IT.COM

What am I missing? A little help please...

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hey all,

So recently I purchased a few domain names to play around with as I continue to learn more about parking, monetizing, developing, etc. However, I'm parking these domains correctly (as I've not received ANY views on a number of them and only 1 or 2 unique views on three of them). I've tried playing with keywords (which I still don't know that I fully understand-are more words better? how does sedo tell between a single keyword or a phrase as a keyword? etc.) and their template options and still, nothing.

Perhaps I am missing things entirely here, or perhaps I am assuming incorrectly when I think that I should be seeing a few more views here and there. I could really use a level set as to what I need to be doing in order to receive some page views and a level set as to what realistic expectations I should have.

For what it's worth, I'm really not going into this with huge money making aspirations, I'd just like something to do in my spare time that (if at all possible) could pay for itself.

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If parking is going to be your main emphasis for now then you have to fine tune your ability to reg names that already get traffic even if just a couple visits a day, I concentrate i things i no best and new technologies that are coming out. But if you reg a name without natural traffic then building a site on it is about your best option.Google is very slow if ever to pick up parked domains.
good luck
joe T

•••
It's very common to reg a name and it has no traffic, even names that make sense and sound great to you. Just because you get a unique view doesnt at all mean you will get a click. Your experice sounds normal for someone that "purchased a few domain names to play around with"

•••
Thanks for the responses you two. This is sort of what I figured, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. I do plan on doing more research around development to try my hand at doing so. I think that I have a few names that would make for decent sites if developed so I will make that my primary focus and not get so caught up with the lack of views.

The things you both said make absolute sense and I definitely appreciate your taking the time to leave your thoughts. If you or anybody else has any tidbits to add (pertaining to developing, parking, etc.) feel free!

Thanks!

•••
buy traffic names to park

•••
What would be an example of a traditional parking name? Words with incorrect spelling and the like?

Also, are most of these sites ones that are already regged and, therefore, require a bit more cash outlay upfront?

Thanks again for staying patient with all my newbish questioning!

Last edited:
•••
There is no traditional parking name, but its is pointless if the domain doesn't recieve any traffic as you wont have any click.

On the other hand you could reg some names that don't get any traffic, make some minisites with adsense and try and get them into the search engines.

-Ben

•••
Got ya... It all makes sense and I feel a little silly for not having just realized this through common sense. Regardless, I'm appreciative of all of your help and would definitely love to hear any additional thoughts or suggestions around how to learn more about this whole world of domaining, site developing and the like. What exactly are minisites? Any good sources for additional information on them.

Thanks!

-Perhaps I'll do a little research on adsense. :)

•••
There's a domain newbie forum here, with a lot of FAQ stuff in it, you might take a look at.

The typo thing - you have to be careful, because if you reg a typo on a trademarked name, you could run into some nasty issues. And a good many typos on generic type things are taken. But if you have a knack for predicting future trends, you might luck onto something good.

•••
I'll certainly dig more into the Newbie section to see what I can uncover. That's a good thought as well regarding trademarking issues. One site that I had registered the other day is sprta.com. So, I'm hoping people are really interested in Sparta and have a few troubles with typing it!

Thanks

•••
xlb57 said:
One site that I had registered the other day is sprta.com. So, I'm hoping people are really interested in Sparta and have a few troubles with typing it!

Thanks

I would suggest not starting your domain career/hobby with TM typos. Sparta is a live trademark. For trademark checks, you can try Uspto.gov --> Trademarks---> Search TM Database ----> New User Form Search (Basic) ---> Enter your search query and submit. It should tell you if your name has a live TM in effect.

You can start buying a few names a week based on some keyword research tool findings. Thats a better way to go about buying names. Atleast, you are sure that people are searching for these keywords and you stand some chance that someone types it in. Plus, if you have a high KEI KW with less competition, you also have the option of later developing the name into a mini site or website.

•••
Thanks for letting me know... Hmm, what do I do now about sprta.com? Sheesh, a bit more to this than I thought!

Also, what is a "high KEI KW"?

Thanks

•••
xlb57 said:
Thanks for letting me know... Hmm, what do I do now about sprta.com? Sheesh, a bit more to this than I thought!

Also, what is a "high KEI KW"?

Thanks

Its your decision to retain or drop the name. Do whatever you feel is right.

KEI is the Keyword Effectiveness Index, a technology used by Wordtracker (keyword research tool), to find the competitiveness of a keyword. For example, I ran a few searches for hair loss keywords and then found the following results..

img12.jpg

The above data shows that in the past 24 hours the keyword "organin hair loss reviews" was searched almost 234 times on Google. The KEI for this keyword is 25947.000, which is because only 3 webpages on the internet contain these keywords while there are many searches for this Kw.

The higher the KEI, the better the Kw. But, now what? Organinhairlossreviews.com would be a good name to buy, but then again, it is a trademark. In essence, keyword research tools help you buy good names. My recent domain buy was minilaptopreviews.com. I feel, the name will hold some good potential in the future when mini laptops get more popular. You would do well, if you followed research based domain buying rather than just buying names which sound good to our thoughts.

Good luck :)

•••
Fantastic. Thank you so much for the help.

PM Sent.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back