IT.COM

question What makes .co sell?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Do .co domains really sell, or are they all fake sales? Not all, at least we know Abdulbasit sold a 3 letter .co for near 10K (and he pretends it was cheap), my similar sales (LLL.co of equal quality) were in 2 figures only. and chinese non-premiums (but western ok) were not even sellable in 2 figures (someone promised to buy but it remained as promise only, because domains were not at Godaddy).

I wonder what makes .co domains sell. It is not .com, it is .co.

How do you convince a potential buyer to buy your .co ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can Say It's Short CUT of COM.
co + m => It's Short and Easy to Type. It is Short then com that is the main reason i think.... I am Newbie in Domain Flipping I think that's the reason or anybody else can share their Reasons. Co and Com are Same to Speak but co is Short.

•••
You can Say It's Short CUT of COM.
co + m => It's Short and Easy to Type. It is Short then com that is the main reason i think.... I am Newbie in Domain Flipping I think that's the reason or anybody else can share their Reasons. Co and Com are Same to Speak but co is Short.

All ccTLD's are short so I don't think your theory applies here.

Fact is.... You cannot get the com then you look for something else but you secretly yearn for the .com

•••
All ccTLD's are short so I don't think your theory applies here.

Fact is.... You cannot get the com then you look for something else but you secretly yearn for the .com
Other ccTLDs are Different co is only who Looks Like com

Any Other TLDs .in .us .cc etc.. Not Look like co this is only one Difference in Co and COM.... Com have m in the End Just this makes it sell

•••
Not Look like co this is only one Difference in Co and COM.... Com have m in the End Just this makes it sell

Personally that is exactly why I would never run my business on a .co, it is too close to a .com and some customers are bound to mix it up.

I would go for something different, but that depends on what type of business it is and where it does commerce.
If its local a ccTLD is a great choice, tech maybe io etc.

But .co could be harmful to the business especially if you start losing email because someone inadvertently types in .com

Now from a domainers point of view sure .co is great, as a businessman I would personally not use it.

Last edited:
•••
Personally that is exactly why I would never run my business on a .co, it is too close to a .com and some customers are bound to mix it up.

I would go for something different, but that depends on what type of business it is and where it does commerce.

But .co could be harmful to the business especially if you start losing email because someone inadvertently types in .com

Now from a domainers point of view sure .co is great, as a businessman I would personally not use it.
You Are All Correct :)

•••
Tell them .co is best alternative to .com as a short for "company" and that .co can also mean "corporate" (which is an advantage over .com)

That being said I never had a .co sale I dont have many of them and to be honest I dont have trust in this extension. I prefer to stick with .com as my main investment.

Last edited:
•••
Do .co domains really sell, or are they all fake sales? Not all, at least we know Abdulbasit sold a 3 letter .co for near 10K (and he pretends it was cheap), my similar sales (LLL.co of equal quality) were in 2 figures only. and chinese non-premiums (but western ok) were not even sellable in 2 figures (someone promised to buy but it remained as promise only, because domains were not at Godaddy).

I own maybe 4 .co, so I am not an expert on this extension at all. But I am selling domains since 2003. You dont have to convince a buyer to buy your domain. You have to choose good names and wait for the enduser. They will come to you because they want that name. This how the high sales happen. It takes time but every time an enduser come to knock your door you are the stronger party in the negotiation. You dont need to convince anyone as they already decided what they want. If you are flipping your names it is a totally different thing, other domainers can give an advice on this as I am not good at this...

•••
...You have to choose good names and wait for the enduser. They will come to you because they want that name. .

this is the point.
-are .co names good.
-why will endusers want that name, why not want .net, .biz, .site, .top and insist on .co.

I think registrars play a major role in this. Maybe they say, .com is taken, but .co is available (after a search by an enduser).

•••
Tell them .co is best alternative to .com as a short for "company" and that .co can also mean "corporate" (which is an advantage over .com)

And they would say "you are lying, .co represents Colombia".

