Domain Empire

information What Do Big Brands Spend On Domains? Wikileaks Publishes Sony/MarkMonitor Invoices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
What do big companies that use brand protection company’s to register and buy domain names spend to protect, acquire, register and renew domain names?
According to the information posted by Wikileaks, MarkMonitor billed Sony (2014 invoice) registration or renewal fees for ccTLD’s & ccSLD’s as much as 15X more, compared to what the largest domain name registrar in the world GoDaddy.com charges currently for registrations or renewals in the same extensions...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nothing very surprising there. $0.5M/year for the domains we know about sounds big to you and I, but it's not a lot to somebody like Sony. I think they wouldn't save much by doing it house, and they'd lose any guarantees that MarkMonitor gives them.

•••
Interesting article. Not surprised though.

•••
Agreed, For Businesses like above with their Big Marketing Budget It's easily Achievable....Thank you, Balas

•••
Once again, we are in the wrong business.

Instead, we should be doing consultancy and charging those corporations big bucks for our insight.

•••
I was just thinking the same thing!

•••
So let me get this straight. Markmonitor acquire a domain name on behalf of their client,lets say $100K. Markmonitor send the bill to their client for $100K, plus $1K for domain name acquisition. Am I correct?

•••
So let me get this straight. Markmonitor acquire a domain name on behalf of their client,lets say $100K. Markmonitor send the bill to their client for $100K, plus $1K for domain name acquisition. Am I correct?

"Of course we do not know what the fee would have been if MarkMonitor.com were successful in acquiring the domain name."

"MarkMonitor billed Sony registration or renewal fees for ccTLD’s & ccSLD’s as much as 15X more [than] what the largest domain name registrar in the world GoDaddy.com charges currently for registrations or renewals in the same extensions."

It also depends on the client and their agreement with that client. There could be retainers, monthly or quarterly subscription fees, success fees, etc.

•••
•••
Nothing very surprising there. $0.5M/year for the domains we know about sounds big to you and I, but it's not a lot to somebody like Sony. I think they wouldn't save much by doing it house, and they'd lose any guarantees that MarkMonitor gives them.
Doesn't matter who it is a lot of money is a lot of money - it's not less just because you have more of it.
Also, they would have to spend a lot less if there were a lot less asshat domainers and jerk off registries around.

•••
My point really was they probably couldn't do it for a lot less, inhouse. But I don't think we have enough facts to make an out-and-out conclusion, like I just did :) But in house, they bear all the risks. I think it's a good policy, from the facts we do know, from here.

•••
Doesn't matter who it is a lot of money is a lot of money - it's not less just because you have more of it.
Relatively and ability are factors in financial transactions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back