Dynadot

poll What personality type would make a great domainer?

NameSilo
Watch

What kind of personality would make the best domainer in long run?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • The Researcher - Reads and researches well

votes
    61.7%
  • The Salesman - With amazing salesmanship

votes
    36.7%
  • The Industry expert - Knows an industry like insurance, web3 etc

votes
    18.3%
  • The Reader - Someone updated with latest trends

votes
    43.3%
  • The Networker 1 - Someone with great network inside domaining

votes
    11.7%
  • The Networker 2 - Someone with great network in organizations

votes
    16.7%
  • Others. Please comment.

votes
    8.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
What kind of personality type would make a great domainer in the long run?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A great Domainer don't post nonsense threads and wasting people time.

•••
You need a little of everything.

Brad

•••
There are only two types of domainers.
Those who get it and those who don't.

Some people get it in a couple years, some take 3-4 years, but once they get it, they get it.

Some newbies don't get it, but it is only a matter of time if they are the type who will get it.

But then there are some who never get it. Even after years in the industry. Due to law of large numbers, and luck, they make a sale here and there, and with a lottery sale, they might even be in the green, but you will clearly see that they never got it, and never will, because they don't listen, learn, usually spread negativity, preach a lot, and have a portfolio full of duds..

Don't be disheartened. There are hundreds of domainers in the first category. You just need to keep learning. It is no rocket science. But it is like riding a bicycle. Once you get it, you will get it.

And once you get it, it is only a matter of scaling.

•••
•••
Very good post mate. One of my favourites. All I would like to add is " getting it " means to me that you understand there are multiple ways to monetise a domain name and you master at least one of them. Some people sell domains, other people lease domains, still others park domains, and a percentage also develop domains. It really makes not a difference which one you choose in the end so long as you master it to a point of being totally unreasonable and profitable. I choose developing domain names. Main reason because I tried selling and didn't have much success ( three sales total $ 1100 ). But I refused to accept defeat. I refused to accept the status quo. I refused to be dissuaded by all the people who tried to say developing isn't domaining or that developing is too difficult or takes to much time. I found the solutions through making a large amount of mistakes. I made time by dropping unproductive activities like gaming, television, parties with people I don't know, stopped saying yes to people who wanted things they can do on their own. I refused to be another money-losing sucker to the registrars because that's what most people are unfortunately. I think logical stubbornness is a major personality trait for a successful domainer.

If I were you I would move away from the domain development or domain first mindset.

Think about it?
Would you spend your time and resources (being that you have limited of both) on a website/niche that will give you the best value of your time, or would you spend the time on a project because you happen to have a domain name in that Niche.

That is the difference between domain first approach and a Niche first approach.

Your main criteria should be:
Do I have the skills or access to resources to create content better than those are in the top 10 serp in this niche?
Do I have the skills or access to other traffic sources that will convert profitably in this niche?
What kind of links do the top 10 competitors in this Niche have and can I acquire similar or better links?
Will I be able to be an authority in this Niche?
Will I get bored of this Niche (very important)
Is there money in niche.

Is there a better Niche where I would rather spend my limited time and resources on etc

When you start with a Domain, you don't check any of the boxes above and are set up to Not to succeed, most of the time. You will also be too invested in the domain and start to think you can do it. Not that you won't make any money, but then it depends on how you value your time.

Last edited:
•••
Agreed on Asperger's, bipolar is probably also a help.

But above all: laziness!

•••
consistency
Obsession
Simple things repeated consistently ( checking sold domain names every day )
Detail oriented ( noticing features of a domain name which consistently sell )
Restraint ( not registering the majority of impulse buys )
Long-term thinking ( would you register this domain name for ten years ? )
Meticulous ( time management, project management, careful administration)
Lone-wolf attitude ( observe everyone else from afar and make your own decisions )

•••
The Entrepreneur. Spots investment opportunities and takes action.

•••
Thinker-Auguste-Rodin-Museum-Paris-1904.jpg

•••
•••
consistency.
Time
Creativity
Reading Ability (Fast reader)
Control to is urge to register useless names to waste money(thinking they are worth millions)
Self Evaluation ability
Luck
Better network with mentors

•••
Last edited:
•••
A great Domainer don't post nonsense threads and wasting people time.
Wise words indeed @johnn. Although to play devil's advocate a great domainer doesn't reply to nonsense posts that waste people's time. I think it's a valid question from @abstractdomainer and I think obessive compulsive disorder is one of the best personality traits a domainer can have. But while a preoccupation with order and perfectionism often gets results it doesn't normally win you many friends.

•••
Ignoring the negativity, once again!

Well put!

Why do you say that? Isn't it a game of educated bets, probabilities and patience?
Actually always falls on deaf ears create another thread rather than add to one. Have the forum as everyone has left it to you.

Last edited:
•••
A researcher with loads of money to experiment.

•••
A person with true multiple personalizes could rule the industry lol .. it takes being extremely versatile and independent to have some success IMO

•••
•••
I really llike this guy on np..alcy I think was his nick. he always shoots it straight up. thats why many dont like it.. cause they is all lamers who cant handle truth

•••
If you play to your strengths, you can succeed with most of these personalities. For example, let's say you're only good in sales and talking to people - you can broker other people's domains, without having any of your own.

•••
Holding and patience... remember the story of the guy who bought two pizzas for 10 000 Bitcoins?

•••
•••
I choose others.

My submission is “crazy gambler”

•••
•••
I think the world is a crazy nut house and we are all patients. You'll see when you arrive at what you think is the end. But it isn't the end. It's not the beginning either. You'll see. Trust me, I haven't been there according to my memory. What is memory? Can memory be implanted?

Lol deep very deep. Happy New Year buddy!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back