IT.COM

.eu What is the future of .EU domains?

NameSilo
Watch

gprod

Established Member
Impact
Usually I see lot of offers for good domain names, inc. one word domains with .EU
I was checked the sales on namebio.com - and find that .EU is not so popular, only Sedo and Golem are the marketplaces with reported sales...

What's the problem with this gTLD?

I see people said:
- Google doesn't like .EU's;
- European Union is not a country - there everyone speaks his own language;
- It's hard to register .EU domain because it's needs EU addres...

What is your opinion?
Do you have .EU in your portfolio?
Do you have a kinf of sales with .EU?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Disintegration will happen...
It is already started... and just question of time...
Nobody is saying that the big picture will not change in 10-20 years and that 1-2-5 countries will choose to be out of EU, but that' doesn't mean that EU as a whole will not exist...at this point the trust in EU is around 55% on average and going up to 80% in some countries. All the time there will be some peoples who will disagree but that doesn't mean that this will change to much

•••
I don't own any .ie domains, but I own .eu and .co.uk domains used for selling on irish market, so from my point of view, because I'm connected to real life not just stories, I tend to trust my instinct and knowledge, than to believe you that .com is better for me on these markets and loose my business because of that.
You don't really understand the Irish market. The .IE ccTLD is the dominant TLD in that market. Unlike you, when I make a claim, I have to be able to back it up with the facts and the data. In the Irish market, the local ccTLD is the dominant TLD followed by .COM and then CO.UK. The .EU is a non-core TLD and primarily just a brand protection TLD.

Regards...jmcc

•••
It will finish like USSR...
I'm sure on 95%.

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if you have more inside info than I have...on 15 february will be presented a study commissioned by EU which will be used as the start of federalization of EU, talking about a single army, a single government an other things until 2030.
To keep it short: the EU already has various bodies that do not aim at replacing but complement existing national structures (example: Frontex). European army: old news...
If you are saying old nations are going to be wiped out of existence and substance by 2030 (willingly !) then I suggest you stop using that medication :)
The fact of the matter is that the EU is not popular (for good and bad reasons), and European citizens identify with their home country and ccTLD. Consumers don't easily relate with artificial extensions.

You might want to stock up on .world domains now in anticipation of the one-world government :)

That 'random' survey of 5000 names has to be considered for what it is: a limited sampling that does not tell the whole story, and the methodology has to explained. I have a dataset of about 3.5M names in my archives. If I gave it to you, do you even have an idea of how it could be used ?

As the saying goes: your mileage may vary. I understand you are a happy .eu user but you are not a representative example.

I don't own any .ie domains, but I own .eu and .co.uk domains used for selling on irish market
D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:

•••
I'm sure 95%.
It is already viewed like that with the Nomenklatura in Brussels. There's been a shift away from .EU ccTLD over the last few years and growth has effectively stalled in the ccTLD. Once that kind of thing happens, the registries generally try to promote their TLD with discounting. The problem is that these discounted registrations don't renew as well as the full-fee registrations. The European ccTLDs have grown considerably in the last eight years or so whereas .EU ccTLD has not.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I'm sure 95%.
Nobody knows what will happen, but there are big differences between EU and USSR..nobody is forcing any country from EU to be part of it, nobody is having security issues if it's not part of it...and the general world competition from China, India and a few others will force everybody to stay together, because you can't be anymore 'the big dog' outside EU, even if your name is Germany, France or UK.

•••
For security NATO was created and exists...

Last edited:
•••
To keep it short: the EU already has various bodies that do not aim at replacing but complement existing national structures (example: Frontex). European army: old news...
If you are saying old nations are going to be wiped out of existence and substance by 2030 (willingly !) then I suggest you stop using that medication :)
The fact of the matter is that the EU is not popular (for good and bad reasons), and European citizens identify with their home country and ccTLD. Consumers don't easily relate with artificial extensions.

You might want to stock up on .world domains now in anticipation of the one-world government :)

That 'random' survey of 5000 names has to be considered for what it is: a limited sampling that does not tell the whole story, and the methodology has to explained. I have a dataset of about 3.5M names in my archives. If I gave it to you, do you even have an idea of how it could be used ?

