IT.COM

What is CCCC in domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Afaque khan

Established Member
Impact
May I know what is CCCC in domain name type refer to?...I am new to domaining.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They mean a mix of letters and numbers such a aa11.com or bb22.com (Examples only).
LLLL refers to domain names with only alphabets such as abcd.com or wxyz.com

•••
They mean a mix of letters and numbers such a aa11.com or bb22.com (Examples only).
LLLL refers to domain names with only alphabets such as abcd.com or wxyz.com
So they mean four characters right??

•••
•••
CCCC may also refer to 4 letter domains with the letters being consonants like "fgjk"

•••
CCCC may also refer to 4 letter domains with the letters being consonants like "fgjk"
I think there is a more clear abbrevation for 4-Letter domains as LLLL Which I ofcourse know.

•••

No. That's still LLLL. Technically, LLLL domains are subset of CCCC domains. But colloquially, CCCC always refers to domain names with a mix of letters and numbers. LLLL always refers to any domain with only alphabets.

Edit: Domain name with all consonants are referred to a CHIP LLLL or CHIP 4L and almost never as CCCC. The only time C is used to represent a consonant is when it is paired with V to represent vowels

Last edited:
•••
No. That's still LLLL. Technically, LLLL domains are subset of CCCC domains. But colloquially, CCCC always refers to domain names with a mix of letters and numbers. LLLL always refers to any domain with only alphabets

You are right, CCCC usually stands for 4 characters.

Technically, LLLL are a subset of CCCC domains, as you said, but in the LLLL set, there is also a CCCC subset for only consonants ( at least in Shortnames.com).

Last edited:
•••
Technically, LLLL are a subset of CCCC domains, as you said, but in the LLLL set, there is also a CCCC subset for only consonants ( at least in Shortnames.com).
Yes, 4 Consonant domains are a subset of LLLL but shortnames CCCC list is the one as per my earlier definition (mixture of letters and numbers).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back