NameSilo

discuss What should you expect from your DN broker?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
So you’ve decided to sell your domain name and also decided to employ the services of a Domain Name Broker.

What are your expectations or what should you expect a good Domain Name Broker to do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The overall goal is to: get a higher price than you are able to.

Further he should:

Represent you in a professional and curteous manner.

Know how much he can ask from the prospects.

Push on price until you can not push anymore.

Depending on the name and agreement:

Identify relevant end users.

Identify and contact decision makers.

•••
•••
i think

a good broker should seek out good names that are listed for sale and go find some potential buyers for those names, before contacting the owners.

seeing how even the wannabee's want 20% commission

imo....

•••
•••
I'm trying to figure out the relationship between broker and lobbyist, consultant, agent and mediator ... (domain name aftermarket). All is mixed up.

Last edited:
•••
Dont focus on low hanging fruit -Most brokers that contact me about my port want to cherry pick the one word .com or 4 letter names. Mainly the domains that get the most interest in offers each month. It would be nice to get some attention to the names that are still good but not obvious easy sales. Show me that you care about all my children not just the gifted ones.
A good broker should be able to sell any name even if its part of a bulk sale. I understand its not worth making commission on a $500 name but if you can sell 50 of them at $250 each that $12,500

visibile promotion - I do expect to see emails, tweets and posts going out about my names after an agreement is reached.

follow up- Even if you havent sold anything or received an offer check in every 3 months or so.
Even if its to say- Hey I have sent out your list of names to my network but have not received any interest yet.
Hoping to see some interest after the next push I do

Results - send me an email when you do sell a name (from any of your clients) and if you have not sold one of my names or at least received a few offers within 6 months to a year I would probably not do business with you again.

Correct Valuation - If I want to sell smartdrones.com for 250k dont say there has not been any comparable drone sales over $20k. if you look at smartglasses.com and look for comparable glasses sales they dont go over 100k yet smartglasses.com sold for almost $2 million. The correct valuation focus is on "smart" not glasses or drones.

•••
Thank you @toughdomains ! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience!

•••
Still looking for more input.
What should you expect from your DN broker?

•••
I think something that many brokers ignore is some sort of feedback.

Often we are left in the dark until there is an actual sale. I don't want to mention any names here but when the brokers insist on exclusivity on the domain (up to 3 months) then the very least they can do is give you some sort of monthly feedback or report. Doesn't have to be detailed...just a few lines to let us know that the domain is being promoted. I have this experience with one of the top brokerage firms in the industry... zero feedback, just have to wait and hope that the domain sells during their exclusivity period. The onus should not be on ME to follow up. Feedback should be provided as courtesy to the client.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back