NameSilo

question What if my admin/registrant contact email gets hacked?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yan xhi

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Hello,
For personal purpose, I will give my wife access to my gmail account, the pb is that this account is my registrant and admin contact for too many domains, I would like to ask you if this account stolen ( phishing, social engineering...) what can the hacker do with it if it is different from my control panel email in Godaddy, Dynadot ...
I am asking you because I receive phishing emails everyday in this gmail email (but not in the other one which is associated with Godaddy), and I'm affraid that my wife clicks on some of them.

My opinion: the hacker will not be able to steal my domains because they are locked and he does not have access to my GoDaddy interface, and I can change registrant and admin contact email from Godaddy interface, am I right?

PS: my wife does not know my godaddy password, and I don't want to activate 2 factor authent in gmail (too complicated for my wife).

Thank you,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The admin e-mail can be used to impersonate you and request for a transfer of the domain without requiring access to your primary e-mail.
Also, please enable 2FA in your GoDaddy account to add security to your account (and all other registrar accounts that support it).
Finally, I'd also recommend that you change the admin e-mail for all your domains to a 3rd email address which is much more secure and not shared with your partner or others

•••
•••

You're welcome. I also suggest that if/when you do change the registrant details for your domains, opt out of the 60 day transfer lock if you plan to sell the domains in the interim period

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back