•••
YOu're asking a why question when the relevant thing is the What...it sells.

•••
And they would say "you are lying, .co represents Colombia".

I'm still grappling with that for all the extensions like .co .io .to etc.
I don't think I would use a ccTLD for my business unless it was for my own country.

I know in canada someone is marketing .to for all canadians living in Toronto
https://register.to/

Somehow that site kinda gives me a 1980's flashback :yuck:

Last edited:
•••
this is the point.
-are .co names good.
-why will endusers want that name, why not want .net, .biz, .site, .top and insist on .co.

I think registrars play a major role in this. Maybe they say, .com is taken, but .co is available (after a search by an enduser).

They sell good. I dont like them, I prefer a dot net. And yes I am European so I know a lot about cctlds. Said this I bought a few and since people like them I will give a try. But I will not put too much of them in my portfolio because yes is the cctld of Colombia. I am old school but I think sometimes better don't think as a Domainer and buy what people like and try to make some more money. Lol...

•••
You dont have to convince a buyer to buy your domain. You have to choose good names and wait for the enduser. They will come to you because they want that name. This how the high sales happen. It takes time but every time an enduser come to knock your door you are the stronger party in the negotiation. You dont need to convince anyone as they already decided what they want.
Perhaps the wisest words in domaining!! Rick Schwartz and many such big players espouse this same philosophy!!

•••

I find .co and .io cool tld's. Maybe because of angel.co that image has stuck.. But I'll definitely say these 2 have eaten up some market of .net
Although a disclaimer: I haven't sold any .co.. have had a couple of offers on VRvideos,co.. nothing beyond that!

•••

And that's why I think you are more a businessman, than a domainer. Even more, a businessman from Canada, involved in some certain niches, not in every industry. If you were a young startup owner, particulary from tech/fintech/biotech and a few other disruptive industries, you would have a different view. Even more, if you were a domainer who sold lot's of .co's for xxxx-xxxxx( even xxxxxx amounts, if I'm not mistaken), like @Nikul Sanghvi and others, you would think different. Off course, co doesn't have the same amplitude like com, but thinking more as a domainer, thinking about ROI and others, you could change your view or not. Even more, I think that you are more a domain collector, than a real life domainer, so your views could be different than that of a standard domainer.

Last edited:
•••
Because there are only so many good .coms left and they are super expensive.
The question should not why a .co would sell when a .com is available.
When .com is not available, then what?
And good dot com's aren't available

Would would rather own Car.co or TopdomsCar.com

And lot's of .co sales happening all the time.
You like everyone said, you need to be able to pick really good .co usually single words, not some random LLL or LLLL
Random LLL.co whole sale price is 100 usd
Random LLL.com will sell for 30-40K at wholesale

•••
No one wants CO domain names in China at all

•••
I've seen much of the cannabis industry went into .co for the simple fact that alot of .com were already scooped up. They may also have felt that having an offshore domain would be better. It actually became a "thing", that I didn't understand, which is why I didn't go that route myself, preferring .ca (for cannabis) when 420 became legal in Canada.

•••
I only invest in 1 word .co domains, not really a fan because of the higher price than the .com and worth less, the only nice thing is the way it sounds but I feel someone may put that extra m

•••
@DigitalRoar Yes exactly you want to look for just solid one word or phrase names that would be prime no matter what. Also if its a company like it has company in its name ive found good sales with that.

I have had a lot of .co names that seemed so prime and yet just no interest, though as user above noted cannabis has the most interest and crypto, though crypto is going to crap with the new tlds.

•••
•••
•••
Random LLL.co whole sale price is 100 usd
The LLL market is too complex in good extensions to accurately make this statement. THis is an oversimplification. LLL market is not this black or white, sorry.

•••
Sounds dubious. I bought a few but realised that it is not worth it.

Competing with king is kinda deluded.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back