Watch

AboGamil

Senior Web DeveloperTop Member
Impact
hello everyone
why people here don't like handreg domains
especially buyers what is wrong about handreg names

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You are mistaken, the buyers don't have an issue with a new registered domain as long as it fits them, however these domain professionals like to analyze and seek history of a domain

•••
You are mistaken, the buyers don't have an issue with a new registered domain as long as it fits them, however these domain professionals like to analyze and seek history of a domain
i talk about some people here not like handreg befor he know the name if good or bad he dont need any handreg

•••
Yeah most people prefer that the domain is registered for some years, which I really don't see much effect even with all "back links" ...That is why I like SquadHelp ...its not based on such...Its based on the name it self

•••
All I'm saying is nothing is wrong with handreg ..I actually prefer it .... You are contributing more in a way ...

I peeped silly OLD domains trying to be sold as they are wanted ....it certainly is silly

•••
but don't take my word for it, I'm not a domain expert ...

Cheers

•••
I handregged namechief.com in 1991, my first ever domain. I sold it for $100, and quickly bought when I first offered it to sell.

It is now a domain registrar.

•••
If the domain is good, it hurts their pride that they didn't think of getting it first :)

•••
Hand registered yesteday TrafficReferral.com WebmasterReferral.com I am confident nothing is wrong with hand registering names as my entire portfolio is.

•••
Hand registered yesteday TrafficReferral.com WebmasterReferral.com I am confident nothing is wrong with hand registering names as my entire portfolio is.
very good names there is great names available for handreg

•••
If the domain is good, it hurts their pride that they didn't think of getting it first :)
it's depend on quality of name yes
but some buyer dont beleve in this they need only old domains what is the best of years in domain
they will make domain strong in search engine or some else ?

•••
I handregged namechief.com in 1991, my first ever domain. I sold it for $100, and quickly bought when I first offered it to sell.

It is now a domain registrar.
1991 and you sell it for only 100$ !

•••
it's depend on quality of name yes
but some buyer dont beleve in this they need only old domains what is the best of years in domain
they will make domain strong in search engine or some else ?

I won't pretend to be an expert in domain sales as I'm not, however, in almost 7 years in this business, I have yet to find any kind of evidence that domain age matters to an end user.

•••
•••
Every domain name was handreg ... Something to thinkover imo ... Good Luck

•••
This is 2020. There are around 150M .COM regs.
There is heavy competition for anything even remotely decent.

While yes, every domain was a "hand reg" at some point, it wasn't under those conditions.

Good domains tend to be aged, because they were registered when there were more good domains available.

However, just because a domain is aged doesn't make it good. There is plenty of aged trash.

Even when a new market emerges, most of the top quality domains in that field have been registered for years or even decades.

Statistically, on average, hand regs are going to be lower quality than existing registrations.

With that said hand regs can still be decent, but you really have to know what you are doing to turn it into a profitable venture.

Brad

•••
why people here don't like handreg domains

I love hand regs...if I close the one I'm working on now, it will put me in the xx,xxx category for the year. All you have to do is watch the news and follow trends to locate a good one. It is not easy and takes a lot of time so many people don't bother with trying to find a gem.

Whether it is a hand reg or a 15 year old name picked up on auction means nothing if the name is crap...don't register or buy crap names and the future will have potential sales in it.

BTW, the oldest hand reg I sold this year was about 4 years old...the newest was less than 3 months old.

•••
Because there are only a handful of people who are really good in Hand registering domains.
It is not even a domaining skill anymore. It is like being a great guitarist, or a golfer, or an artist.

There are a few types of Hand reggers that I am aware of:

A)
Some people are just good in hand regging names. I can combine 2-3 words and come up with Nice Niche relevant names. Meaningful words will be hard to register. Because there are many Automated tools like NameMesh that will suggest all kinds of word combination when you use a root word. Take CBD for an example, Type CBD in any of the name generators you can't even get CBDMouse. Same with every good keywords. And these domains don't get deleted neither. Mostly they will be in Auction or grabbed in closeout.
SO who are these guys who are good in making up word combinations. Like I said they are good but most names are taken.
You best bet is to look for these words in deleted stream and hand reg again, because almost every word combo slight variation as well as misspelt words (Qoin/Koin instead of Coin) are already registered at some point due to law of large numbers.

This is also where most people do the most newbie mistakes. They go to deleted domains lists and hand reg every name that sounds good to them. This is the type of Hand you are typically warned against.
But then again there are many people who does very well picking up deleted names for hand registration. It is a skill that very few possess. I didn't even realize when I hand registered over 500 names in my first couple months. It is a rite of passage for a lot of domainers but can be risky for someone who cannot afford, because my 500 names are a loss of $5000 already.

