IT.COM

discuss What, how and why of outbound

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Well, I have been receiving a number of DMs from people asking how they could initiate outbound, what is it, how it works, and things around that. Here is my attempt to help you in this journey and try to answer some of it.

What is outbound?

An outbound is a way of marketing in which instead of the buyer reaching out to you for your domain names, naming a price, or pressing BIN, you reach out to the 'potential' buyers, show them what you are selling, why do you think it is valuable for them and how this can help their business.
This is contradictory to inbound where the end-users or business owners come to you for the domain name.

Why outbound?

There are 350 million + domain names registered across the world. Only a handful of domain names would be good. The rest would be average or not so good.
From that perspective, the buyer may not come after average names because either they do not know about it or they are not looking for it. The only way to sell those names is for you to reach out to the 'potential' buyers and put your name across to them.
Not only that, since your name is average, you have to convince them why owning your domain name could be valuable to them, in a language that they understand.

How do you do it?

I am not going to be very detailed on this front (that may be a discussion for another day) but here is how it works:

Reaching out to prospects can be done in multiple ways. This could be a combination of one or more of these channels:

a) Email outbound - Email outbound is typically done by finding out who the potential buyer is, getting their email ids, and then sending out emails to those buyers by actively reaching out to them.
For example, if you own VegasDrive.com, (mock negotiation for which we are doing here), you would:

1) Google terms like 'Vegas Drive', 'car rental service in Vegas', 'Vegas Car Rentals' and so on, and then, find out the top 50 search results, who could be your potential lead and shortlist them.

2) Then you would go to their website and gather their email address for the reach out. There are tools in the market as well and you can use them to gather leads directly (hunter.io and some others. People here may know better tools for lead generation).

3) Write an email to the prospects telling them that you own a certain name and selling it for so and so $. And this is how the domain name may benefit their business.
If they are interested, negotiate and sell.

b) LinkedIn and social Media - While LinkedIn seems to be the best source of outbound when it comes to social media, I have heard people sell through Insta and Facebook as well. But sometimes, it may not be worth the effort. So, LinkedIn is much more professional, targeted, and easier to operate. How do you sell on LinkedIn?

1) Find out the prospective businesses for your domain name, on Google.
2) Look for those businesses on LinkedIn. Find their owners.
3) Send out a message directly to the decision maker telling them about your domain name and the benefits.
4) If they are interested, negotiate and sell

c) Phone Call - While I have not tried cold calling and selling domain names, I have heard that some people are good at it and they have done this as well. I am not sure about the success rate of this method because people don't like receiving calls and believing some strangers, some may have cracked it and it is better they share their experience (since I do not know much about this).

I can expand more on the first 2 topics as we move along if you are interested, but here is a post for newbies to understand. Please share any experience that you had, tools, learnings, and anything else that can make us guide each other in our quest to succeeding at domain investment and flipping.
Do let me know if you want me to cover something specific in future posts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Any initial thoughts on this?
Anything you want me to elaborate?

Last edited:
•••
For the email outbounds, how many follow ups do you do and the spacing in days between each follow up

thanks

•••
So the OP writes a how to guide on how to sell "average" domains

The average domain is going to be shite, so get people with no sales experience to spam enough people and hopefully one will sell.........

For the email outbounds, how many follow ups do you do and the spacing in days between each follow up

thanks

Follow up twice - spread it out every 2 or 3 days - no response = no interest

Anything beyond the above is just unprofessional in my opinion.....though some people do it......smacks of desperation if you follow up to many times

You can use tools which show you if the recipient has opened the email and how many times, if they click on any of the links etc etc

Outbounding domains is no different to selling anything else to corporates/companies.....

Have a professional email template which can be personalised
Email signature with contact details and preferably a LinkedIn profile link
Get to the point - no waffle
Follow up a couple of times - be professional
Have an Opt Out / Unsubscribe feature

Have a quality product or service......

•••
Any initial thoughts on this?
Anything you want me to elaborate?
Hi, I'm new here. This may be outside this topic but, when I send outbounds that include my asking price and the buyer sends a “I'm willing to pay $xxx for this domain”, whenever I accept their offer immediately and send them a lead to complete the transaction, they always ghost or say something like “no longer interested”. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is there something I'm meant to do that I'm not?

•••
Hi, I'm new here. This may be outside this topic but, when I send outbounds that include my asking price and the buyer sends a “I'm willing to pay $xxx for this domain”, whenever I accept their offer immediately and send them a lead to complete the transaction, they always ghost or say something like “no longer interested”. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is there something I'm meant to do that I'm not?
Yes.. Never accept the first offer even if it way above your expectation.
Negotiate some more. Maybe just for the sake of it.

Accepting it right away makes the buyer feel that they have been played and are overpaying.

•••
Yes.. Never accept the first offer even if it way above your expectation.
Negotiate some more. Maybe just for the sake of it.

Accepting it right away makes the buyer feel that they have been played and are overpaying.
Oh! This is new info. Thanks @abstractdomainer

•••
Thank you for this post! I have a bunch of geo domains and have meant to try outbound, but have never gotten to it.

I have a couple of question about which email addresses people are using to send outbound emails.

1) Are people finding it best to create a gmail or other free email account or to email from your own domain?

2) Are you creating a new email per campaign?

3) Does using software like MailChimp have a higher rate of success than automation via an email sender, e.g., MailGun?

Would also be very interested in any software recommendations people might have. I have seen hunter.io and MailChimp mentioned.

•••
This is a great idea, l never knew l could outbound through LinkedIn. I always thought it to be done solely through mail. I will definitely try out LinkedIn, since it's going to give it a business and professional look, compared to private email.

•••
How to add unsubscribe link to gmail ?

Any email campaign softwares is a must to check for unsubscribers in a sheet? ...
I'm a newbie and i would request for any free suggestions...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back