IT.COM

advice What to do if someone is marketing my domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

novadan5

Established Member
Impact
Hi, I recently bought a new domain and when I pointed it to DAN I realised someone else (with a large portfolio) has it listed so it pointed to their account. I changed the DNS back away from DAN so I could prove I own it. Any suggestions on what to do? Hopefully they will want to buy it back if they have invested a lot in it!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if he has a large portfolio,

he probably forgot.

Tell him or her.Usually these things clear easy

Last edited:
•••
Go to the ownership settings in your dan.com account, it'll give you to option to enable automated domain ownership verification.

That will give you a third nameserver.

Change your nameservers to:
Ns1.dan.com
Ns2.dan.com
Your third nameserver.

Wait a couple of minutes, now add your domain to your Dan portfolio. They will remove it from the other user and move it to your account automatically.

Last edited:
•••
Go to the ownership settings in your dan.com account, it'll give you to option to enable automated domain ownership verification.

That will give you a third nameserver.

Change your nameservers to:
Ns1.dan.com
Ns2.dan.com
Your third nameserver.

Wait a couple of minutes, now add your domain to your Dan portfolio. They will remove it from the other owner and move it to your account automatically.
That’s really helpful, that you very much.

•••
That’s really helpful, that you very much.

Sometimes it can take a bit longer as on a DNS change it may take some time to propagate globally. If it fails to move the domain to your account, just try adding the domain again the next day or so.

•••
While you're panicing they only just deleted it as they don't care.

Last edited:
•••
Many decent domains get recycled between domain investors each which hold it a few years but then eventually drop it as they realize it is only a mediocre domain which might sell for $xxx some day but could also end up generating renewals for years with no sale.

•••
Happens all the time. Domainers with large portfolios may only Purge their listings every month or so.

Hopefully they will want to buy it back if they have invested a lot in it!

That is very wishful thinking. with literally no-chance of happening. They are probably just annoyed that they registered it in the first place. Renewal costs are basically seen as wasted money (but necessary) by most of us. Dropping domains. even after 5 - 10 or even 15 years is often just a delayed but right decision

•••
if he has a large portfolio,

he probably forgot.

Tell him or her.Usually these things clear easy
some domainers don't care... or never delete their old listings for some reason (if the domain has expired and dropped its still showing as a Premium on Dan and Godaddy).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back