Dynadot

What do you think of this?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
First post no names, as am are asking those involved to respond before I take it further.

I sourced and then "registered" a premium name with -------.com.

It is not real time so knew I had to wait for final registration.

Received confirmation from ------.com that the process was ongoing and I needed to supply documents which I did by return.

Turns out that ------.com is a reseller of x-------.com a very well known registrar so the docs were sent directly to them as requested.

Waited one day and then checked and the name was still not registered so I emailed to five different accounts that were related to ------.com and x-----.com and asked what was happening.

About 2 hours later I checked and the name was now registered in the name of x------.com so felt quite comfortable and waited for it to hit my -------.com account.

Today ,being the next day, I get an email saying that the name had been registered by a third party and they would credit or refund my registration fee.

Not so unusual perhaps? This was, the name was registered in the name and company of the very well known CEO whose company was supposed to be registering the name on my behalf,just a short time after I sent the email asking what was happening!

This occurred between the 26th and 29th of this month.

Your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's happened to me a couple of times. It's possible that's it's legitimate but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not. What can you do? When dealing with proxy agents you always run the risk of dealing on false information. It's a fact you have ti live with especially with domain names.

•••
That's happened to me a couple of times. It's possible that's it's legitimate but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not. What can you do? When dealing with proxy agents you always run the risk of dealing on false information. It's a fact you have ti live with especially with domain names.

You have had the CEO's of companies that you are using as a registrar register the name from under you?

Who were they? Might be the same ones. People need to know.

•••
Sounds like you got dogged.

•••
Sounds like you got dogged.

Pretty much 100%, from the emails I sent and received it stands out like a sore thumb,don't understand why he did it though, the guy is VERY rich.

Anyway,as I said waiting to see if I get a response and then determine course of action if any.Even if it's simply name and shame.

•••
The thing I don't get is, why deal with a reseller and not a registrar ?

•••
Not acceptable.

Name them both - the CEO & the reseller. Publish the emails, too, if it shows publicly the timeline.

There's an arrogance - and rank dishonesty - in the domain business, far too often. And, the more light that is shone into these dark corners, the better, imo.

•••

Pretty simple,did not know until it was too late. But not really the point. The docs were sent to the main registrar.

•••
Not acceptable.

Name them both - the CEO & the reseller. Publish the emails, too, if it shows publicly the timeline.

There's an arrogance - and rank dishonesty - in the domain business, far too often. And, the more light that is shone into these dark corners, the better, imo.

As I said, I am awaiting responses, it's only a few hours since it all came to light so only fair to wait a couple of days.

That said,most here know I will have no qualms in posting the details,everywhere!

•••
Gets more interesting, I had tried to register another name via ------.com,same extension, but it took so long and I was not that bothered about that one so we agreed to cancel last Monday and I used the money for the one I had subsequently found and was really good(IMO).

Guess who registered that name as well, yes it was the registrar company CEO!

I can't be the only one who they have "used" so any others out there guys?

Sorry, still can't release the full details until early next week.

•••
•••
Maybe the CEO's name is an umbrella for the company account they'll use to resell the domains?

•••
Please do keep us updated

•••

Domainers seem to forget that resellers are no different than they are, their domainers, some are honest and many are NOT, most lack integrity and are only out for #1.. It's becoming more cut throat by the year.

•••
Domainers seem to forget that resellers are no different than they are, their domainers, some are honest and many are NOT, most lack integrity and are only out for #1.. It's becoming more cut throat by the year.

What if they are one and the same?

Still waiting for responses from the persons involved at seller /registrar level, but not forthcoming at the moment.

Just to ensure that I was not looking at this from the wrong perspective,being too involved, I have provided an independent source with the relevant information and the conclusion is the same as mine.

Last edited:
•••
I am not saying resellers are not honest but they are often one-man shows and they are not subject to the same requirements as registrars. If they vanish it's more difficult to recover your domains. When there is a problem with a registrar, the registry can intervene. When a reseller goes AWOL the upstream registrar will not always be very helpful.

•••
I sourced and then "registered" a premium name Weather.id with OnlyDomains.com.

It is not real time so knew I had to wait for final registration.

Received confirmation from OnlyDomains.com that the process was ongoing and I needed to supply documents which I did by return.

Turns out that OnlyDomains.com is associated with Instra.com a very well known registrar so the docs were sent directly to them as requested.

Waited one day and then checked and the name was still not registered so I emailed to five different accounts that were related to OnlyDomains.comand Instra.com and asked what was happening.

About 2 hours later I checked and the name was now registered via Instra.com so felt quite comfortable and waited for it to hit my OnlyDomains.com account.

Today ,being the next day, I get an email saying that the name had been registered by a third party and they would credit or refund my registration fee.

Not so unusual perhaps? This was, the name was registered in the name and company of the very well known CEO Tony Lentino whose company,Instra.com, was supposed to be registering the name on my behalf,just a short time after I sent the email asking what was happening!

This occurred between the 26th and 29th of this month.

I asked both OnlyDomains.com & Instra to comment, I heard nothing from either.

There is more on my blog in my signature relating to the association between OnlyDomains.com-Tony Lentino and Instra Corp if you are interested.

If so I would appreciate your comments

Last edited:
•••
Let domaingang know, they may be happy to expose any wrong doings

•••
•••
i think name and shame is the one way to really get scammers attention, of course you need to be able to back it up

•••
i think name and shame is the one way to really get scammers attention, of course you need to be able to back it up

Read the full thing on my blog and tell me what you think.

•••
logging off for the night but i will have a look tomorrow

•••
•••
My god these people are dumb!

Sent me this today when I asked for a refund

"Dear Sir,

Unfortunately, the domain was registered on behalf of the client whose application was submitted to our system sooner than yours.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Only Domains
www.onlydomains.com"

Had to point out to them that it was their boss Tony Lentino who registered it one day after they had received all my documents.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back