IT.COM

What makes certain domain registrars better from the rest?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fillip Dahn

Impact
Upon choosing my domain registrar I've risen myself a question - what does it make a domain registrar better from the rest excluding the following factors:

- Price
- ICANN Accreditation (not a sub reseller)
- DNS zone inclusion
- WHOIS Privacy

Is there anything else I should consider before registering my domains? I guess security is the other thing, but it's almost borderline for today's standards methinks..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unlike other Internet-based products, domains don't really have a major reliability factor as long as you trust the domain registrar. The most important factor to consider is, in fact, the price.

Other than that, you can always check the registrar's policy on activating (the time it takes to activate), refunds (if any), transfer policies (even though they are almost the same for each registrar). The most important factor I consider for my own domain registrations is the time it takes to register certain domains, especially the ones which have just recently become available and are highly sought after by the competition.

All in all, I don't think that your website's or domain's overall performance will suffer at all if you get your domain from a cheaper unknown registrar.

•••
•••
#1 Has an active representative on namepros

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back