IT.COM

What are the steps for setting up a website? How can I save money at each step?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lulpros

Impact
Hello all I'm a newbie in this thing. I have been looking into this for sometime now and it got me interested. I have done some home work myself. I think I need a domain registrar, hosting and website builder. Please tell me if there is something else I need to do.
1. Domain name and registrar. Can this be done for free? Please name best paid and free ones to the best of your knowledge.
2. Web hosting service. Can this be done for free? Please name best paid and free ones to the best of your knowledge.
3. Website Builder. Can this be done for free? Please name best paid and free ones to the best of your knowledge.
4. Why might I need to change my registrar at any time? Can this be done for free?
5. Why might I need to change my hosting service? Can this be done for free?.
6. What is self-hosting? How much it costs?
7. Why might I need to change website builder? Can this be done for free?
8. What is CMS?
9. Domain Transfer/Selling: Can this be done for free? How?
10. Is there some software I need for a website? I see so many websites and forums that are just copies, do they use some opensource software or code that is all pre-made and ready to be uploaded to website?

Thank You

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think you could learn a lot buy building a free website on Weebly.com. It might not be a long term solution, but would teach you much of what you need to know.

•••
For 1), the domain name and registration part, it looks like my website is exactly what you should check out.

www.domcomp.com

It has price comparisons for each TLD, across the most popular providers. However, remember that price is not everything. I encourage you to take a look at the Reviews section as well.

for 4), why you might need to change registrar - you might change if you are dissatisfied with the service or you might find another provider with cheaper price. Again, domcomp.com displays both New Registration prices as well as Renewal and Transfer prices so you can get an idea of both.

Hope this is helpful.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back