Domain Empire

opinion What do you think about the privatization of the internet? Is it real or just another conspiracy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

thevictor

Established Member
Impact
Hey NP - Please excuse my ignorance on this topic, but I have been hearing more and more about the internet being privatized and "recreated" within "private" cloud ecosystems. Would love to hear some expert opinions around this and what it means (if anything) for the domain industry?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think they would be able to pull something like that off... However the sad reality is that they probably wont even need to. Due to the monopolization and dominance of Google, the Internet is slowly becoming privatized and controlled to some extent anyway. With Google also owning Android, they are also in control of a large chunk of the smartphone market as well.

Essentially though the more they try and control things then more people will start moving over to TOR.

•••
I read a thread somewhere about Google's and Amazon's plans to acquire generic strings and restrict them for their own use. This was in 2012. Didn't really understand the meaning of that specific language at the time, but now it makes sense...somewhat...
So basically, the internet is not going to be privatized, it already has been? or at least the foundation has been set and we are moving towards it inevitably?

•••
I read a thread somewhere about Google's and Amazon's plans to acquire generic strings and restrict them for their own use. This was in 2012. Didn't really understand the meaning of that specific language at the time, but now it makes sense...somewhat...
So basically, the internet is not going to be privatized, it already has been? or at least the foundation has been set and we are moving towards it inevitably?

I think if you want to get a peak into how much control, syping, invasion of privacy and data mining that is being done by major corporations then it would be a good idea to watch the Snowden documentary that was releases earlier this year. Its a shocking eye opener to some of the under handed tactics that are being used by Governments and also how large tech companies are working with Governments to assist them to scr*w us all over. I think the foundation has already been set along time ago it's just that most people are not aware of it...

•••
Agreed! All of those mining experiments and operations must have been going on for years, they are just coming to light now, since people are more receptive to the idea of a "social society". I don't want to get carried away into the whole "snowden files" and "privacy" conversation though...Don't want to open that can of worms lol
I'm curious about how cloud based/ closed/ private ecosystems will affect domaining and how people access information. And what will happen to the rest of the internet that is not "restricted"?

•••
Agreed! All of those mining experiments and operations must have been going on for years, they are just coming to light now, since people are more receptive to the idea of a "social society". I don't want to get carried away into the whole "snowden files" and "privacy" conversation though...Don't want to open that can of worms lol
I'm curious about how cloud based/ closed/ private ecosystems will affect domaining and how people access information. And what will happen to the rest of the internet that is not "restricted"?

Lol...indeed that is a HUGE can of worms :)

I think blockchain technology will have more of an impact on domaining than cloud based tech.

•••
Lol...indeed that is a HUGE can of worms :)

I think blockchain technology will have more of an impact on domaining than cloud based tech.

HUGE can for sure! And it usually attracts the "worm lovers", which can be dangerous LOL

How do you think blockchain tech will impact domaining? Negatively?

•••
HUGE can for sure! And it usually attracts the "worm lovers", which can be dangerous LOL

How do you think blockchain tech will impact domaining? Negatively?

I don't think it would be a negative impact, more of a postive & evolutionary impact. I'm very very pro blockchain technology so I could be biased :)

•••
I don't think it would be a negative impact, more of a postive & evolutionary impact. I'm very very pro blockchain technology so I could be biased :)
I feel like the more I learn the less I know ;) You feel like sharing the reason for the "very very pro"?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back