Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nada_book14

Established Member
Impact
What is the Character limit for domain name?

I am having Event Management company in Delhi who offer all kinds of events services. Event Organisers in Delhi are best among top event firms. I want to boost its SEO ranking ? Any ideas?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If you're interested, I think @KINGOF.TOP will enlighten you to the world of 63 character domains.

•••
The limit for a "domain" is 63: com, net, company, etc.

The limit for a "domain name" is 253: this.is.a.domain.name.com, andso.is.this.company, etc.

Understand the difference. :cigar:

Wikipedia:
  • The hierarchy of domains descends from the right to the left label in the name; each label to the left specifies a subdivision, or subdomain of the domain to the right. For example: the label example specifies a node example.com as a subdomain of the com domain, and www is a label to create www.example.com, a subdomain of example.com. Each label may contain from 1 to 63 octets. The empty label is reserved for the root node. The full domain name may not exceed a total length of 253 ASCII characters in its textual representation.[5] Thus, when using a single character per label, the limit is 127 levels: 127 characters plus 126 dots have a total length of 253. In practice, some domain registries may have shorter limits.

•••
•••
Not sure if taking advantage of a domain's character limit will boost rankings, in fact it might do the opposite, as they seem confusing. 63 character domains are difficult to get to as they won't get type-ins. Best to use url shortners to help link them. After their initial "curiousity factor" they generally fall off the radar.

Having said that, they can be intriguing. If you like long domain names and want more juicy insights there is a site dedicated to them: longest.domains

P.S. > If you get yourself a long domain name using the dot-international TLD, you can really add some oomph..

•••
To clarify what's already been said, each label is limited to 63 characters. That means you're limited to 63 characters excluding the TLD. A domain name is comprised of labels separated by periods.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back