B)
And then there are people who are extremely knowledgeable in a certain Niche and foresee an immense growth in that niche or industry long before other people see it and they use popular suffix, prefix, typo to hand register names in an industry that is not yet popular. Take the CBD example again. Long before Marijuana was legalized, many people including some folks from here hand registered hundreds of domains names and have sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you ask what could be the next Marijuana, I don't know and I am pretty well read, listen to all the tech Podcasts regularly, subscribe to CB Insights and what not. And I don't even want to to go there.
Same was with Crypto.

Most likely a newbie will a bit too late to the party, and all the good names will have been taken and they will start registering junk combinations. Just use the NP search function and look for DEFI domains and Crypto domains for sale on Namepros with no buyers.

C)
When a new TLD or ccTLD comes out, some people made good money by buying up single word domain names.

There are a few folks here who does very well in .TV, .XYZ, .CO because they could register a lot of single word domains names, and then later build out their portfolio by reinvesting in premium after market names.

But for every .co, .TV, .XYZ, there is the .biz also

.UK is the latest crazy. Only timne will tell if the current .UK investors will get a big pay off.

There are those who invest in good SLD.nGTLD combo also
Home.Loans is a good combination, but they are limited and the highly relevant combinations are all reserved by the registry and that is also plce which can make a people do expensive mistakes.

So you gotta pick your poison.
Hand Reg is not the easiest path to success.
It is also not the cheapest.

Handreg typically has the least sell through, less than 1%.
let us say it is 1%, it means you need to register 100 names to sell 1 domain in 1 year.
Do the math. It is not cheap.

•••
The recent competition makes it more difficult to get cheap domains at auction that are any good. The best current opportunities may very well lie in hand-registration. But since these names aren't registered to begin with, no one really has any reason to buy those names immediately, unless you have a good advertising flow going. (The exception is buying off the drop because a lot of those names have been tied up for years, so someone might actually want one of those names without you having to advertise..)

Age does matter in the sense that when people look up your domain name, I would imagine they hate to see that you registered the domain in 2020 and are asking $3k for it, in their non-domaining perspective it may appear to them that you should be selling the domain for only $100-200 because it was so recently registered.. so you might have to carry a lot of the domains for a few years at the least.. until the person (if there is one) knows they can't just "wait you out"... but if you have faith that these names (if they are good) will only continue to increase in value as time goes on (as I do), then it doesn't matter that much if they aren't flying off the shelves in the first couple of years...

•••
... I would imagine they hate to see that you registered the domain in 2020 and are asking $3k for it, in their non-domaining perspective it may appear to them that you should be selling the domain for only $100-200 because it was so recently registered..

Respectfully disagree with that part.

We domainers occasionally become end-users since we also buy domains for our own use.

The few times I wanted to purchase a domain for myself, I didn't even check how long was the registration going; I liked the domain and made an offer for it.

Moreover, I have never had any -seemingly a non domainer- making an offer complaining about the domain having a registration too recent.. only domainers complain about stuff like that (and other nonsense for that matter)

•••
I have never had any -seemingly a non domainer- making an offer complaining about the domain having a registration too recent.. only domainers complain about stuff like that (and other nonsense for that matter)

Yes, there are a lot of factors and it's difficult to generalize across all end-users. If they are buying just on the keyword or the brand name, which is often the case, then age wouldn't matter as much (or at all).

However, if an end-user is comparing brandables let's say on squadhelp, and they find out your domain was registered in 1998, that can be a huge selling point to them versus if it was registered only recently.

You mentioned customers who have already placed an offer for the domain and that you haven't heard any complaints from this sub-group.. but for your domain to get noticed to even get the offer, they may do a whois search and, it could be a huge selling point if your domain had been registered for a long time. Once they've made the offer, they've already bypassed the stage where age would matter.

As a domainer I have made a few purchases of select domains and for me, I feel like the asset has much more value if the creation date is 1997 versus 2019. But that isn't based on anything other than just my perception that other people find domain age to be important.. I would rather have an asset that other people find more appealing.

•••
thanks for explain to me
But I see a difference in some names. When reserving a new name and submitting it to the Godaddy appraisal tool for evaluation, you find the evaluation ranges from 1000 to 2000 if the domain is not registered, but when I see a request, some buyers ask for the name must be GD Value go higher 4k or 10 or more
but this value not in new domains so i think if i buy new domain and i keep renew for some years the value will go higher and it will sold easy When the buyer comes and buys the name it will also be easy for him to sell it because it is not a handreg I concluded this based on what I see in the requests section and some sites

•••
There's nothing wrong with hand registrations. But all hand registrations are not created equal. Some are just better than others. You have to have a knack for handregs for it to be worthwhile.

Another thing with handregs is that sometimes, you need to let some names mature. Imagine if someone was trying to sell CBD names 10 years ago?

•••
Blended hand regs are great...they just need to have some semblance of seamlessness and to be sensical. For me, it is not having too many syllables and for the name to possess phonetic harmony. I see some names that just clash and are confusing. They give me a head ache just reciting or pronouncing them.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Back