As the saying goes: your mileage may vary. I understand you are a happy .eu user but you are not a representative example.

D-:D-:D-:D-:D-:
Yes Kate, you are the only one here who can read any data. Probably that why you give such good advices to new users. I remember that just over two years ago when I have joined namepros you were one of the first one's to tell me to drop all the 10 or so names that I have just registered and we were talking specially about certain names and you were saying that nobody, never will buy them and in the next few month I've sold 4 out of ten and one of them, which you were saying that it has no sense, I had two inquiries and was sold for over 150 times more than what I have paid for it. And you still try to teach peoples that hand reg's don't have any value, but I've sold 23 to end users last year and over 350 to resellers, making more profit than 90% of namepros users....so probably you should be more careful with your data and try to study it more, because it seems that even you are not using it properly, if you give this kind of advices.

Last edited:
•••
big differences between EU and USSR..nobody is forcing any country from EU to be part of it
Constitution of the USSR also had no any obligations to be part of it.

Last edited:
•••
Hard to believe it's been around since 2006.

•••
You don't really understand the Irish market. The .IE ccTLD is the dominant TLD in that market. Unlike you, when I make a claim, I have to be able to back it up with the facts and the data. In the Irish market, the local ccTLD is the dominant TLD followed by .COM and then CO.UK. The .EU is a non-core TLD and primarily just a brand protection TLD.

Regards...jmcc
I have never said that ie. is not the dominant tld, the idea is that .com is not used outside of some magazines and tourism related websites. Please let me know how many shops do you know using .ie and selling on the EU continental market? If you ask 100 french guys, guess how many will know that .ie is the cctld of Ireland? Also, just over 40% of .ie domains are hosted in Ireland, most of the others are hosted in UK and US, so we are talking about companies selling in UK and EU and most of them are defensive. If you want to use .ie to sell just to irish market, you will need a big luck, because most of the commercial market in Ireland is the 1 million from around Dublin, so you can't make big bugs. For example, if you pass the M50, on N2, you will find a technology company selling hardware to companies in Ireland, Uk and continental EU, and the .ie is used just for the 10% of the internal market, the rest of customers are comming from Uk and continental Europe. Now, with Brexit, they will count more on continental market, because they can't be competitive with extra taxes.

•••
Hard to believe it's been around since 2006.
Sunrise 2005 and Landrush 2006. Eurid had to halve the price of the renewal rate coming up to the first year's renewal anniversary as it thought that the drops were going to be much higher if it did not. It was at about 2.4 million at the end of the first year.

Regards...jmcc

•••
even if your name is Germany, France or UK.
.EU usage in the mentioned countries is very low... most are just defensive registrations.

•••
.EU usage in the mentioned countries is very low... most are just defensive registrations.
The quote was referring mostly to security issues, but I know hundreds of german websites using .eu and tons of xxxx sales to german market, so you don't pay these money for defense...also, I have never said that it's used by most companies( at over 1 million registration out of 13 million or so .de domains, in Germany .eu is more than the average in EU), the idea is that even .com is in the same situation, both of them having around 5% of the active websites.

•••
I have never said that ie. is not the dominant tld, the idea is that .com is not used outside of some magazines and tourism related websites.
I told you how many .COM domains were on Irish hosters. The .COM is a legacy TLD in Ireland and the growth in .IE ccTLD is generally higher each month.

Please let me know how many shops do you know using .ie and selling on the EU continental market?
You don't seem to understand the function of ccTLDs. They cater to the local market.

Also, just over 40% of .ie domains are hosted in Ireland, most of the others are hosted in UK and US, so we are talking about companies selling in UK and EU and most of them are defensive.
You haven't a clue about the Irish market. Approximately 76.85% of .IE domain names are on Irish hosters. According to IEDR, 21,313 .IE domain names are foreign registered. 216,099 .IE domain names are Irish registered.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The quote was referring mostly to security issues, but I know hundreds of german websites using .eu and tons of xxxx sales to german market, so you don't pay these money for defense...also, I have never said that it's used by most companies( at over 1 million registration out of 13 million or so .de domains, in Germany .eu is more than the average in EU), the idea is that even .com is in the same situation, both of them having around 5% of the active websites.
Do you really think that .DE and .COM are each at 5% usage?

