IT.COM

What do you think? Fictional study case: my.space.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I checked overture and my.space.com has an incredible 5,546 with TLD.

Type in traffic is most likely over 10.000 per month. What a wasted traffic.

What would happen if;
1. The owner sold that subdomain and somebody builds a website like myspace.com?
2. The owner sold that subdomain and somebody builds a website unrelated to myspace.com?
3. The owner developes that subdomain himself to a website like myspace.com?
4. The owner developes that subdomain himself to a website unrelated to myspace.com?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Whoever's the owner is in for potentially exciting times, especially if myspace
decides to go to Court.

•••
Dave Zan said:
Whoever's the owner is in for potentially exciting times, especially if myspace
decides to go to Court.

The subdomain doesn't resolve that's why he is saying it's a waste. Space.com doesn't have any problem with a court battle. There is no way myspace could go after them for their domain.

•••
I think the only thing they could do is create a subdomain and have it redirect to their main site. They'd pick up a bunch of new traffic, but most of it would be completely useless, because of their content.

And I wonder how this would pan out if they did develop a subdomain and used it for infringing purposes... I mean, their domain alone doesn't infringe, but if they clearly created the subdomain in bad faith, would that be enough to possibly lose their entire domain to a UDRP?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back