IT.COM

What registrars are known or suspected of DN Frontrunning?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hello,
I was just using a well known registrar to check out some domains in a specific niche. I've learned recently that it's best to "hold off" on hand registering domains until a registrar offers some deep deep discount sale of $1.99 or less.

that being said. part of me suspects that some registrars will "frontrun" what their customers search for and then offer it on the back end as suggestions to their other customers. Does anyone know for sure which ones are doing this still? I remember hearing Godaddy was caught out there doing this. Could Godaddy still be doing this using data from their resellers? any other registrars that were caught out there?

Discuss? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If the registrars are not doing it, I'm fairly certain that some of their employees are. What is your concern though? If you like a domain just register it. The $9 difference isn't worth the risk in my opinion. That hand reg domain will probably be gone by the time the registrar offers their discount.

•••
If the registrars are not doing it, I'm fairly certain that some of their employees are. What is your concern though? If you like a domain just register it. The $9 difference isn't worth the risk in my opinion. That hand reg domain will probably be gone by the time the registrar offers their discount.
yea true but I'm not talking about one or two domains.

see from what I'd read. people frequent certain websites that show them exactly what's being registered daily so if I register bunch of domains or just the ones I can afford. scavengers will get "wind" of this "niche" I found with no competition right now in an fairly emerging keyword trend. they they jump on whatever is left.

That's the "fear"

•••
If you found it then chances are someone else did too. I think too many people look at domains every day, to have a major corporation pinpoint your non regs and actively send them to the evil group of customers that have secret partnerships with them. Think about it. if i go personally and test out 40 hand regs, how many other do u think happen in between each of the 40? 1000? 10,000. I think they are more worried about the dropped domans that receive high traffic.

Could you imagine what it would be like to sift through a domain name list send daily from godaddy on all the domain names that people didnt register?

I think the 15gig limit on godaddy would be reached on text alone.

Think of the bandwidth costs from godaddy to try to disypher what domain was good or not.

Look at your account number, and know that each one of those numbers has a combination of people...

Also im sure there are bots that try to hardcrack domains. thats probably abother 50 thousand domains a day to email out. Searching a domain will not hurt you. However what will hurt you is trying to be that big of an ego where as you try to blame a lost domin on the fact that you were so smart to discover a popular niche - godaddy sold your info, than 1 of the millions of people who sell domain names, also just searched a domain.

Lets break it down - In order to be a popular niche, people need to be searching for those domains. - If zero domains have ever been sold in a niche, then it is not a niche, because you need there to be a community behind a niche.

I hope none of this comes off blunt i dont mean it to be. just trying to paint a picture here.

Lastly if you even read this far. -

If your domains are valuable enough for godaddy to recognize and sell to its iluminati club - you need to caugh up the $8.45 for these names cause even at 12 names for 100 - you will be able to sell one for 10k

Sure they might market an expired 3l.com - but they are not going to bother with any two word keywords ill tell you that much.

•••
Yes it happens just look around on the forum for people discussing cases. Some registrars are known to sell lists of searches, and Network Solutions were known to register searched domains and hold them for a few days for sale at $39.99. Others have found GD offering them just-dropped domains at huge prices when they can register them elsewhere for reg fee.

Bottom line is, do not use a registrar to search for domains - there are at least two threads on here telling you how to do a whois search without going through a registrar or any other intermediary.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back