Regards...jmcc

•••
I know hundreds of german websites using .eu and tons of xxxx sales to german market, so you don't pay these money for defense...
Defensive $X,XXX sales to Germans are usual in all popular TLDs.
Nothing new and special here. Well-known fact.
I also sold the absolutely mediocre .NET to German company for 2K EUR... defensive purchase, just redirect to their .DE

Last edited:
•••
Do you really think that .DE and .COM are each at 5% usage?

Regards...jmcc
No, .eu and .com are at 5%..where I was saying something about .de?

•••
I remember I was looking to register realty .eu in sunrise but it was caught by an Austrian guy, who put it on sale for 10,000 EUR with many other domain.

•••
I told you how many .COM domains were on Irish hosters. The .COM is a legacy TLD in Ireland and the growth in .IE ccTLD is generally higher each month.

You don't seem to understand the function of ccTLDs. They cater to the local market.

You haven't a clue about the Irish market. Approximately 76.85% of .IE domain names are on Irish hosters. According to IEDR, 21,313 .IE domain names are foreign registered. 216,099 .IE domain names are Irish registered.

Regards...jmcc
Can you share the statistics about the .ie domains hosted, I have found a statistic from iedr just two hours ago but I can't find it anymore...it was saying that 44% of them are hosted in Ireland around 16% or so in uk and 24 or so in US...I think that it was from 2016, but let me know if you have another one saying something else.

•••
I'm sure on 95%.
This is a quote from 2017 eurobarometer:
'Finally, 68% of Europeans feel they are citizens of the EU, which is the highest level ever shown by this indicator.'
The highest trust in last 10 years, with rise of 14% in France, 10% Germany, 10% in Portugal, 13% in Denmark and so on...maybe you read different this data.

•••
Can you share the statistics about the .ie domains hosted, I have found a statistic from iedr just two hours ago but I can't find it anymore...it was saying that 44% of them are hosted in Ireland around 16% or so in uk and 24 or so in US...I think that it was from 2016, but let me know if you have another one saying something else.
IEDR publishes a breakdown for registrars. IEDR would not make such a misleading statement about only 44% being hosted in Ireland as the largest Irish registrar has approximately 30% of the .IE market by itself. 91% of .IE domain names are Irish registered.

This is the most recent .IE profile report.
https://www.iedr.ie/uploads/IEDR-Domain-Profile-Report-Jan-2018.pdf

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
IEDR publishes a breakdown for registrars. IEDR would not make such a misleading statement about only 44% being hosted in Ireland as the largest Irish registrar has approximately 30% of the .IE market by itself.

Regards...jmcc
Perfect, just post the link so that I can check it one more time, maybe I'm wrong...if not, I will find it eventually.

•••
This is a quote from 2017 eurobarometer:
'Finally, 68% of Europeans feel they are citizens of the EU, which is the highest level ever shown by this indicator.'
The highest trust in last 10 years, with rise of 14% in France, 10% Germany, 10% in Portugal, 13% in Denmark and so on...maybe you read different this data.
All empires were destroyed. All have a certain lifecycle...
It is not a question of citizenship or sociology, it is historical axioma.

Last edited:
•••
I'm sure on 95%.

Still, the extension can survive)
There are seems to be almost over 100K domains active in .su (Soviet Union) extension -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.su
And it is still available to registration.

Regarding the use of .eu
I'm from Estonia. Couple of years ago, have analysed what domain extensions are used by companies (scraped one popular directory site). The stats were as follows:

Total - 60000
.ee - 47000
.com - 5000
.eu - 4800
.net - 1000
others

From what I see, many popular businesses are using and it is well recognized by the general public as well.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back