- Impact
- 18,591
I am a huge fan of Kaspersky Internet Security
Mikor said:I will
There are some viruses for Linux but none in the wild. This is to do with the permissions system (a user can only edit their own personal files), and the way executable files are treated (a file can only be executed after explicitely allowing it). Therefore, for a virus to be a real danger on Linux it would firstly need to be executable, and secondly need to be run by root, who has write access to everything. Running something as root requires entering the password at least once, at login, it depends on the type of authentication used. So, for a virus to do anything, there would have to be a very incompetent admin.
Someone said to me that Javascript is a vulnerability because that is foreign code executed without being explicitely allowed - but the simple solution to that is to not run your web browser as root.
I said that would make me pretty safe because the process to get a virus is so difficult, not that running a virus as root would make me safe :O

