the body, these chips will be identified by ip address,
so maybe all one will have to do is touch a part of their body and whaaaaam
message sent,, search engines will be our thoughts tranmitted to the big computer in the sky..
ohh boy what a world this will be.

Are you kidding, crazy, or ugh yeah..

•••
If I didn't misread things, seems something like 32,000 4 letter .coms were registered in last 24 hrs and around 60,000 in past week. So some serious action is happening.

•••
SharonTucci said:
If I didn't misread things, seems something like 32,000 4 letter .coms were registered in last 24 hrs and around 60,000 in past week. So some serious action is happening.

Wow, howd you come up with that again?

•••
Jammin, our company does daily checks on all 3/4 letter .com's domains available on a daily basis. Takes about 6 hours to run the 4 letter domain check on a daily basis on a dedicated server. The 4 letter domain report less q, x and z domains is available from our site (see my sig file). Anyhow, seeing from one day to the next how many available 4 letter dot coms there are and knowing (about) how many dropped makes it easy to figure out how many were registered.

And yeah, even aside from selling it, it is worth it for us. I had a sale of a 4 character domain that just completed last week to a large company for a VERY nice amount.

•••
cool what domain?
nice job =] must be a neat job

•••
pm'd it. no confidentiality agreement on it but dont like to advertise bigger private sales out of respect for buyers.

•••
=] ur one lucky person. congrats

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back