NameSilo

discuss What are your selling points?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Typical scenario of a seller. A buyer is at your doorstep, you asked a price and s/he offered a price which is significantly apart. You truly believe that you have priced it right. Now the challenge for you is to how to convince the prospective buyer about the value of the 'merchandise' - in this case your domain where there are 'no real comparables' - the price is in the eyes of the beholder. A domain name is not a pair of shoes or clothing that you can compare the features/design/shelf life to other similar items and get the same out of it. 'Likeability' is one common and very big factor though and that is what that has got them to your door.

The issue for you as seller is that buyer is not aware of the value of the domain, one of the common factor being that they are thinking only in the realm of what the are seeking the name for (and they are right in their perspective) and not as you (seller) who has much broader vision/perspective/knowledge and you believe you have priced it right.

I have listed some of the factors below to hear the pros and cons of each. Please add your 'selling points' as well.

1) Age - if you tell them domain is aged xx years, then likely buyer can come back and say 'oh, you could not sell it in 'xx' years.. so..
2) Availability of other extensions
3) Prospective use of the name - generic versus specific. Generic - it is a general name and can be used in many industries. Specific - this name is really suited for this type of industry/business. Both have chance of going in the other direction (buyer's direction)
4) Google search results
5) Monthly Search Volume/Hits/CPC/Parking revenue
6) Other comparable active website names
7) Features of the name itself like pronounceability, shortness, alliteration etc etc.
8) Appraisals - that buyers come armed with
9) Other 'comparable' sales (Similar sounding words/having same keywords)
10) Asking price of other 'comparable' names on other domain selling websites
11) Business of the buyer (which they are less likely to divulge)
12) Suggesting other names which you think buyer may buy
13)...
14)...

Looking forward to have great discussion on this post

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
While providing statistics is one of the many elements behind closing the sale, it's not the most important. In fact, it may be on the bottom of the list of importance.

People don't spend their money on a Lamborghini because it has a 600HP engine... they spend their money because of the way that engine makes them feel when they have the throttle pressed against the floorboard and the exhaust it roaring and they are about to take flight! You don't sell stats... you sell emotion! You get them so excited about how it will FEEL that they forget about costs and they just have to have it!

Now, you can't always ignite this raw emotion in people - so you have to truly listen to what they say, how they say it and eventually you will tug the right string.

Here is a string of text that lead to the closing of my most recent sale. I found his string and while everything I said was honest and real, it also tugged his favorite chord:

Buyer:
Hi Ali,

Thanks for all your info. I don't think I will make an offer right now. Lots on the go in general. If I get a quiet moment I will get back to you to think it through a little.

Sincerely,
Buyer

Me:
Buyer,

Fair enough.

In regards to development, I’ve always thought [DomainName] worthy of an online traffic school.
Would be interesting hearing what you may want to do with the name.

Best,
Ali

Buyer:
My idea was more of an advertising site for actually tuning out and really just slowing it all down. More in keeping with being mindful in all we do and how to enable people to disconnect. A bit hokey I know but my sense is we are all going a mile a minute. What it would look like I am not sure but that's why I like the domain name.

Me:
Your speaking my language now! Last year I moved to Hawaii to disconnect from the madness. I no longer watch TV, read the news or use social media for personal reasons. It's been quite the lifestyle change. Meditation, nature, reading. Now a days I rather go to the beach and watch the sunset over just about any other activity.

(Literally his next message)

Buyer:

I would like to make an offer on [DomainName]. How do we go about this?

Prior to this string of emails happening, I was answering a ton of questions. At first I kept asking for an offer. Finally, I gave up asking and only started listening to him. I was there, supportive and was his friend about it. Again, all in a very genuine manner. All I did was be support. Until he felt a shared connection, until I found his string and plucked the right chord. We both had that in common and the emotional attachment made the sale.

Statistics are for Domainers, Emotion is for endusers.

•••
I agree with Perception's post. And I can say there has never been a time where I closed a sale by giving any type of statistics (unless it was to another domainer or a lower priced domain on an aftermarket listing), if anything I noticed any time I tried to justify or pitch a domain's value based on stats in a 1-on-1 negotiation with an end user I initiated, it totally backfired and the buyer lost interest for some reason or another (but that's just me) - My theory is it comes across as too 'salesy' - leave numbers out unless they're requested or are actual stats that will benefit them starting Today, not stats of what could be (searches for keywords, estibot appraisals, etc), could-be's are empty if you're not already doing it yourself.

I.e: This domain gets 50 type-in's a day (Good stats to give)
The keywords in this domain are searched 3,000 times a month (Not good unless it's requested or they mention seo/search volumes)

The only time numbers have helped is when I compared pricing of highly similar domains and how my price was less than theirs, those references usually would seal a deal.

Last edited:
•••
Typical scenario of a seller. A buyer is at your doorstep, you asked a price and s/he offered a price which is significantly apart. You truly believe that you have priced it right. Now the challenge for you is to how to convince the prospective buyer about the value of the 'merchandise' - in this case your domain where there are 'no real comparables' - the price is in the eyes of the beholder. A domain name is not a pair of shoes or clothing that you can compare the features/design/shelf life to other similar items and get the same out of it. 'Likeability' is one common and very big factor though and that is what that has got them to your door.

The issue for you as seller is that buyer is not aware of the value of the domain, one of the common factor being that they are thinking only in the realm of what the are seeking the name for (and they are right in their perspective) and not as you (seller) who has much broader vision/perspective/knowledge and you believe you have priced it right.

Hi

i think the above scenario and the list of "factors" you posted, don't really apply to me or many others who are approached by a potential buyer.

they may be asked by the inquirer, but we don't bring them to the table.

from my perspective, there is "no challenge to convince the potential", therefore everything else doesn't matter.
sure, sometimes you may give brief explanation about pricing, if it's asked, but i don't volunteer extra data.

if and when such potentials show interest, and asking price and offered price is significantly apart, then we let them walk if negotiations fail to bring us closer.

coincidentally, received offer yesterday @ sedo on a name, and sent a counter offer.
the buyer increased their offer slightly, with additional comment, "please send traffic stats".

since the domain is not being sold with any claims of traffic, that will be the message they receive.

imo...

:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back