Dynadot

question What makes .co sell?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Do .co domains really sell, or are they all fake sales? Not all, at least we know Abdulbasit sold a 3 letter .co for near 10K (and he pretends it was cheap), my similar sales (LLL.co of equal quality) were in 2 figures only. and chinese non-premiums (but western ok) were not even sellable in 2 figures (someone promised to buy but it remained as promise only, because domains were not at Godaddy).

I wonder what makes .co domains sell. It is not .com, it is .co.

How do you convince a potential buyer to buy your .co ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am not sure about the .co pricing per se (I guess you'll get nine to 25 times less than clients might be willing to fork out for a dot com equivalent), but I would like to disagree with those of you who stated that customers might accidentally type in .com just because they are used to the original and most famous extension.

Correction: technically they might, once or twice, but once they don't recognise your site, they will simply check or double check until they find the site they were looking for. Websites don't look similar ever since the 90s, and they certainly don't have matching content/features/graphics/videos/products (unless a .com site is purposefully trying to steal your clients; unlikely).

It's pretty much the same when an average user/customer mistypes a pre-dot part of your/any domain. Without thinking twice, they simply correct their mistake. Plus it is very improbable they will mistype things over and over, costing you views or revenue just because they might end up giving in and/or staying at the (wrong) .com site instead. Not likely, IMHO.

I mean, technically (once again), they might ... but they might as well accidentally go to their local McDonald's instead of making it to their medical doctor for their yearly health check up. Certain people do certain things and .co vs. .com won't affect their ability to make or avoid beyond-average mistakes. With 99+ percent of people, you will not lose your money.

If .co domains were completely new, fair enough. They are not, plus people are getting used to .all .sorts .of .ridiculous .extensions .these .days; you'll be fine.

Statistically, this is not a biggie.

Now get those meta tags cleaned up instead, or go to a McDonald's, remove your outer clothes (please keep your underwear on) and ask the grinning employees if they want you to cough for them. For extra effect grab one of those movable card terminals and look surprised about how advanced stethoscopes are these modern days. (Just don't cough too much, and don't remove your face mask; COVID-19 and stuff, you might end up beaten up instead of being laughed at.)

•••
The LLL market is too complex in good extensions to accurately make this statement. THis is an oversimplification. LLL market is not this black or white, sorry.

100-200 is the max random LLL sell on wholesale market. And they also get dropped everyday. There are 175 LLLs in the expired domains database for 2020.

I am talking about RANDOM LLL which can't be pronounced or the abbreviation is not popular (like no of related domains taken, Linkedin and open corporate match etc). If they have a potential demand based on those data, then it is not random,.

•••
Do .co domains really sell
Yes, for sure. Over last five years NameBio show 4342 sales with an average price of $1289.

are they all fake sales?
No definitely not. NameBio requires reporting by aa reputable source, like Sedo, or individual verification off sale details.

Why do they sell? I think it is in most cases (beyond the obvious one of use in Colombia!) it is because they want a specific word or term and the .com is either not available or not at a price they can consider.

Numerous studies have shown that the rate of adoption of .co and .io by startups is significantly higher than say .net or .org, and that relative to .com use is growing year by year. I think startups increasingly are favouring short names, and are going to less common words, or other extensions such as .co and .io, to get that. Will that change? We don't know.

Re random 3L or 4L combinations, I think these are not always good investments. But combinations with meaning in important sectors would be. But I still think single words, or in certain sectors two words, are in general better choices in .co. At least that is how I read the sales record. I have not done a detailed analysis, so might be wrong.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
100-200 is the max random LLL sell on wholesale market.
Ok, but thats not a bad thing, as you said, thats reseller market...that suggests the ROI for LLL.co sales is higher than ROI for LLL.com sales, but LLL.com sales bring in more money period. Good LLL.cos above are surely selling for more than $200 on reseller market, for eg triple premium LLL.co.
upload_2020-10-11_13-18-32.png

And they also get dropped everyday. There are 175 LLLs in the expired domains database for 2020.
175 out of 17,546 total LLL.co is VERY SMALL, so they are outliers, which dont reflect the true market ....and the crappiest LLLs always get droppe and tossed around like the junk they are...that says nothing about hte good letter combos. once again, generalizing LLLs only shows lack of deep knowledge of this market.

I am talking about RANDOM LLL which can't be pronounced or the abbreviation is not popular (like no of related domains taken, Linkedin and open corporate match etc). If they have a potential demand based on those data, then it is not random,.
They still have value, and sorry, but once again, saying random LLL in a good/selling extension dont have much value only exposes the lack of knowledge of that market, because its a big generalization that doesnt prove correct for end user sales. LLL.co are selling to end users for $1500 - $7K so for names that are bought for $50- $200, thats still a good market.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, but thats not a bad thing, as you said, thats reseller market...that suggests the ROI for LLL.co sales is higher than ROI for LLL.com sales, but LLL.com sales bring in more money period. Good LLL.cos above are surely selling for more than $200 on reseller market, for eg triple premium LLL.co.
Show attachment 169797

175 out of 17,546 total LLL.co is VERY SMALL, so they are outliers, which dont reflect the true market ....and the crappiest LLLs always get droppe and tossed around like the junk they are...that says nothing about hte good letter combos. once again, generalizing LLLs only shows lack of deep knowledge of this market.

They still have value, and sorry, but once again, saying random LLL in a good/selling extension dont have much value only exposes the lack of knowledge of that market, because its a big generalization that doesnt prove correct for end user sales. LLL.co are selling to end users for $1500 - $7K so for names that are bought for $50- $200, thats still a good market.

I don't get your point at all.
I think either you or I am misinterpreting the word "Random"
When I say random, I didn't mean you pick any LLL at random, random.
When i say random, I mean the crappy ones.
"the crappiest LLLs always get droppep and tossed around like the junk they are"
And not all LLLs in the expired yard are carp. There still are some gold in the expired stream. Only thing is the registry premium don't make them feasible as investment

Never said every LLL.Co's bad investments
But then they are just like any other good names
I still don't understand what our disagreement is..

When I compared random LLL.co and LLL.com I meant the worst LLL.com will fetch a modest 5 figure while the worst LLLs only sell for around $100 here at wholesale

Because there are only so many good .coms left and they are super expensive.
The question should not why a .co would sell when a .com is available.
When .com is not available, then what?
And good dot com's aren't available

Would would rather own Car.co or TopdomsCar.com

And lot's of .co sales happening all the time.
You like everyone said, you need to be able to pick really good .co usually single words, not some random LLL or LLLL
Random LLL.co whole sale price is 100 usd
Random LLL.com will sell for 30-40K at wholesale

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back