Dynadot

.eu What is the future of .EU domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gprod

Established Member
Impact
Usually I see lot of offers for good domain names, inc. one word domains with .EU
I was checked the sales on namebio.com - and find that .EU is not so popular, only Sedo and Golem are the marketplaces with reported sales...

What's the problem with this gTLD?

I see people said:
- Google doesn't like .EU's;
- European Union is not a country - there everyone speaks his own language;
- It's hard to register .EU domain because it's needs EU addres...

What is your opinion?
Do you have .EU in your portfolio?
Do you have a kinf of sales with .EU?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All empires were destroyed. All have certain lifecycle...
It is not a question regarding citizenship or sociology, it is historical axioma.
I know that, but it could take 30-50-100-500 years, nobody knows how much it will take. Also, take China, US....there were a lot of disagreements and fights, but eventually they found a way to live together...nobody knows until when, but they are together for now.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Still, the extension can survive)
There are seems to be almost over 100K domains active in .su (Soviet Union) extension -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.su
And it is still available to registration.

Regarding the use of .eu
I'm from Estonia. Couple of years ago, have analysed what domain extensions are used by companies (scraped one popular directory site). The stats were as follows:

Total - 60000
.ee - 47000
.com - 5000
.eu - 4800
.net - 1000
others
This is the January 2018 estimate for Estonia in the COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO/MOBI/ASIA gTLDS:

Estonia EE
Total: 29,544
COM: 22,646
NET: 3,040
ORG: 1,666
BIZ: 364
INFO: 1,727
MOBI: 70
ASIA: 31

The Q3 figure for Estonian .EU domains was 22,953.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Eu will separate when the US will do the same.
I don't understand how non Eu users are so sure about things in the EU. It's like me giving lessons to someone from the US about us.

•••
The US sample is incorrect apriori.
The USA was formed by immigrants.. from ZERO.

•••
There have been attempts from some countries to separate and I guess still are. Haven't red too much regarding this since I don't see it coming soon.

•••
Yes, but here were territories owned my mexicans, there were indians, part of territories bought from France, some immigrants liked British empire, lots of them hated them...so a lot of things that they needed to handle. Also there were states that wanted the union and some that didn't wanted...so there are always things

•••
•••
•••
Investor must be always ready for the worst scenario.
Rule #1.

•••
Investor must be always ready for the worst scenario.
Rule #1.
Yes, but if you concentrate to much for the worst scenario you could not have time to get ready for the best scenario and you could loose some opportunities.

•••
And again...
I don't see any opportunities in .EU to make significant money except the defensive sales to German companies...
Just another TLD...

•••
And again...
I don't see any opportunities in .EU to make significant money except the defensive sales to German companies...
Just another TLD...
Yes, just another tld, like most of them...in the last month with over 100k in sales, so good enough to make some extra money.

•••
•••
Guys with 100K in monthly sales - usually don't spend whole days on the domain forums...
At least 95% of them.

Last edited:
•••
Guys with 100K in monthly sales are usually don't spend whole days on the domain forums...
At least 95% of them.
100k showed by namebio, I didn't say that they where my sales....but if you can take a small pie from it, a small pie from pro, a small pie from co, a small one from .com and you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, .EU domains may be considered...
But not for heavy investments...

•••
But neither .com should not be considered to invest all your cash, as well as .de, ngtls, .org and others...the same goes for each industry, if you invest everything in one place, the risk is higher...so diversity can't be bad.

•••
•••
I think it depends on Europe's political developments. If the EU expands and the countries continue further integration it may do very well but that may still be many years from now.

Europeans are culturally very connected with their country and traditions and they do not see the EU as a federal state. I would place my bets on each countries ccTLDs doing well but with such a fast changing world who really knows for certain??

•••
What is your experience with .PRO?
10-20 domains and 1 year???

I said it just to create the idea of people talking things without having enough experience and knowledge. Your reaction was same as mine.

•••
The EU collapse - one of the primary targets for Putin... Billions are spent yearly into this mission...
So the mentioned planning document by the German army is even very optimistic prediction...

•••
The fact of the matter is that the EU is not popular (for good and bad reasons), and European citizens identify with their home country and ccTLD. Consumers don't easily relate with artificial extensions.

You keep saying EU is not popular among European people and that is completely wrong.

It's not popular among British people. Period.

The economic crisis was a tough time, now that's being left behind. UK euro-skeptics used it to force Brexit. And then there's the Greek case, who suffered under austerity measures. That's all:

Sharp increase in favorability of EU in many countries in last year

PG_2017.06.15.EU-Brexit-00-00.png

tk13.jpg

If you're watching it from a British point of view, your opinion might be biased.

PS: UK has always been on the 'individualistic' side regarding EU.

Last edited:
•••
Norway, Switzerland, Iceland are not EU-members and they live perfectly...

•••
Norway, Switzerland, Iceland are not EU-members and they live perfectly...
Yes, but they have agreements of free trade with EU, without that their economy will be half. And EU has said they will not accept any other special agreements...inside or outside.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back