NameSilo

What does it mean “BrandBucket accepted domain?” Does it mean anything at all?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xynames

XYNames.comTop Member
Impact
Reminds me of those old Paul Masson commercials you find on YouTube, with Orson Welles attesting that, “We will sell no wine before its time.”

Au contraire. They’ll stick the shit in the bottle, anytime.

Similarly, just because BB accepts a domain is not a be all end all tribute to its value. Really, it might not mean a thing.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It means exactly that is says. It is you (the reader) who perceive it as more, less or equally valuable.

•••
It means nothing unless you are publishing it on BB.

•••
It only means that if you are a BB seller, you know in advance you will be able to add the domain to your BB portfolio.

That's all. It has no impact on value.

•••
Similarly, just because BB accepts a domain is not a be all end all tribute to its value. Really, it might not mean a thing.
That is why many BB names sells on NP for 10-20 bucks. People keep better names for themselves.

•••
It means the name stinks and you have nothing else to say about it to help the sale.

•••
Given their acceptance rate (not sure where it currently stands but at comparable marketplaces it's 15%), it means that this name is worth at least several other domains one can skip at registering that are likely to be rejected if submitted for bb's approval.

•••
It means it's worth $10 to list with them, and a 30% commission if it sells there.

•••
These days, when I see a brandbucket domain being sold on NamePros, it makes me think I can't purchase it unless I bring my bb account to their definition of "good standing".

Really a shame, because I see some good domains selling cheap. And those without bb accounts, can't bid if the auction states bb account must be in good standing. Thus. a percentage of brandable buyers (those without a bb account in good standing) are ineligible to purchase or participate in such auctions. In effect alienating some brandable wholsesale buyers.

But in defense of BB, generally (or more so in the past when they had stricter acceptance standards) a BB domain mean's it's been vetted and approved to sell on bb. Depending if you're in their free listing fee program or not, accepted may also mean you need to pay $10 or so to publish the domain.

Last edited:
•••
It seems that once you publish your bb accepted domain name so that it appears on bb etc it gets a certain amount of publicity initially then it sinks to the bottom of their Web page etc

Bb should have a random system that simply rotates the domains

Because I searched through about 50 pages on bb and couldn't find a single domain that I own that is published on there

•••
1. It means you are eligible to compete in a lottery with a marketplace of 40,000 other names nobody can easily find, or if an end user does a keyword search what they will find at the top search results are only the owners, insider's and chosen fee's names appear at the top of the search irrespective of what your search intent or keyword show up.

2. If it is being sold here on Namepro's, it's probably because the previous owner had it listed for 5 years on brandbucket with no traffic or interest, so instead of just dropping it- they are doing you the favor of giving you another 5 years without selling it, and at least you are not paying the entry fee.

Last edited:
•••
•••
It probbly means you can't list it on Brand Bucket if you found it on a drop list. :)

•••
I think some of you are being overly harsh. I'll play devil's advocate here and offer up that having a "BB accepted" label on your name brings value to it for the following reasons:
  • BB has a proven track record of succeeding in selling brandable names to end users;
  • Due to their track record, and experience in the industry, one can surmise that BB is in a better (i.e. more qualified) position to deem what makes a brandable name "valuable"; and
  • BB has a reputation to maintain, and would not be listing names on their marketplace that they believe would tarnish that reputation.
That being said... BB is not the be-all and end-all of brandable names. They cater to a certain market. The fact that one's name is not accepted by BB does not make it crap. Alternatively, being accepted by BB does not make your name great, or even more likely to sell. It just serves as a filter for those less confident in their own valuation abilities. And I believe that, in itself, has value.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back